11 replies to this topic

#1 MindytheOrganist

MindytheOrganist

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for all the turkey ideas and I will watch out for the mashed potatoes. Now, I need a gluten-free pie crust recipe. The only one I can find around here is the Gluten Free Pantry box, which makes about 6 crusts, and I don't need that many crusts.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for all the turkey ideas and I will watch out for the mashed potatoes. Now, I need a gluten-free pie crust recipe. The only one I can find around here is the Gluten Free Pantry box, which makes about 6 crusts, and I don't need that many crusts.

Thanks!

You can make one using the Gluten Free Bisquick. Quick and easy and you know exactly what is in it.

#3 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:46 PM

Now, I need a gluten-free pie crust recipe. The only one I can find around here is the Gluten Free Pantry box, which makes about 6 crusts, and I don't need that many crusts.Thanks!

I love the GFP pie crust. A lot of time I only need one crust so I either make them all and freeze the extra crusts in a pie pans or I measure out the contents and mix up a fourth of it. Then I store the unused mix in the freezer. I've had non gluten free people ask me for my pie crust recipe.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:54 PM

I use GFP--it's the best tasting one I've tried. I actually like that it makes several crusts--I mix up a box, use what I need and freeze the remainder in individual packets so all I need to do is defrost. I like not having to mix up a crust every time.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 MelindaLee

MelindaLee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:54 PM

I haven't tried this yet, but this was on a thread a while back.

Vinegar Pastry by Betty Hagman. This makes two crusts.

1 c white rice flour
3/4 c tapioca flour
3/4 c cornstarch
1 t xanthan gum
3/4 t salt
1 T sugar
Combine all of the above. Cut into it: 3/4 c shortening.

Blend together:
1 egg, lightly beaten
1T vinegar
Add this to the flour mixture.

Add ice water, 1 T at a time, and toss with a fork until it holds together when squeezed without being crumbly or sticky. Divide in 2 and wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 min. At this point you can freeze it.

Roll out between pieces of rice-floured wax paper or plastic wrap, remove the top one and invert into the pie plate. Finish and bake as usual for your pie recipe. Bake all the scraps as well, spread them with jelly, and pretend they're pop tarts.

#6 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:59 AM

Yup, I posted Bette Hagman's Vinegar Crust. That one works really well and acts and tastes just like a "normal" crust. I just thawed and used a ball of this crust from last Thanksgiving (yes, 2009!) and it was fine.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#7 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:20 AM

Has anyone tried Carol Fenster's crust that uses sorghum flour? I was thinking of tryin it. Recs?

#8 CHARBEEGOOD

CHARBEEGOOD

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:32 PM

Here are a few recipes for crust that aren't your typical "pie" crusts. I've made a version of these with a coconut-pumpkin pie using agava inplace of sugar..it was wonderful..

1 cup ground almond meal (processed almonds)
3/4 cup light brown or cane sugar
1 medium organic free-range egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
A dash of spice - cinnamon or nutmeg

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and gluten-free-flour a 9-inch glass pie plate; or use a greased and gluten-free-floured tart pan.

In a mixing bowl, mix together the ground almonds, sugar, egg, extract, salt & spice. Spread the almond mixture into the pie plate and press lightly (with moist fingertips) to form a crust.

Bake the crust for 10 minutes, check to see the shape of it, and using a silicone or vinyl spatula, lightly press down any high puffy areas; resume baking for another 2 to 5 minutes, until the crust is firm. Place on a wire rack and again press down the shape to flatten, if needed.

Cool before filling. The crust will get crisper as it cools.

Quick & Easy Almond Pie Crust

For one 9-inch tart pan:

1 cup almond meal (processed almonds - pecans also work well)
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons chilled butter or vegan margarine
1 1/2 tablespoons of cream or non-dairy cream

In a food processor, blend all ingredients until dough clumps together. Chill 15 minutes. Roll out the dough on wax paper dusted with either cornstarch or tapioca flour. Transfer to a 9-inch tart pan and press in lightly. Chill again till firm, and fill. Bake as directed in your pie recipe; keeping an eye on the edges of the crust. If it starts to brown too quickly, cover the edges with strips of foil. Also make sure your oven rack is in the center of the oven, and not close to the top.

Karina's Note:
• To pre-bake for a no-bake filling, I would prick the crust, then bake it at 325 or 350 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes until firm. Cool before filling.

I've used this crust for pumpkin pie and cheesecake.

2 cups (heaping) almond meal
1/2 cup butter/vegan stick margarine, melted, or 1/2 cup light olive oil
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
Dash of pie spice or cinnamon, if desired

Combine all of the ingredients to form a sticky dough. With moist fingertips, press the dough into a greased 9x12-inch baking pan or 2 8-inch glass pie plates. Bake the crust at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely before filling.

I've done the same with pecans; I've processed them into meal - pecans make a wonderful nut crust. Some cooks add a little rice flour to the mix. Experiment

From GlutenfreeGoddess..
Char

#9 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:14 AM

I tried the Carol Fenster one and the part under the filling was fine. The part sticking out was like concrete! I am going to try the GFP one today.

#10 bbuster

bbuster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:25 AM

Disclaimer: I never made many (any?) pies pre-gluten-free cooking, but I have tried these and they are easy and I think quite tasty.

Pamela’s Pie Crust:

1/2 stick butter
1 cup Pamela's pancake/baking mix
2-4 tbsp sugar (white or brown)

Melt butter
Mix in with a fork the baking mix and sugar
Press into pie plate
Refrigerate for about 20-30 min
Fill and bake as usual

Substitute for a graham cracker crust:

2 1/2 c. of Rice Chex crumbs
1 Tbs. of honey
1 stick of melted butter

mix together; pat into pie plate; bake on 350 for 15 min
Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

#11 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:35 PM

For a crumb crust, try making crumbs from MiDel Ginger Snaps in a food processor. Then make it just like a graham cracker crust.

#12 jess_gf

jess_gf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:24 PM

For a crumb crust, try making crumbs from MiDel Ginger Snaps in a food processor. Then make it just like a graham cracker crust.

This is what I'm going to try. I'm making a test pie tomorrow using this recipe more or less: http://www.recipegir...er-pumpkin-pie/
Gluten Free since 11/2010
Dairy Free since 01/2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: