17 replies to this topic

#1 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:06 PM

I picked up Hershey's Kisses, Cherry Cordial and Candy Cane at the store. I popped one of each into my mouth. Worst reaction in years. Just not sure which or both of them. These go out of the house today. Anyone else reacted to these Kisses?
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:21 PM

I picked up Hershey's Kisses, Cherry Cordial and Candy Cane at the store. I popped one of each into my mouth. Worst reaction in years. Just not sure which or both of them. These go out of the house today. Anyone else reacted to these Kisses?

Hersheys candy always makes me sick. Nestle milk chocolate morsels are gluten free and they taste a lot like Hersheys. I keep those on hand for when I want some chocolate. Those with a handful of raisins makes a great snack.

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:29 PM

Hershey's doesn't agree with me either....too bad because I love the taste of their milk chocolate.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 Kim27

Kim27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:19 AM

due to halloween, i've eaten both the kisses and a hersheys mini milk choc bar and nothing happened to me. i was fine. to the best of my knowledge they are both supposed to be gluten-free.
Thanks!!!

---------------------------------------------------
Kim

Newly diagnosed Celiac trying to learn the ropes

Very Positive tTG 3/10
Positive EGD/Biopsy 4/10

#5 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:59 PM

Someone gave me a candy cane filled with Hersheys Kisses. I know that at Halloween Hersheys said these were gluten free. Is this still the case? They are calling my name and I really want to eat them. They are the plain ones. thx

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,074 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:36 PM

I would be very surprised if anything has changed in two months. They have not changed in (at least) 10 years with respect to the Kisses.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:49 PM

Thanks. I guess I kind of already thought this. I was glutened 2 weeks ago when my baby niece stuck her hand in my mouth while it was covered in cracker crumbs. I am just being extra careful b/c my system is still a little sore. Thank for the reassurance.

#8 Jenbeans77

Jenbeans77

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:36 PM

I bought the candy cane kisses a week or so ago....and didn't think anything of it. Well I have had a huge contstant headache the last week....i broke out, and I am having digestive issues. I was trying to figure out where the gluten came from...but just figured it out!! The dang candy cane kisses!! So sad, because they were SO delicious!! ;0

#9 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:29 PM

I bought the Cherry Cordial ones (figuring if I couldn't have them, my DH could eat them)... couldn't find any alleregen info on the bag, nor on their the regular or holiday website listed on the bag... which, IMO was kind of pathetic-- they could put up all sorts of recipes & other stuff, but no allergen info. I was going to try to call their Customer Service line, but I've been too busy/ tired the last couple days.

My DH will be more than happy to enjoy them :)

At Halloween, i did have the regular Hershey's Kisses with no problem, but I also don't react strongly.
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#10 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:32 PM

Never had a problem with the cherry cordial.

richard

#11 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:31 AM

Both of these items do not have gluten ingrediants in them.

#12 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:56 AM

They may not have gluten ingredients in them but every time I eat Hershey's candy I get sick. I think they have a big CC problem. I am super super sensitive though.

#13 Maggie Mermaid

Maggie Mermaid

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:29 AM

They may not have gluten ingredients in them but every time I eat Hershey's candy I get sick. I think they have a big CC problem. I am super super sensitive though.

Me too. There's just something about Hershey's that doesn't agree with me.
Enlarged thyroid with nodules and Hashimoto's diagnosed 2007. Self-diagnosed as gluten-intolerant.

Husband is gluten-intolerant, also self-diagnosed, suffered from severe eczema which has largely disappeared since avoiding wheat, corn, tomatoes, tree nuts.

#14 idonteatwheat

idonteatwheat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:35 PM

I used to live near Hershey Pa and some of my friends had summer jobs at the factory and also at the Reese plant(OK this was a while ago). I can remember them saying how the company reclaimed chocolate if it didn't form correctly or when they cleaned machines, that the chocolate was too valuable to just trash. Now I don't know if they are still doing that but given how companies pinch pennies these days I wouldn't be shocked if they did. So this could be the source of cross contamination. Husband gave me a valentine heart with kisses in it and I am pretty sure I am reacting to them. Also weren't they moving their manufacturing to Mexico or someplace else? That would open up a whole host of other issues with ingredients. I don't know if I am reacting from cross contamination or the artificial flavoring but I am swearing off them for now until they clearly have the words gluten free on the packaging.

#15 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:01 AM

They are not moving their plant to Mexico, it was recently announced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: