This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Confused. Have Lab Results, Waiting To Hear From Dr

quigleyla

quigleyla Newbie

Hello everyone,

I recieved my labwork today for questionable celiac disease. My tissue transglutam ab igg was <3 u/ml (negative). My gliadin ab igg was 25, and my gliadin ab iga was 20 (both weakly positive). Does this mean that I have celiac disease, and what classifies "weakly positive" on a clinical basis?

Any help is greatly appricated!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

quigleyla Newbie

I want to add my symptoms to this.

When I was 12, my menstrual cycle was very heavy, bleeding for 2 weeks a month. Testing was done from a gyne point of view and no diagnosis was made. I was placed on vit b12 and iron due to anemia. I have since outgrown this.

I have had migraines and photophobia since I was 8 years old. Told to take ibprofen. Headaches are decreased, but still occur occasionally.

Starting at the age of 13, I started to have stomach problems. After eating ANYTHING, I would have severe cramping with multiple bowel movements. I became a vegetarian after this because it seemed to settle with eating only vegetable and fruit. I was diagnosed with IBS but did not have any improvement with treatment. I still have these symptoms if I do not take my medication regulary which includes align, lexapro, and nortriptoline. All for IBS. I was told to increase my fiber, but that only made it severly worse. I now have severe constipation with severe bloating. Making me look like i am 9 months pregnant at times. I also am having a hard time losing weight. When I do, I am so bloated that I don't fit in smaller sizes.

I deciced to find a gastro dr who sent me for the bloodwork and brought up ciliacs disease. Previously my treatment came from my pcp.

Dixiebell Contributor

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry, I am not good with the test results but many others here are. If you are done with all of your testing you can start the gluten free lifestyle.

mushroom Proficient

Labs use ranges to report their results in, the ranges varying from lab to lab. If you are under a certain number (let's just say 5) your test is classified as negative; if your results fall within another range (let's presuppose 6-10 for illustrative purposes), they may classify you as weakly positive; then if your numbers are 11 or above you are strongly positive on their ranges. Without knowing the range the particular lab uses, there is no way of knowing how "weakly" positive your test was, i.e., how close you were to the actual positive range. If I were weakly positive I would assume I had it; others may feel differently.

quigleyla Newbie

The range on both test that were weakly positive was 20 to 30. The nurse called to schedule an egd today and told me that she thinks the iga is the most sufficient test and thats what he diagnosis with. Then she said, well maybe it is your ttg and that was negative. Im not sure but he wanta you to have an egd. Can anyone clarify that for me?

Thanks!

Archived