This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Breyer's Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

BigDogz

BigDogz Explorer

I've read and re-read and re-read the ingredients in Breyer's Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream and, for the life of me, I can't find any ingredients listed there that should be causing me to react to it. Somehow, though, my body doesn't seem to agree with that theory. Every single time I try eating it, I end up with terrible cramps, gas and diarrhea identical to the symptoms I have when I ingest gluten.

After reading the ingredient list yet again, I thought maybe I was just having problems with the dairy aspect of it...as many Celiacs do. I begrudgingly eliminated my favorite dessert from my diet but I just couldn't resist the temptation to try again. This time I bought a different brand (Ben & Jerry's) and a different flavor (Chunky Monkey). To my complete surprise I was able to enjoy the ice cream and it didn't come back to haunt me later!!

Since both ice creams have identical dairy ingredients, I don't understand why I'm reacting to the Breyer's Mint Chocolate Chip and not to the Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey. Does anyone else have problems reacting to the Breyer's MCC? What could I possibly be reacting to since there appears to be nothing gluten-related in the ingredient list?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

I've read and re-read and re-read the ingredients in Breyer's Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream and, for the life of me, I can't find any ingredients listed there that should be causing me to react to it. Somehow, though, my body doesn't seem to agree with that theory. Every single time I try eating it, I end up with terrible cramps, gas and diarrhea identical to the symptoms I have when I ingest gluten.

After reading the ingredient list yet again, I thought maybe I was just having problems with the dairy aspect of it...as many Celiacs do. I begrudgingly eliminated my favorite dessert from my diet but I just couldn't resist the temptation to try again. This time I bought a different brand (Ben & Jerry's) and a different flavor (Chunky Monkey). To my complete surprise I was able to enjoy the ice cream and it didn't come back to haunt me later!!

Since both ice creams have identical dairy ingredients, I don't understand why I'm reacting to the Breyer's Mint Chocolate Chip and not to the Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey. Does anyone else have problems reacting to the Breyer's MCC? What could I possibly be reacting to since there appears to be nothing gluten-related in the ingredient list?

Bryers Mint Choc chip ice cream is Gluten free. They have a very nice website that lists all of the gluten free ice creams. Maybe there is something else in it that does not agree with you. If you like Ben and Jerrys better than eat that..No biggie..BUt gluten is not the issue with the Bryers. :)

cap6 Enthusiast

I had heard that Breyers will not confirm on CC. Since hearing that I have avoided but then I am not a big fan of Breyers.

Takala Enthusiast

I've had a reaction to it that was not a gluten reaction but definitely something. It reminded me of reactions I've had in the past to antibiotics, a slight pinpricky - itchty sensation a few hours later on my legs. It really bummed me out as I really like chocolate mint. My theory is that I'm either sensitive to the food coloring, or an unknown ingredient, or maybe the cows' milk had some antibiotic residue. I also wonder if they are feeding the cows wheat or barley. I have had the same reaction from Tillamook cheese in the big block form sometimes. I try to stick to organic dairy products when possible as I don't get this reaction from them.

I don't react this way to their Breyer's Vanilla.

BigDogz Explorer

I had heard that Breyers will not confirm on CC. Since hearing that I have avoided but then I am not a big fan of Breyers.

Interesting that you would mention CC. After posting, I did a Google search about Breyers. It seems that there was a recall of the Mint Chocolate Chip flavor a while back (can't remember what year) due to UNDISCLOSED WHEAT being in the product but not listed on the label. Can't help but wonder if it isn't happening again.

Just in case, I'm avoiding Breyers all together. Just kind of bums me because I love mint choc chip and the mint choc chip Ben & Jerry's I find around here is mint ice cream with choc cookies in it. Not exactly gluten-free. Oh, well. The Chunky Monkey is pretty darned good.

GFreeMO Proficient

Found this on Bryers FAQ. No need to avoid them!

FAQs

* If I am looking for gluten-free products, what do you recommend when it comes to your products?

Unilever Ice Cream is a member of the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network and the Food Allergy Resource and Research Program.

o We recommend consumers read the label each time before buying our product.

o If gluten is present, it is clearly listed in plain language on the ingredient label (i.e., wheat flour, rye, barley, oats, and malt).

o We work closely with ingredient and packaging suppliers to verify gluten in all ingredient components including natural flavours, colours, and spices.

glutenfreesavvy Rookie

Hi BigDogz,

I'm sorry to hear about your reaction. Breyer's used to be my favorite commercial ice cream. After I had to go gluten-free almost 4 years ago, I was thrilled to know I could still eat it (well, most of the flavors, anyway). However, after reacting several times to several different flavors that had no gluten ingredients listed, including mint chocolate chip, I just quit buying it. :(

I've found I can't trust most processed foods to be safe for me to eat. I know what the companies labels say. I've talked to them over the phone, via email about their policies, including Unilever & have concluded I cannot put my health in their hands anymore...no matter how yummy Breyers ice cream is. :D We bought a new ice cream maker this year, just so I can make homemade ice cream whenever I want. It's been a fun & yummy adventure trying new recipes. I am convinced ice cream IS a food group.

Faydra :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flutterby Apprentice

I had a similar reaction to a Swiss Miss hot chocolate brand. Caused severe joint pain and some other things. Must be the dairy, but I do have the experience that dairy in other forms doesn't cause the same reaction! You might check to see if there are other ingredients like corn or soy that might be causing a reaction.

BigDogz Explorer

I had a similar reaction to a Swiss Miss hot chocolate brand. Caused severe joint pain and some other things. Must be the dairy, but I do have the experience that dairy in other forms doesn't cause the same reaction! You might check to see if there are other ingredients like corn or soy that might be causing a reaction.

Thanks for the suggestions about soy and corn but, thankfully, I don't have reactions to either of those substances. I do have to be careful about potatoes as I have reacted to those (stomach/intestinal pain), although it's much milder than my reaction to gluten. If I'm very careful to get potatoes that are FULLY ripened then I can usually avoid a reaction by not eating more than a small to moderate serving. If I get a batch of potatoes that aren't fully ripe...maybe still just a hint of green in the skins...oh, boy! From what I understand, there's more of the chemical that folks sensitive to nightshades react to in a slightly green, not-quite-ripe potato than one that's fully ripened.

Anyway, I'm now completely convinced that Breyer's either has a cross-contamination issue or they aren't being totally forth-coming in their ingredient list. I've tried 3 different brands of ice cream, 4 different whole-milk cheeses, heavy-whipping cream over sliced peaches, one brand of yogurt and a big dollop of sour cream on my gluten-free burrito. I didn't react whatsoever - not even the tiniest of reactions. Ate a small scoop from what was left of the Breyer's MCC ice cream and BAM - reaction!!! Therefore, I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that after eating all of that dairy and not having even one issue that dairy, itself, is NOT the issue. Despite what Breyer's FAQ's and ingredients lists say, I maintain and continue to maintain that gluten IS, indeed, showing up in their ice creams by one route (cross-contamination) or another (undisclosed ingredient). And, frankly, I don't really care which route it is because I will not be buying Breyer's ice creams again.

• 2 years later...
ldingeldey Newbie

After eating Breyer’s natural vanilla ice cream three times recently, I finally figured out the culprit behind what has been making me so sick.

The worst part is that there is nothing on their label showing any gluten in their product. Just to assure you of my reliability, my only food allergy is gluten. I do not have any dairy, soy, or peanut allergies.

To my dismay, I will never purchase Breyer’s ice cream brand ever again because I cannot trust their labeling. This makes me very sad because I used to love their ice cream as a kid but the consequences of eating their product is not worth it.

About 2 hours after eating their ice cream, I had severe stomach cramping, liquid diarrhea, increased body temperature with excessive sweating, & a red raised rash all over my chest and shoulders. Days 2 & 3 after eating this ice cream, I’m still experiencing excessive gas, tummy gurgling, nausea, bloating, & fatigue. Who knows how long it will take for all of the gluten out of my system. This is very frustrating because I am always very conscious of reading labels in their entirety before ingesting anything into my system.

I wish that Breyers could get their act together and offer a safe ice cream like Ben N Jerry’s, Haagen Dazs, Blue Bell….etc. I have tried all of those brands multiple times over again and have never had any issues with their ice cream.

ldingeldey Newbie

As a follow up to my last post, I want everyone to know how thankful I am for this site. If I had visited it before buying the Breyer’s ice cream, I would have had known about all of your experiences and would have gone with a different brand of ice cream. It is unfortunate that I didn’t do my online research until after having my symptoms but I am at least happy to know that I am not alone in my experiences. I appreciate everyone that has posted on this topic because your stories have provided me with a sense of validation that I am not alone in my suspicions. I just wanted to post my story to further reinforce the previous posts that Breyer’s ice cream is evil for those with gluten intolerance issues.

• 6 months later...
xyz-1234 Newbie

I had the same awful experience with Breyer's Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. I am very sensitive to gluten, so if there's gluten in a product my body will definitely let me know (in the worst possible ways, as you all can imagine! :blink: )

Within a few hours of eating it last night I had gas, horrible cramps, diarrhea, nausea and that familair sensation only gluten causes that feels like my entire digestive system was scalded with hot water. I do not have other food allergies and I had not eaten anything else out of the ordinary that day. Like the original poster said, I wish I would have seen this thread prior to having to endure last night and this morning. :wacko:

I am so thankful that this message board is here, and I just wanted to share my experience so that other people know to definitely be wary of Breyer's Ice Cream (which makes me sad, but I'd rather be sad than sick! ;) )

GlutenStinks15 Explorer

I haven't tried Breyer's since being diagnosed (in early April) and now I'm going to steer clear! I have had several flavors of Edy's and I haven't had any reaction at all. I was jumping for joy when I realized I could still have Rocky Road!

Feel better!

neal Rookie

maybe the chocolate is contaminated. You are talking about eating small buckets of refined sugar too, and depending on how fried you are

this may be taxing an already taxed adrenal system? Ice cream does sound good though, i'm goin to get some

Archived