This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Oh Man, I Think I Am Corn Intolerant

kdonov2

kdonov2 Contributor

So I noticed that many people are corn intolerant on these forums and I decided to pay special attention to when I ate corn products. I am intolerant of dairy and gluten and one of the main symptoms I have if I eat them, is an insatiable hunger, nothing will fill me up. So, yesterday, after I ate a spaghetti squash pesto dinner that filled me up, I thought I would see what would happen if I ate tortilla chips (gluten free organic). Even though I was full before, as I ate the corn chips, I started feeling hungry again, like I could eat the whole bag. Is that a sure sign? Also, the other day I ate a bit of chicken which was quite filling but also decided to try a few bits of some corn salad, and then again I was hungry when I had previously not been. Also, I tried to go on formula made especially for people with food intolerances and GI tract impairment, but the main ingredient was corn-syrup solids. This stuff is 475 calories a serving mind you, but it never fills me up. I called the hotline asking about this and they said the majority of people with corn intolerances can handle corn syrup for some reason unless they were EXTREMELY intolerant. Could I be one of those people? I feel like if anything, I would be mildly affected by my intolerances because I do get deathly ill for days on end or have to run to the bathroom like so many other people I have heard from with intolerances. So, what does this all mean? Can I be hurt moreso by foods I am intolerant than other people with worse symptoms? That is really uncool if I am intolerant of corn too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cahill Collaborator

So I noticed that many people are corn intolerant on these forums and I decided to pay special attention to when I ate corn products. I am intolerant of dairy and gluten and one of the main symptoms I have if I eat them, is an insatiable hunger, nothing will fill me up. So, yesterday, after I ate a spaghetti squash pesto dinner that filled me up, I thought I would see what would happen if I ate tortilla chips (gluten free organic). Even though I was full before, as I ate the corn chips, I started feeling hungry again, like I could eat the whole bag. Is that a sure sign? Also, the other day I ate a bit of chicken which was quite filling but also decided to try a few bits of some corn salad, and then again I was hungry when I had previously not been. Also, I tried to go on formula made especially for people with food intolerances and GI tract impairment, but the main ingredient was corn-syrup solids. This stuff is 475 calories a serving mind you, but it never fills me up. I called the hotline asking about this and they said the majority of people with corn intolerances can handle corn syrup for some reason unless they were EXTREMELY intolerant. Could I be one of those people? I feel like if anything, I would be mildly affected by my intolerances because I do get deathly ill for days on end or have to run to the bathroom like so many other people I have heard from with intolerances. So, what does this all mean? Can I be hurt moreso by foods I am intolerant than other people with worse symptoms? That is really uncool if I am intolerant of corn too.

I just this past week when completely grain free.

I had been using some rice flour in my cooking and eating corn. I cut out all grains for a week or so and then I had some tortillas ,to see how I would react,,,,OH MY GOODNESS :wacko: I had such a food binge that night and the next day,,,It was horrible,,I was completely out of control.I had noticed the same type of reaction to High Fructose Corn Syrup in the past and had all ready eliminated any thing with HFCS,... So needless to say i am now corn free.

I am fairly new to these forums and I will be interested in what the others have to say.

I need to update my signature to read:

Gluten and wheat free since Oct 2009

Corn and Soy free NOV 2010

Completely Grain free Nov 2010

kdonov2 Contributor

I just this past week when completely grain free.

I had been using some rice flour in my cooking and eating corn. I cut out all grains for a week or so and then I had some tortillas ,to see how I would react,,,,OH MY GOODNESS :wacko: I had such a food binge that night and the next day,,,It was horrible,,I was completely out of control.I had noticed the same type of reaction to High Fructose Corn Syrup in the past and had all ready eliminated any thing with HFCS,... So needless to say i am now corn free.

I am fairly new to these forums and I will be interested in what the others have to say.

I need to update my signature to read:

Gluten and wheat free since Oct 2009

Corn and Soy free NOV 2010

Completely Grain free Nov 2010

Thanks,

It is always nice to hear from another person about their experiences. I know that I feel better off of all grains, even brown rice, the most hypoallergenic. I must say that I admire the strength of people who have all these food intolerances who so willingly cut out the problem foods in their diet. Going grain free is probably what is best for me, but I do not want to let go of them so I keep making excuses such as, "Before I make these decisions, I will get tested to make sure," then never make any appointments to get any sort of testing done while continuing to eat the problem food.

cassP Contributor

Thanks,

It is always nice to hear from another person about their experiences. I know that I feel better off of all grains, even brown rice, the most hypoallergenic. I must say that I admire the strength of people who have all these food intolerances who so willingly cut out the problem foods in their diet. Going grain free is probably what is best for me, but I do not want to let go of them so I keep making excuses such as, "Before I make these decisions, I will get tested to make sure," then never make any appointments to get any sort of testing done while continuing to eat the problem food.

maybe you could compromise... like eat mainly grain free... and then save grains for special occasions or once a week.. ???

also- did u see this thread today:

jenngolightly Contributor

I must say that I admire the strength of people who have all these food intolerances who so willingly cut out the problem foods in their diet.

I just wanted to give you some support.

I cut out all grains and much more 6 months ago and I don't know if "willingly" is a good word for it. There comes a point for many people when it's no longer a choice... So you can exchange the word "willing" with "resigned." I am resigned to cut problem foods from my diet. It's still a struggle almost every day. I really want to eat a french fry, chocolate, rice, corn, sugar... In fact, yesterday I asked dd if it would be okay if I just chewed on one of her french fries and then spit it out before I swallowed it. Now that's pretty disgusting and I didn't do it because I'm pretty sure some of that potato would make it to my digestive tract, but it also shows you that I'm not exactly "willing" to give up the foods I'm intolerant to.

What I suggest to you, before you give up the food you think you're intolerant to, is to make a list of all the nasty side effects that you experience now. Be graphic! Tape them to the front of the fridge. That way, any time you are considering taking a french fry, chewing it up and then spitting it out (yuck), you can look at that list and remember how terrible you used to feel.

Lesson for today? It's hard to give up a food - and it may get easier, but there will be bad days ahead. Your french fry (in whatever form it takes) will test your resolve every single day.

cassP Contributor

oh, im no saint... have not been able to avoid all my intolerances... im still eating dairy.. and still indulge in frozen creamy coffee drinks- even tho they have an OBVIOUS NEGATIVE EFFECT on my intestines :(

it was much easier to give up my high fructose foods- because the fructose put me in UNBEARABLE pain- and it's much easier to give up

i worry sometimes tho about my indulgences.. cause i keep reading how Dairy & Corn can damage the gut too or cause inflammatory responses.. soy too- but i rarely eat that

bellysbetter Newbie

Corn IS a gluten they are now saying

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
Muffy Rookie

I had the same problem with corn, it makes me crave everything as if I had eaten refined sugar....and it makes me sick.

There is a danger that those of us with less severe symptoms can cause more damage to ourselves since there may be less motivation to eliminate the food. My gluten issues affected my digestive tract the least of all my symptoms, I would have never guessed that I had internal damage so bad that part of my intestine needed to be removed. If my guts had hurt regulary, I may have investigated why and went gluten-free before so much damage had been done.

DanielleJ Newbie

Hi! I was recently diagnosed with Celiac and I cut out all gluten and immediately started feeling better. I was used to having oatmeal for breakfast everyday and continued to do so (Quaker..not special gluten-free kind). It hadn't given me any problems. Recently I got on a Mexican food kick and started eating sopes (similar to corn tortillas) pretty much every night (haha when i find something that works i stick with it...) Anyway, ALL of my gluten-related symptoms came back (tingly arms and hands, severe back stomach and arm pain, bloating, cramping, etc) The ONLY new thing in my diet is the corn. Are corn intolerance symptoms manifested in the same way as gluten intolerance? ....Is it more likely that my oats are cross-contaminated and my body is just now showing a reaction? Geez, if I can't eat corn and gluten I'll really have to get creative ;)

Dixiebell Contributor

Hi DanielleJ! Welcome!

Just a thought- You might want to test plain corn to see if you react to it. The sopes could be cross- contaiminated in the processing plant. And it is possible that the oats are CC as well. Try cutting them both out for a few days and then add only one back at a time to see if you react to it.

Muffy Rookie

I've been gluten-free for 9 months and at first felt so much better despite the corn I was still eating but the longer I was gluten-free the more corn started to bother me. I am still trying to figure out the CC/actual corn intolernace equation myself but one thing that both myself and others I have spoken to have experienced is that the longer you are gluten-free the more sensitive to it you can be.

I just recenly started to notice when I absorb gluten through the skin right away, instead of having to piece it together later after the symptoms appeared. I guess this can and should pass as well....still learning.

Good luck with the whole Creativity thing! wink.gif

Hi! I was recently diagnosed with Celiac and I cut out all gluten and immediately started feeling better. I was used to having oatmeal for breakfast everyday and continued to do so (Quaker..not special gluten-free kind). It hadn't given me any problems. Recently I got on a Mexican food kick and started eating sopes (similar to corn tortillas) pretty much every night (haha when i find something that works i stick with it...) Anyway, ALL of my gluten-related symptoms came back (tingly arms and hands, severe back stomach and arm pain, bloating, cramping, etc) The ONLY new thing in my diet is the corn. Are corn intolerance symptoms manifested in the same way as gluten intolerance? ....Is it more likely that my oats are cross-contaminated and my body is just now showing a reaction? Geez, if I can't eat corn and gluten I'll really have to get creative wink.gif

T.H. Community Regular

Anyway, ALL of my gluten-related symptoms came back (tingly arms and hands, severe back stomach and arm pain, bloating, cramping, etc) The ONLY new thing in my diet is the corn. Are corn intolerance symptoms manifested in the same way as gluten intolerance? ....Is it more likely that my oats are cross-contaminated and my body is just now showing a reaction? Geez, if I can't eat corn and gluten I'll really have to get creative ;)

Honestly, I think the most likely thing is the CORN is cross-contaminated. After oats, soy and corn have the highest CC rates, I understand, because they are often grown in the same fields as wheat, as a rotation crop. Almost all corn in North America is also milled together with wheat. I believe Maseca brand is one of the only ones where they only process corn in the whole facility. That may no longer be current, however.

But considering your reaction to this corn is the same as your gluten one, that seems even more likely that it's cc.

If you want to test it out, go get some fresh corn on the cob in the produce section, with the husk still on, and make sure to be careful when peeling off the husk. If you react to that, it makes it more likely it's the corn itself. But if that's okay, or you get less of a reaction, then it's probably the gluten cc.

That was pretty much exactly what happened to me. I reacted to corn like gangbusters and thought it was the corn itself, but after a number of months, I've finally figured out that it's the darn gluten. ugh. <_<

• 2 weeks later...
CarolinaKip Community Regular

I was still having terrible bloating with side cramps even though I was free of so much. I went corn free and felt so much better. I tried to have hard candies etc, but even those bothered me. I can now button my pants after a year! If I eat corn or corn products, I will bloat so badly I look pregnant and I will cramp bad! I try to be very strict, but even I fall off the wagon. I went to pfChangs over Christmas because I recieved a giftcard. It was wonderful, but I paid for it.

Archived