7 replies to this topic

#1 sweetpea

sweetpea

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:26 PM

I was just wondering if there is a connection b/w celiac and pre-term labor. At 34 wks, my OB put me on daily meds to control the contractions (b/c I am dilating). I'll be on them for another week, and then she can just come when she comes. Not really sure why I would have pre-term labor, so I was curious if it could be related to the Celiac disease.
Diagnosed with Celiac disease (blood test and biopsy) April 2008.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 BeHappy!

BeHappy!

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:19 PM

Interesting. My daughter has celiac, and I ONLY had preterm labor with her. It started at 34 weeks.I had contractions almost all day 5 minutes apart until I gave birth 3 1\2 weeks later. I didn't have anything with any of my other kids.
Strange coincidence?

#3 T.H.

T.H.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:31 PM

Honestly, nothing would surprise me anymore, ya know? Celiac disease seems to have an effect on every system in our body, so why not the reproductive one, too?

For both my pregnancies, when I was undiagnosed as a celiac, I had massive braxton hicks starting at about 6 months. I had bed rest for the first, but knew what to do when it started the second time and took it easier. So...something definitely happened during my pregnancy, just not sure why.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#4 Emilushka

Emilushka

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:39 PM

Nothing has been supported by evidence in the scientific community so far. There are a lot of people with nutritional deficiencies or health that is otherwise compromised that have Braxton-Hicks contractions or preterm labor, but that's true across the board, not only with Celiac Disease. So it could be, but it could be as a secondary effect, too.

#5 Asianmom

Asianmom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:52 AM

I was wondering the exact same thing! I am only 7 1/2 weeks with my third child, but with my first two, which were both boys, I was NOT on a gluten free diet, and had pre-term labor with both! I had pre-term labor and lots of it with my first starting at 24 weeks, and with my second at 19 weeks and was on bedrest and a terbutaline pump for both. I delivered both boys 1 week after I came off the pump and the meds wore off. I am curious what the connection is. I know I read something in a medical journal (about a few years ago) that was published that listed undiagnosed women tend to have a higher incidence of pre-term labor...but can't remember if it was JAMA or whatever. This time I am praying for a different outcome as I am totally gluten free.

I will have to find the other posts about morning/all day sickness, and this one is WAY worse and I feel horrible and this time I am gluten free! UGH!

#6 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:27 AM

I was wondering the exact same thing! I am only 7 1/2 weeks with my third child, but with my first two, which were both boys, I was NOT on a gluten free diet, and had pre-term labor with both! I had pre-term labor and lots of it with my first starting at 24 weeks, and with my second at 19 weeks and was on bedrest and a terbutaline pump for both. I delivered both boys 1 week after I came off the pump and the meds wore off. I am curious what the connection is. I know I read something in a medical journal (about a few years ago) that was published that listed undiagnosed women tend to have a higher incidence of pre-term labor...but can't remember if it was JAMA or whatever. This time I am praying for a different outcome as I am totally gluten free.

I will have to find the other posts about morning/all day sickness, and this one is WAY worse and I feel horrible and this time I am gluten free! UGH!

OMG I so understand, I just went to the ER for the 2nd time in a month for extreme dehydration!! My OB actually sent me to get an IV, I was like "um....shouldn't I be better?" I took a phenergan at 4am and I am STILL dopey.

Man I hope this lets up soon, I so can't function like this!
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#7 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:03 PM

Nothing has been supported by evidence in the scientific community so far. There are a lot of people with nutritional deficiencies or health that is otherwise compromised that have Braxton-Hicks contractions or preterm labor, but that's true across the board, not only with Celiac Disease. So it could be, but it could be as a secondary effect, too.

Actually there is quite a bit of research out there. This is a good place to start but a search of PubMed will bring up quite a bit.

http://www.celiac.ni...veProblems.aspx

I should note that in most cases following the diet strictly takes care of many of the associated risks of miscarriage and infertility.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#8 glutenfreemama23

glutenfreemama23

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

This topic interests me greatly. With my first two children I was not gluten free. I was put on bedrest for contractions at 30 weeks with the first and 20 weeks with the second. When I found out I was pregnant last month I was gluten loading for a celiac biopsy (which I unfortunately had to cancel). I slowly stopped eating the wheat and went back to my gluten free diet. I was having crazy contractions at only 6 weeks along. For over a week now I have not have any incidence with contractions and am wondering if it was the gluten causing them. I am hoping to hear some good news from somebody who has had difficult pregnancies (due to contractions), then had a trouble free pregnancy after being gluten free. Anybody out there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: