This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Constipation While On Elimination Diet

Loey

Loey Rising Star

I'm currently on the elimination diet - mainly eating rice, veggies, and eggs. I take fiber con (as per GI doctor) but am extremely constipated. Any suggestions from you wonderful experts? I prefer it to D but hey, I much rather be regular!!!!

Loey biggrin.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

Did you have less/no C before the elimination diet? If so, have you begun eating more of something since?

Not all fiber supplements are gluten-free, so do check with the manufacturer to be certain. You may also try plain ground psyllium husk, usually available at health food stores. Some foods are naturally high in fiber, such as green peas, shredded coconut, lentils and other legumes, some nuts and seeds. Some grains like teff and amaranth are also good sources, though not nearly as good as lentils. However, not everyone does well with increasing fiber intake. So you might consider a magnesium supplement, or Milk of Magnesia.

If you're eating white rice, I'd recommend brown. There are many different types to choose from, so if you don't like one, try another. Or, perhaps it is rice itself which your body doesn't like. In that case, try buckwheat (not related to wheat), sorghum, millet, or lentils. Buckwheat is actually not even a grain, but it works like one. It is related to rhubarb, and cooks very quickly (10-20 minutes). Roasted buckwheat (aka Kasha) cooks faster, or can be eaten as a cold cereal, as it is already cooked. In this form, it is very crunchy, and is reminiscent of grapenuts, though I think it's even crunchier.

BTW, in case you haven't heard, Rice Dream is not gluten-free, despite the label claims.

Loey Rising Star

Did you have less/no D before the elimination diet? If so, have you begun eating more of something since?

Not all fiber supplements are gluten-free, so do check with the manufacturer to be certain. You may also try plain ground psyllium husk, usually available at health food stores. Some foods are naturally high in fiber, such as green peas, shredded coconut, lentils and other legumes, some nuts and seeds. Some grains like teff and amaranth are also good sources, though not nearly as good as lentils. However, not everyone does well with increasing fiber intake. So you might consider a magnesium supplement, or Milk of Magnesia.

If you're eating white rice, I'd recommend brown. There are many different types to choose from, so if you don't like one, try another. Or, perhaps it is rice itself which your body doesn't like. In that case, try buckwheat (not related to wheat), sorghum, millet, or lentils. Buckwheat is actually not even a grain, but it works like one. It is related to rhubarb, and cooks very quickly (10-20 minutes). Roasted buckwheat (aka Kasha) cooks faster, or can be eaten as a cold cereal, as it is already cooked. In this form, it is very crunchy, and is reminiscent of grapenuts, though I think it's even crunchier.

BTW, in case you haven't heard, Rice Dream is not gluten-free, despite the label claims.

Thanks so much for al of the info. I do eat a lot of rice- jasmine or basmati or rice noodles. I also eat brown rice. I tend to stay away from white rice. I drink Almond Breeze because I'm avoiding dairy right now. I was eating chicken but it got to the point where I couldn't stand the smell or taste of it. I think I'm turning into a vegetarian. I recently baked a cake using buckwheat and enjoyed it. The constipation usually lasts for a few days and then I seem to make up for lost time (TMI?). I don't have a stomach ache from it but I want to be regular again.

Here's my history with this illness. When I first got sick in May of 2010 I was bedridden for 6 weeks with D after a course of Augmentin. My GP thought I had C-Dif and treated me with Flagyl and probiotics. He immediately sent me to a GI who performed all of the appropriate tests. I tested positive for Celiac in every one of them. Unfortunately we were moving out of state right after my son's graduation in June (I didn't even think I'd be able to make the graduation but luckily was able to). I literally got copies of all of my test results the night before we moved. My old GI wanted my me to have a capsule endoscopy as soon as I found a GI in my new town.

My new GI teated me like a head case and didn't think it was necessary (I think he thought I was shopping for pain meds and that's the last thing I wanted for a number of reasons. Didn't want to mask the pain or get addicted). I was doing fairly well following the gluten-free diet when I first moved until I started using the products that claimed to be gluten-free. After about 5 weeks I had a serious flare and have been in excruciating abdominal and lower back pain for about six weeks. About 4 weeks ago I started to have serious pain under my breastbone. At that point I put my foot down and insisted he order the capsule endoscopy. I did have a referral for a new doctor if he continued to dismiss me. I had the capsule endoscopy 4 weeks ago and he called me the next day. Total 360 in his attitude and demeanor. No longer dismissive. They found an ulcer and I have my biopsy this coming Friday. Because I live in a very small town and he wanted a special anesthesiologist (due to medications I'm on). It's been a LONG wait for the procedure. The pain is relentless but I'm a pretty tough cookie.

Sorry this was so long. Just wanted to fill you in on my history with this disease.

Thanks again for your help.

Loey biggrin.gif

Loey Rising Star

Did you have less/no C before the elimination diet? If so, have you begun eating more of something since?

P.S. Also using Hemp seed.

cassP Contributor

i like Psyllium..

i like Ghee (about 1 tbs a day), and L-Glutamine (1 heaping tbs with 8oz water... they both help your small intestine work and they "smooth" out things if u know what i mean B)

can u handle fruit right now??? pears KILL me- but they really help with going to the bathroom! or a nice big mango late in the afternoon helps with the next morning bathroom visit...

good luck

Loey Rising Star

i like Psyllium..

i like Ghee (about 1 tbs a day), and L-Glutamine (1 heaping tbs with 8oz water... they both help your small intestine work and they "smooth" out things if u know what i mean B)

can u handle fruit right now??? pears KILL me- but they really help with going to the bathroom! or a nice big mango late in the afternoon helps with the next morning bathroom visit...

good luck

Thanks for the good advice. I was only eating apples. I do love mangos. I have an ulcer and will be having a biopsy this Friday. I'm avoiding anything acidic right now Not to sound stupid, but are pears or mangos acidic?

I'll get either the psyllium or L-Glutamine. Just don't want to return to the big D ohmy.gif.

Loey

gf-soph Apprentice

Thanks for the good advice. I was only eating apples. I do love mangos. I have an ulcer and will be having a biopsy this Friday. I'm avoiding anything acidic right now Not to sound stupid, but are pears or mangos acidic?

I'll get either the psyllium or L-Glutamine. Just don't want to return to the big D ohmy.gif.

Loey

I'm doing an elimination diet too, only veggies are potatoes, celery and swede, no fruit or grains. I eat as much celery as I can handle, but I also find things easier when I have a little extra fat in the diet. I don't absorb fat too well, so as long as i keep it moderate it helps the situation. Also make sure you are getting plenty of liquid to stay hypdrated, this seems to help too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

Loey

wow, im not sure if the mangos are acidic???

but if you can handle apples- then, you should switch to pears- they help even more

UnhappyCoeliac Enthusiast

-Alot of water helps me with constipation.. I mean stand there and drink 3 big glasses

and about 4 litres a day.

Also had some problems on an elimination diet, it confused me I ignored it, It went

cap6 Enthusiast

I found this "recipe" and have followed it faithfully for the past six weeks. After a lifetime of issues and months of severe C (I was taking daily laxatives) I'm working!

sorry - this is sort of long

1. Every morning take 2 stool sofetners & a glass of fiber supplement (metamucil or similar)

2. right after consuming the fiber take a L-Glutamine

3. at lunch time take a probiotic supplement (Nature's Way Reuteri Pearls or similar)

4. Late afternoon take a flax oil supplement

5. Throughout the day take ground flax seed. I sprinkle it on my food at different meals.

6. drink plenty of water

7. regular daily exercise of some kind

8. bedtime take fiber supplement (metamucil or..) and 2 stool softeners.

I know it sounds involved but it worked when nothing else did. My Dr assured me that stool softeners were long term safe, they are not the same as laxatives. It took 2 weeks to get things normal and I was taking laxatives during that time just to keep things moving (no pun!!). I can honestly say that I have never known what "normal" was till now. Hope this helps you -

Loey Rising Star

i like Psyllium..

good luck

Thanks Cass!

Loey

Loey Rising Star

I found this "recipe" and have followed it faithfully for the past six weeks. After a lifetime of issues and months of severe C (I was taking daily laxatives) I'm working!

sorry - this is sort of long

1. Every morning take 2 stool sofetners & a glass of fiber supplement (metamucil or similar)

2. right after consuming the fiber take a L-Glutamine

3. at lunch time take a probiotic supplement (Nature's Way Reuteri Pearls or similar)

4. Late afternoon take a flax oil supplement

5. Throughout the day take ground flax seed. I sprinkle it on my food at different meals.

6. drink plenty of water

7. regular daily exercise of some kind

8. bedtime take fiber supplement (metamucil or..) and 2 stool softeners.

I know it sounds involved but it worked when nothing else did. My Dr assured me that stool softeners were long term safe, they are not the same as laxatives. It took 2 weeks to get things normal and I was taking laxatives during that time just to keep things moving (no pun!!). I can honestly say that I have never known what "normal" was till now. Hope this helps you -

Thanks,

You guys all rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loey cool.gif

RiceGuy Collaborator

i like Psyllium..

good luck

Interesting. L-Glutamine seems to have the opposite effect on me, though somewhat mild.

Also interesting that you mentioned mango. I recently made a coconut mango pie, and the next day I was pretty sure there was a "boost", if you know what I mean.

As for the other question about pears or mango and acidity, I wouldn't call either acidic. At least not like citrus fruits or even various berries.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I recently baked a cake using buckwheat and enjoyed it.

I hope that isn't Arrowhead Mills Buckwheat flour, as it is gluten-contaminated. Took me months to figure that one out. It can be tough finding one that is safe. Same for buckwheat groats. The only safe buckwheat flour I know of so far is from Open Original Shared Link. Or, if you get safe groats, grind them in a seed/coffee grinder. Avoid buying bulk groats, as they are not going to be safe (unless the supplier specifically tests for gluten, but I've never seen one claiming to do it).

Loey Rising Star

I hope that isn't Arrowhead Mills Buckwheat flour, as it is gluten-contaminated. Took me months to figure that one out. It can be tough finding one that is safe. Same for buckwheat groats. The only safe buckwheat flour I know of so far is from Open Original Shared Link. Or, if you get safe groats, grind them in a seed/coffee grinder. Avoid buying bulk groats, as they are not going to be safe (unless the supplier specifically tests for gluten, but I've never seen one claiming to do it).

I'll have to check. i went to a health food store with someone I met on this forum who lives in my state and she walked me though the products row by row. I think she would know about the Arrowhead Mills. I'll check when I go downstairs to turn the setting down on my crock pot dinner.

Thanks for all of your help!

Loey smile.gif

Loey Rising Star

I'll have to check. i went to a health food store with someone I met on this forum who lives in my state and she walked me though the products row by row. I think she would know about the Arrowhead Mills. I'll check when I go downstairs to turn the setting down on my crock pot dinner.

Thanks for all of your help!

Loey smile.gif

It was Arrowhead Roots so I guess my husband will be eating the things I baked with it. I'll get the other kind that you mentioned when I'm out. I didn't feel well after eating a piece of the spice bread I made using it so now I know why. I have it in a plastic bag in my fridge - should I get it out of there so I don't get CC'd? I'm VERY sensitive right now.

Thanks!

Loey sad.gif

P.S. I feel like I could feed a third world nation (or our homeless) with all of the "supposedly" gluten-free food I bought and then all of the non gluten-free food I got rid of after my diagnosis!

Cypressmyst Explorer

Hi Loey,

I'm sorry to see you are still feeling so bad. :( I know that at various stages in the healing process our bodies may not be able to handle foods that should be otherwise safe. That could be what is going on with you.

Also, this may go without saying, but it is very important to make sure you are drinking enough water, especially this time of year. That can also cause C problems.

What foods were supposed to be gluten-free and then weren't?

RiceGuy Collaborator

It was Arrowhead Roots so I guess my husband will be eating the things I baked with it. I'll get the other kind that you mentioned when I'm out. I didn't feel well after eating a piece of the spice bread I made using it so now I know why. I have it in a plastic bag in my fridge - should I get it out of there so I don't get CC'd? I'm VERY sensitive right now.

That's a good question. I think as long as it is in a plastic bag, I suppose it shouldn't get into your other foods. However, if you bake with it, do be careful not to allow it to poof up into the air, or you'll be breathing it in. And, make certain to thoroughly scrub out any utensils and pans it comes in contact with. The amount of gluten is of course relatively small, so it's not nearly as risky as a bag of wheat flour, but some precautions should be taken I think.

Loey Rising Star

That's a good question. I think as long as it is in a plastic bag, I suppose it shouldn't get into your other foods. However, if you bake with it, do be careful not to allow it to poof up into the air, or you'll be breathing it in. And, make certain to thoroughly scrub out any utensils and pans it comes in contact with. The amount of gluten is of course relatively small, so it's not nearly as risky as a bag of wheat flour, but some precautions should be taken I think.

I might just give it away and order the other buckwheat flour. My son will be home for Thanksgiving and then for a long break between semesters. I's like to be able to safely bake. Thanks again for all of your help!

Loey smile.gif

Loey Rising Star

Hi Loey,

I'm sorry to see you are still feeling so bad. :( I know that at various stages in the healing process our bodies may not be able to handle foods that should be otherwise safe. That could be what is going on with you.

Also, this may go without saying, but it is very important to make sure you are drinking enough water, especially this time of year. That can also cause C problems.

What foods were supposed to be gluten-free and then weren't?

A lot of the boxed products that they sell that say they are gluten free have either things I'm allergic to in them or preservatives we shouldn't be eating. Also, if you look above, RiceGuy mentioned that Arrowhead Mills Buckwheat Flour is cross contaminated. I used that last week to bake a cake for my friends when they visited. Damned if I do, Damned if I don't!

Going back to bed for a while. I have my ulcer biopsy this Friday and caught something from my son this weekend. I WILL NOT tell my GI that I'm sick. I've already waited 4 weeks for the procedure and I am determined to have it this Friday!!! I have to go out tomorrow so I figure I'll do all of my errands then. Then I can spend Thursday resting as well.

The consensus on the forum has been if I just have a sore throat but no fever or escalated symptoms the GI wouldn't want to reschedule.

Loey ohmy.gif (that's me saying aaaah to show my throat)

Cypressmyst Explorer

I know. CC is the devil. Even when we are being good, nope no fun for us.

Still...knowing what it feels like to not be sick, to truly not be sick...that is worth the PITA that is this lifestyle. Hands down. ;)

Loey Posted Image (that's me saying aaaah to show my throat)

You are too cute. :P

Evie4 Apprentice

After resolving most of my "C" issues once going gluten free, I still struggled sometimes with certain foods. I am now taking 250 mg magnesium oxide daily and I am quite regular. I stumbled on to some literature about how there are many people low in this mineral. You can read much about (magnesium supplementation) from many sources on line. I've never been big on supplements, but knowing that I suffered from malabsorption for so long, I figured reasearching and obtaining quality supplements was a wise for me.

I had tried everything from more water, fiber, fruits/vegetables etc. and those things just didn't help. It was terribly frustrating to do all the "right" stuff and still suffer. I know how difficult living with constipation is, I hope you are able to find relief.

Loey Rising Star

After resolving most of my "C" issues once going gluten free, I still struggled sometimes with certain foods. I am now taking 250 mg magnesium oxide daily and I am quite regular. I stumbled on to some literature about how there are many people low in this mineral. You can read much about (magnesium supplementation) from many sources on line. I've never been big on supplements, but knowing that I suffered from malabsorption for so long, I figured reasearching and obtaining quality supplements was a wise for me.

I had tried everything from more water, fiber, fruits/vegetables etc. and those things just didn't help. It was terribly frustrating to do all the "right" stuff and still suffer. I know how difficult living with constipation is, I hope you are able to find relief.

Thanks Evie (I'm guessing that's your name),

The Fiber-Con does seem to give me relief every few days or so. I think part of the problem is that rice is a large part of my diet right now. I'll try the magnesium after I have the biopsy of my ulcer on Friday. Don't want to add anything in before then.

Thanks for your support!

Loey

cap6 Enthusiast

is fiber-con better than using metamucil?

Loey Rising Star

is fiber-con better than using metamucil?

The Fiber-Con seems to be working (YAY). They gave me MiraLax to cleanse me before the capsule endoscopy and that didn't work. I was constipated for the procedure, very uncomfortable and afraid I'd have the camera come out t before it was supposed to. My husband and the nurse told me that wouldn't happen because it takes at least 7 hours to make it through the intestinal tract. Basically I held it in all day and was miserable. The test results is where they discovered the ulcer. I have my biopsy tomorrow. At least I don't have to do a cleanse for that. A little nervous because the authorization form listed a lot of other procedures. My husband said it was basic CYA plus if they find something else they're not going to want to put me under again. I feel like a guinea pig right now!!!!!

I like the Fiber Con because it's in pill form and you can take one or two of them as needed. Trying to eat more vegetable and that is starting to help with the constipation. I have never been regular. When I was in my 30's and did a lot of traveling I had trouble with D. I abused Immodium and that may have added to my problems. Never shared that with my doctors until I got seriously ill last June.

Thanks for listening and the support!

Loey unsure.gif (a little scared of tomorrow)

Archived