3 replies to this topic

#1 catarific

catarific

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:43 PM

I have IBS and usually after an attack of IBS-D, I would stop having coffee and dairy products, drink Gatoraid, eat rice, noodles, crackers, bread, etc. and I was fine in a day or two. But this go round, after having had either a very bad stomach virus or food poisoning, none of the above foods helped. I have been this way since early September. Recently I have found that if I stop eating the rice, noodles, crackers, and bread, I feel so much better. Now I am wondering if I have Celiac or wheat intolerance. I am going to the gastroenterologist this week. Is it possible to have IBS and Celiac at the same time? And if it turns out to be Celiac or wheat intolerance, and if a strict diet is adhered to, how long will it take to feel good all the time or is it like IBS where you feel good sometimes but then take two steps backward?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:50 PM

Many of us here have come to the conclusion that IBS stands for something different than Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

From the patient's perspective:
"It's Bull Sh*t."

From the Doctor's perspective:
"I've Been Stumped."

I, for one, agree. IBS is not a diagnosis, it is a label for symptoms when the doctors don't know the cause (and have probably not even considered celiac disease).
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:53 PM

i agree! it's bs

if you want to figure out if you have a gluten intolerance- you need to ask a doctor to test you- and you need to be eating gluten regularly (like 4 pieces of bread a day for 6-8 weeks at least) if you want an accurate test.
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#4 catarific

catarific

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:13 PM

thanks for the replies. I really do not want to continue eating gluten - because when I stop, I feel so much better - and the thought of eating gluten, and the after affects - yuck! I meet with the doctor tomorrow and see what he says.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: