This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Never Feeling Full Or Satisfied?

c12

c12 Rookie

I've been gluten-free for about a year now, and I've noticed something - I never really feel full or satisfied after eating a meal anymore. I always end up snacking a bunch after meals, especially in the evening, because I just don't feel satisfied. To the best of my knowledge, my diet is pretty much the same as it was before, the only difference being that I now use gluten-free grains. And I never had this problem before going gluten-free.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any suggestions for meals that will make me feel full and satisfied?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BoydBT Apprentice

Yes I am constantly eating at work. All I do is want to eat. I do however feel full after eating lunch at work.

I eat so much for lunch..

One recipe that I will share that is guaranteed to fill you up is Frank and beans.

Open Original Shared Link

I use the gluten feed bratwurst.I used six of them.

You have to really cook it down much more than she says. Also gluten-free beer.

It is so good too, very spicy.

;)

sb2178 Enthusiast

Well, have you had follow-up bloodwork? If you aren't fully healed, you may not have sufficient absorption or deficiencies like iron.

Whenever anemic, I am typically crazy munch-y.

Also, aim for meals with substantial amounts of protein and good fats (fish, avocado, nuts, olives, etc). Beans and potatoes tend to be pretty satisfying too. Think salmon topped with black bean and avocado salsa with a roasted sweet potato. Throw in something green, and it's nutritionally pretty beautiful.

- egg(s)/poultry fried in olive oil over shredded cabbage with homemade cornbread or tortilla chips

- hummus made with tahini and olive oil with vegetable sticks, olives, and nuts/fruit for dessert

- roasted bird with wild rice stuffing (heavy on the nuts) and vegetables

- lentil soup with salad made with olive oil, nuts/avocado, and other veg

kristianne75 Newbie

Yes! That is my biggest complaint! I don't really miss the bread in my meals, but I rarely feel full. Every now and then, I tell my husband I want a steak, baked potato and a vegetable (with a side salad mind you!) just to feel full. That seems to be the only meal that does it for me. Otherwise, I don't feel full, I just quit eating when I am sick of it. (lost 12 lbs. though, so its not always bad....)

i-geek Rookie

Yes! That is my biggest complaint! I don't really miss the bread in my meals, but I rarely feel full. Every now and then, I tell my husband I want a steak, baked potato and a vegetable (with a side salad mind you!) just to feel full. That seems to be the only meal that does it for me. Otherwise, I don't feel full, I just quit eating when I am sick of it. (lost 12 lbs. though, so its not always bad....)

Yep, sounds like anemia to me. Both the steak and the potato are iron-rich. I craved beef when I first went gluten-free and I've always craved potatoes. I also craved avocados for a few months (fat malabsorption) and was eating those daily for a little while. Interestingly, now that my gut is healed I rarely have food cravings. I used to have them ALL the time.

Anyway- meat, potatoes, fruits and vegetables, eggs, beans, nuts, dairy (if you can tolerate them, obviously). All good, high-nutrient foods.

c12 Rookie

I get regular bloodwork done, so I don't think I'm anemic. Hmmmm...I guess I'll try to pump up the protein. I've never been a big protein-eater, but maybe that will help.

Does anyone know if gluten-free breads have the same vitamins and minerals as regular bread/wheat products? Because I'm almost wondering if I'm missing a nutrient.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I also had a completely ravenous appetite for about a year or so. I'd eat until I felt like I'd explode, but still wasn't satisfied. Simply couldn't force myself to swallow another bite. Thankfully it eventually tapered down to more like normal.

Does anyone know if gluten-free breads have the same vitamins and minerals as regular bread/wheat products? Because I'm almost wondering if I'm missing a nutrient.

It depends on the bread. If you make it yourself, there's a better chance of it being more nutritious. Most of the prepackaged ones I'm aware of are basically starch. I'd recommend baking your own breads, using teff, buckwheat, and bean flours as much as you can. Some sorghum or brown rice flour may be OK, but the others mentioned are more nutrient-dense. Avoid the starches altogether if possible. I prefer sweet potato flour better than the starches anyway, and it does have more nutrients than the starches too. Nut meals/flours are also better for nutrition.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judy3 Contributor

Hi everyone,

I've only been on the gluten free diet for about a week and my endoscope and colonoscopy done 2 weeks ago showed my 'innards' to be extremely inflamed. How long does it take for this all to heal? I've been diagnosed with Celiac now after the tests and lab work and with the gluten free, I feel better (no nausea, vomiting or diarrhea) but I still have pain when I eat. Just curious if this is a month thing, a year or many years for healing?

I'm really glad this site is here.. :0)

*Judy3

sb2178 Enthusiast

A new topic will probably get more responses...

I dropped down to low discomfort within 2-3 weeks but 5 months to be pretty much entirely pain free. Took taking out dairy and peanuts, and possibly should have done so earlier.

Archived