4 replies to this topic

#1 gemstar8069

gemstar8069

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:37 AM

HELP! my six year old has been suffering with chronic constipation since i she was two. we never noticed till i potty trained her but she gets so imapacted she by passes. i have seen doctors and pediatritions who just gave me types of laxatives that dont help we are currently gettin her tested for celiacs after me researching lots on here i m wondering if anyone has similar stories with costipation being one of the main symptoms i need all the help and advise i can get my poor girl doesnt understand why she aint like the other kids and she poops in her pants( which is the bypassing). i dont want to put her gluten free till we get all the testing we can the doctor is doing a blood test for celiacs and testing her iGa levels

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 burdee

burdee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:33 PM

HELP! my six year old has been suffering with chronic constipation since i she was two. we never noticed till i potty trained her but she gets so imapacted she by passes. i have seen doctors and pediatritions who just gave me types of laxatives that dont help we are currently gettin her tested for celiacs after me researching lots on here i m wondering if anyone has similar stories with costipation being one of the main symptoms i need all the help and advise i can get my poor girl doesnt understand why she aint like the other kids and she poops in her pants( which is the bypassing). i dont want to put her gluten free till we get all the testing we can the doctor is doing a blood test for celiacs and testing her iGa levels

Chronic constipation (plus bloated tummy) was my main symptom at age 6. Unfortunately my pediatrician agreed with my mom's dx that I was just getting too chubby. So he told my mom to restrict sweets and substitute skim milk. SIGH

At age 52 I had hemorrhoid surgery after years of chronic constipation. Nobody bothered to ask why I had lifelong constipation. Unfortunately my docs continued to label my symptoms (constipation, bloating, cramping gut pain, gas) as "IBS". After several episodes of impacted stools at age 56 I self diagnosed and used Enterolab tests. My naturopath agreed with their diagnosis. However I also had casein allergy which often causes constipation. Maybe if I hadn't had casein allergy, I would have fit the classic celiac disease profile of 'diarrhea, thin, short, bloated tummy'.

You're doing everything you can by keeping your daughter on gluten and getting blood tests. Don't give up if those tests come back negative. You can try an empirical test of removing all gluten from her diet and seeing how she does or you can go through Enterolab which does stool tests. Those are accurate even after a gluten free period.

SUE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#3 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:48 PM

My son was severely constipated, the Dr. found out by x-ray. He had him take the full dose of miralax everyday. I honestly do not remember how long he was on it. Maybe two months. Finally he started having more regular bm's and we were able to lessen the dose to 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 and now he does't need it at all. I believe what miralax does is it helps more water to be in the intestine so the bm's move along. It can take a couple of days for you to see results. We also took his dairy away. I think that helped.
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

#4 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:55 PM

constipation was my main symptom too. sometimes i would have constipated "D"... or constipated "fatty/malabsorption" movements... but mainly the world's worst "C".
i only got the "classic D urges" in the middle of the day if i had milk.. which im guessing was the lactose intolerance (acquired after gluten damage).
good luck with all the testing!!
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#5 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:17 PM

count me in as another constipation sufferer from gluten. I had no idea they were related until I went off gluten and the constipation went away.

Honestly, if the tests come back negative? I'd give a gluten free diet a try for a few weeks, just to see, because some can have an intolerance without it being celiac disease, from what I hear.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: