Starbucks...grrr

• Please log in to reply

19 replies to this topic

#16 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

Whoa! It is a big jump from being told that there is no guarantee that there is no chance of inadvertent, undetected cross-contamination, to declaring that "all of their drinks are probably contaminated."

Nothing you cited in your post, or contained in any of the other posts in this topic, supports your accusation. If you have actual evidence to support your claim, please post it. If not, please retract the unfounded accusation.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 sunshinen

sunshinen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:12 PM

Whoa! It is a big jump from being told that there is no guarantee that there is no chance of inadvertent, undetected cross-contamination, to declaring that "all of their drinks are probably contaminated."

Nothing you cited in your post, or contained in any of the other posts in this topic, supports your accusation. If you have actual evidence to support your claim, please post it. If not, please retract the unfounded accusation.

Starbucks communications with me have not mentioned a chance for a mere "inadvertent, undetected cross-contamination", but that "No drinks are gluten free" (Period. All he wrote, literally.) And in a second communication that due to cross contamination issues they will not say which drinks do not have gluten as an ingredient because they do not consider any of their drinks to be safe for those with gluten sensitivity.

I apologize if translating that to "all are probably contaminated" is an overstatement. (Obviously, we can theorize that some teas would be gluten free... but they aren't even volunteering that as an option for us.) But their very clear message to me has been that regardless of a lack of gluten ingredients in any particular drink, none of their drinks should be considered safe for those with gluten sensitivity.
Gluten-Free since February 2006

#18 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:15 AM

Again, Starbucks' statement on their website is this--

"Where can I find allergen information?
For specific questions related to allergens, click on our Customer Service page or give us a call at 1-800-23LATTE 1-800-23LATTE (235-2883). Due to potential cross-contamination during distribution and sale, we can’t guarantee that allergens are not included in a product, even if they aren’t listed in the ingredients."

It's pretty standard--no one will give you a guarantee that products that have no gluten added will be absolutely gluten free. They are just being honest.

As I said previously, if you call them and ask about a specific drink, they will tell you if there is any gluten in it. As far as cross contamination issues are concerned, it's always a gamble if you choose to eat out. That's an individual choice that we make.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#19 sunshinen

sunshinen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

Again, Starbucks' statement on their website is this--

"Where can I find allergen information?
For specific questions related to allergens, click on our Customer Service page or give us a call at 1-800-23LATTE 1-800-23LATTE (235-2883). Due to potential cross-contamination during distribution and sale, we canít guarantee that allergens are not included in a product, even if they arenít listed in the ingredients."

It's pretty standard--no one will give you a guarantee that products that have no gluten added will be absolutely gluten free. They are just being honest.

As I said previously, if you call them and ask about a specific drink, they will tell you if there is any gluten in it. As far as cross contamination issues are concerned, it's always a gamble if you choose to eat out. That's an individual choice that we make.

IMHO, their interactions with me have gone beyond just refusing to give a guarantee. They're refusing to provide any information beyond their disclaimer. If we had to call on every individual product to every company, we'd be back to the dark ages ... of like 2003. Starbucks is a very large chain with a very consistent product, it wouldn't take much to provide such a list, save on human resources answering phone calls and emails, and provide their customers with valuable, health-saving information. But while other companies are reformulating to remove gluten from their products, Starbucks is actually adding it (without providing any easy mechanism for people to see those changes). Providing gluten-free snacks, but not gluten-free drink (information) ... seems a bit like a wolf in sheep's clothing, or if you want to be more generous, at least the cart before the horse.

I followed the instructions above, I just chose to click on the Customer Service page rather than call a number. If they want us to call and ask drink by drink, then take down the email option, or put that in their emailed response. But if that is the case, they are still putting very intentional barriers between their customers and the information on allergens. To me that seems disingenuous if not irresponsible. Knowledge is power, and they are making it as difficult as possible for us to get the knowledge.
Gluten-Free since February 2006

#20 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:43 PM

My guess is that something in your original questions triggered the stonewall response. I have seen it myself. You ask "what is gluten-free?" and the answer is (for legal reasons) "nothing is gluten-free." Once they have given that response, it is very difficult to get them to say anything that would weaken or appear to contradict the legal disclaimer.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: