7 replies to this topic

#1 Dolphin324

Dolphin324

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:34 PM

Hey, I am going to start a petition to try and get Pizza Hut to begin serving gluten free pizzas. I know it probably won't make a difference, but it's worth a try. I'm composing what the petition will say right now. I would appreciate input on what to add and take out. Thanks :)

So far I have this:
We, the undersigned, would like Pizza Hut provide gluten free pizza for the people who are unable to eat gluten, due to Celiac Disease or other causes.
Pizza Hut would bring in more business if they did begin providing gluten free pizza, because it would draw people with allergies to gluten since not alot of pizza places provide gluten free pizza.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:22 PM

Some of the godfathers have gluten-free pizza. It's made in a gluten-free facility and wrapped, frozen & shipped to the store. They have special pans & utensils. It's ok not great. But sometimes it's good to be able to order pizza. I wouldn't feel safe with gluten-free pizza from Pizza Hut unless it's done like that. Might want to add something about be careful not to cc.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 shopgirl

shopgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:37 PM

Eating pizza that came out of a kitchen where flour is just flung about willy nilly? No, thanks, but good luck. :)

Homemade pizza = much healthier and much yummier. No fear of cross contamination or greasy fingers.
"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

#4 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:59 PM

You can use the gluten free Bisquick. The pizza crust recipe is on the back. It's really good. Add your cheese, Hormel pep. and veggies and you are all set!

Pizza hut "gluten free" would scare me. I would never order it.

#5 tennisman

tennisman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:24 PM

Eating pizza that came out of a kitchen where flour is just flung about willy nilly? No, thanks, but good luck. :)

Homemade pizza = much healthier and much yummier. No fear of cross contamination or greasy fingers.

Can you recommend any recipes for a homemade pizza ? I have always wanted to try to make pizza :D
Diagnosed with Coeliac disease in 2003

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:33 PM

With the right approach, it is possible. Here where I live (Ontario, Canada) there are at least three major pizza chains now offering a gluten-free option.

Pizza Pizza was the first, and they worked with the Canadian Celiac Association to develop safe practices. The crusts are shipped to the location pre-made in one size only (medium), and special processes, along with dedicated baking pans and color-codes distinct utensils (they're bright red), minimize the cc risk. I have had them on several occasions with no problems. The first time I went and watched the process from the counter.

Pizza Nova also now has a gluten-free medium crust, but I haven't tried it.

Boston Pizza offers gluten-free individual pizzas at all locations. They use Kinnikinnick crusts. We've been twice and had a good experience both times.

You need to also watch the toppings. Most are gluten-free, but a few aren't. Boston Pizza marks the gluten-free ones with an asterisk on the menu. Pizza Pizza and Pizza Nova have allergen info online and in-store.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 Dolphin324

Dolphin324

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:25 PM

I'd feel safe eating it.

So, for those who also would like gluten free pizza at Pizza Hut, what suggestions/comments do you have?

#8 MelindaLee

MelindaLee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:02 PM

Can you recommend any recipes for a homemade pizza ? I have always wanted to try to make pizza :D

My local bar/restaurant gets Gluten Free Pantry Pizza and French Bread mix. I havent bothered since there is so good! But I have seen the mix all over the place. This was the first thing I had in a restaurant, 2 days after going gluten-free. I was sold immediately! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: