This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Washing Dishes

027daisy

Cheryl-C Enthusiast

It is sad, but your doctor is misinformed. I don't know why he would think that bleach would do anything.

My advise if you don't have a dishwasher:

Rinse all dishes carefully before moving them to the wash phase (this is good advice even if you have a dishwasher).

Wash twice. Drain the water after the first wash and draw fresh. Use a fresh wash rag or sponge for the second wash.

Rinse again after the second wash before putting in the drying rack (you should be doing this anyway, to remove any remaining detergent).

Thanks Peter. I guess Drs are figuring out this stuff, too.

To clarify, when you say to drain and wash a second time, do you mean all the dishes, or just the one plate/fork that was involved with the gluten food?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

My husband and I arent agreeing on some things and figured this was a good place to ask. I am eating gluten free and most of the house it, but my husband isnt. Last night he made a pizza in the oven, right on the rack. Oh course now the bottom of the oven is tainted with gluten free stuff but thats besides the point. Today I told him that when we wash dishes he cant wash his none gluten free items like the pizza cutter with the rest of the gluten free dishes. He said why not, its all getting clean. I said because if they are all sitting in the same water and using the same sponge or wash cloth that its all getting contaminated. He doesnt agree. I said its probably fine in the dishwasher because it gets so HOT and I always use the sanitize cycle. What are your thoughts.

Thanks!

Julie

You are right. Gluten filled rinse water will contaminate your dishes!!! The dishwasher I don't worry about because it rinses with gallons and gallons of water and it's very hot. Your husband needs to stop being a brat and do more to keep you safe.

Cypressmyst Explorer

Your husband needs to stop being a brat and do more to keep you safe.

I whole heartedly agree with this last statement. B)

psawyer Proficient

To clarify, when you say to drain and wash a second time, do you mean all the dishes, or just the one plate/fork that was involved with the gluten food?

All the dishes, in case traces of gluten transferred during the first wash.

027daisy Rookie

He isnt purposely trying to contaminate my daughter and myself, he just doesnt understand and do the research like i do. which is why i came on here, to clarify to make sure i was correct in my research

You are right. Gluten filled rinse water will contaminate your dishes!!! The dishwasher I don't worry about because it rinses with gallons and gallons of water and it's very hot. Your husband needs to stop being a brat and do more to keep you safe.

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm having the same problems as some that you guys have talked about. Right now I'm living in a house with 5 other girls and we don't have a dish washer. I know that gluten travels from thing to thing when they come in contact with each other.

I've been using the same sponge as everybody else, is that bad? Should I go and buy my own special sponges? Also we only have one drying rack, is it bad to dry the dishes that are cleaned with a sponge that has touched gluten and one that has not? Do I need to have my own seperate dishes and sponge? And seperate drying rack? How far do I need to go? There's not much space in our kitchen and the drying rack is actually mine how do you do containate it?

My advice--use dish cloths that you can wash daily. Take a clean one and wash your dishes first--and the pans that you use. The drying rack is fine--maybe stick yours towards the front to keep them together. Wash the rest of the dishes, clean the sink and dry and put away your dishes, silver, pans with a clean dish towel.

Really? That's so weird then that the Dr would recommend it :angry: I use bleach/cleaning wipes on the counters and stuff anyway (good for disinfecting, as you said) but I was also under the impression it would remove the cc from gluten.

So then, what other steps can I take? Does soap and water do it? Something else?? :blink:

For counters, use Formula 409 and paper towel. I've done this ever since I read that in a study it removed peanut proteins. I figure if it worked for one protein....

Rowena Rising Star

Someone else on this forum told me that vinegar and water mix was a good disinfectant, I haven't tried it, but it makes sense, vinegar is STRONG stuff. After all it can clear up clogged drains. Can't remember who said it, but its somethin to try.

Anyway, for a shared kitchen, my husband is "gluten lite" on my behalf, so he mostly eats what I eat, but he does have a few items he likes that are not gluten free. I refuse to forbid him to eat gluteny foods entirely. In this case, I was dishes separately, usually my dishes first, then his, not forgetting to clean out the sink afterwards very thoroughly. Course I also like handwashing dishes, playing in bubbles is fun. But I also rinse my dishes in running water, and don't have a rinsewater station so to speak.

Towels and such are never used twice, and I never use the little scrubby thing my husband cleans his dishes with. (Though I am sure I have been cc'd from him doing dishes because he doesn't separate dishes or use any tool besides that scrubber.)

I also do not have any gluten flour or powders ANYWHERE in my house because it does fly through the air.

Edit to add something I forgot: I also clean EVERYTHING with a antibacterial degreasing spray that cleans even the most annoying stains/spots... And yes I frequently use it on my dishes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cap6 Enthusiast

vinegar is a good cleaner. dilute 50/50 with water. I use it on my wood floors, counters, almost everything. The odor dissipates quite quickly. Simple Green is also a good all purpose cleaner - gluten free.

• 5 years later...
ForeverNLove Newbie

Really? That's so weird then that the Dr would recommend it :angry: I use bleach/cleaning wipes on the counters and stuff anyway (good for disinfecting, as you said) but I was also under the impression it would remove the cc from gluten.

So then, what other steps can I take? Does soap and water do it? Something else?? :blink:

Gluten is a very sticky protein that cannot be removed easily. Non porous items can be washed safely and effectively, being very careful to throughly rinse, use a dedicated sponge/washcloth to wash. If washed by hand wash and rinse under hot running water not in a sink of water if you don't have a dedicated gluten free kitchen. My kitchen is totally gluten free and I still rinse under running water. I attempted to use the dishwasher for the first time yesterday and I feel like I've been glutened so I'm not sure if it's safe or not. There was no gluten containing dishes in it, but it's a rental house so God knows how the previous tenants used it and whether there may be any lingering gluten in it. I also have other issues that cause a lot of the same problems so I'm going to keep trying to use it for a few days and see if I continue to feel glutened or not. As far as counter tops, sinks etc, any non porous surfaces can be wiped clean, but it takes multiple wipe downs with multiple sponges. Thoroughly wipe down and rinse out the sink to rid it off any lose gluten particles. The same thing I did when first going gluten free. Only the kitchen I had then had laminated counter tops that were all scratched up. There is no getting gluten out of those kind of counter tops or cracks around the sink, etc. The ONLY way to possibly destroy/remove gluten from surfaces it's stuck in is to heat it above temperatures most things cannot tolerate and not all ovens can reach. You're looking at like 600°-700° F for a minimum of 30 min. So some stuff can be effectively cleaned in the self cleaning mode of an oven if it has one. Most cookware and utensils cannot tolerate those temperatures though and it's impossible to heat counters and other items to that temperature. Therefore being in a blended house is very risky if not done right. When I went gluten free everyone in my house went gluten free. Except the fish, you can't find gluten free fish food. My husband who shouldn't eat gluten anyway is gluten free and all our animals are on a grain free diet. Even my snake is gluten free since I breed my own feeder mice and feed them a gluten free organic diet. 

• 2 years later...
Daphne do Collaborator

Hi I found out I had celiac disease in January of 2018 it's been 6 months I am having the worst time with this first of all I have so many other issues I have asthma, severe anxiety, severe allergies (dust,pollen ,soap , perfume, anything that grows pretty much) ,on top of that I have dyslexia, add ,OCD, I have messed up some many times because I read it wrong and now your saying that when I wash the dishes I'm contaminating all the dishes and pots and pans ever dish and pot and pan I have have been use with glutenous food so if you could really dumb it down for me and in great detail tell me how to do the dishes and not contaminated my self or do I really have to buy my own separate dishes which would really suck cause my kids bought all my backing dishes and I really like the ?I just don't understand how to live with people that eat gluten and not contaminate my self I have two teen age boys well both 18 and my boy freind and none of them real listen to me about anything it's so hard any ideas how I can make this work please help me I don't have any one else to ask for help just you guys thanks for read this 

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, Daphne do said:

Hi I found out I had celiac disease in January of 2018 it's been 6 months I am having the worst time with this first of all I have so many other issues I have asthma, severe anxiety, severe allergies (dust,pollen ,soap , perfume, anything that grows pretty much) ,on top of that I have dyslexia, add ,OCD, I have messed up some many times because I read it wrong and now your saying that when I wash the dishes I'm contaminating all the dishes and pots and pans ever dish and pot and pan I have have been use with glutenous food so if you could really dumb it down for me and in great detail tell me how to do the dishes and not contaminated my self or do I really have to buy my own separate dishes which would really suck cause my kids bought all my backing dishes and I really like the ?I just don't understand how to live with people that eat gluten and not contaminate my self I have two teen age boys well both 18 and my boy freind and none of them real listen to me about anything it's so hard any ideas how I can make this work please help me I don't have any one else to ask for help just you guys thanks for read this 

You can use the same pots and pans and dishes, etc.  You just need to be sure you can get them really clean.  But I think your real problem is that your kids and your boyfriend don't care.  The boys are 18, so I would think you could put your foot down and kick them out if they don't go by your rules in your house.  The BF, well, you aren't married to him, so he can go to.  I mean, who needs a BF that doesn't listen to you or care about your health.  The kids will learn if you insist on the rules and there are consequences.  

I live with gluten eaters.  My boys were teens when I was diagnosed.  It can work.  But my kids & husband  listened and go with the procedures to keep me safe.  It takes a while to make new habits, but, in a few months, it was working.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Cast iron, and some pots can be deconed in the oven self clean cycle, 500F+ destroys gluten proteins. The issue is scratched pots, pans retaining gluten proteins in the scratches.

If you washing gluten covered dishes in a sink with gluten free dishes and rinsing them in it...yeah bad idea. Some have had luck getting a large Rubbermaid container and using it as a washing sink dedicated for gluten free dishes/pots/pans. Keep your pots/pans with a different color to keep the separate/ use liners when you can IE crock pot liners, foil lining baking dishes etc.

Disposable utensils and plates can make this easier, and butcher paper/freezer paper can make a good liner prep surface for keeping your stuff safer.

Nordicware Makes microwave cookware, grill plates (MUST get the splatter covers lol), omelette makers, steamers, rice cookers, etc. for cheap dedicated safe quick cook ware.

YOU SHOULD put down some ground rules with some things being a absolute no in the house like gluten flour (that poof from the bag will go air born for hours and settle on everything, you can also breath it in and get it stuck in the mucus in you nose/throat and eventually swallow it)

BTW there is no excuse not to go gluten free 100% in the house. They make gluten free everything now days, although I really do suggest a whole foods only diet, limited processed foods, and avoiding the SAD (Standard American Diet) set up.
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/121802-gluten-free-food-alternative-list-2018-q3/

Daphne do Collaborator

Ok so I have one more question as far as the cutting boards go and scratched pans is there any way to completely clean them like soak it in something that would penetrate the cracks to get the gluten out I got all brand new stuff last year before I was diagnosed with celiac disease my son's bought them for me or like the muffin pans what if there is no scratches and also how does I dish washer clean the gluten off ? And would using Dawn dish soap make a difference it gets grease out? I can't get disposable utensils and dishes I want to save the plant I can't do that it goes against everything I believe I'm all about recycling and reducing waste no one else around me does that I have to.  thank you again.  I really need it spelled out for me to fully understand and no one can help me not even the Dr just you guys so sorry if it feels like I'm repeating the question 

Daphne do Collaborator

Ok I didn't see both comments to my post thank you for replying I really really appreciate it and your probably right the guys should be more concerned about my health im the one who takes care of all of them 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
8 minutes ago, Daphne do said:

Ok so I have one more question as far as the cutting boards go and scratched pans is there any way to completely clean them like soak it in something that would penetrate the cracks to get the gluten out I got all brand new stuff last year before I was diagnosed with celiac disease my son's bought them for me or like the muffin pans what if there is no scratches and also how does I dish washer clean the gluten off ? And would using Dawn dish soap make a difference it gets grease out? I can't get disposable utensils and dishes I want to save the plant I can't do that it goes against everything I believe I'm all about recycling and reducing waste no one else around me does that I have to.  thank you again.  I really need it spelled out for me to fully understand and no one can help me not even the Dr just you guys so sorry if it feels like I'm repeating the question 

Cutting boards are huge CC issues. Just get new ones, you can get cheap plastic ones of multiple colors for food safety (these can be recycled under plastic if you CC them) Disposable utensils......paper plates can be composted, plastic forks/spoons can be recycled under plastic. Foil goes in the same container as cans for recycling.

Muffin tins...might survive the 500F treatment of a oven self clean cycle, but I would just get new ones. Scrap metal recycle  the old ones

Dawn and bleach help loosen gluten off surfaces for cleaning, just the whole mixing gluten and gluten free in a wash tub that turns into a gluten dip bath.
Gluten is a protein, like blood, think of cleaning where a CSI tech is not going to find said blood.....I would the amount of effort can really be reduced going whole house gluten free. If you need help with recipes, finding ingredients etc we can help in a new thread.
I do gluten free catering, chef work, and run a small gluten free bakery, many others cook most of their food from scratch. We can give plenty of points on how to do this.

At least keep the kitchen gluten free and insist the kids keep gluten snacks in their room or in a special area outside the kitchen.

Have you read the newbie 101 section?

kareng Grand Master
9 minutes ago, Daphne do said:

Ok I didn't see both comments to my post thank you for replying I really really appreciate it and your probably right the guys should be more concerned about my health im the one who takes care of all of them 

So stop.  they are grown ups.  Tell them you are too sick to worry about their laundry, dinner, cleaning the bathroom, etc. 

My boys & husband would never have behaved like that!  When I was diagnosed, my youngest was 12 or 13.  He stopped eating his favorite snack - pretzels, so I wouldn't be sad as they were a favorite of mine.  He went to the store with me the first few times and double checked ingredients.  My oldest started making his own lunch for school - not that he couldn't have before - I just liked doing that for him.  But he didn't want me to touch his gluten bread.  IF you actually love someone, you care about their health.   But for kids, they have to learn that.  No excuse for the grown BF.  

Daphne do Collaborator

I have not read the newbie 101 I'm very to doing stuff like this I don't even have face book do maybe you could send me a link to the newbie 101 you both have been so helpful it so sucks when there's no one to talk to and last night I couldn't sleep ended up crying till 4:00 am and my BF actually felt sorry for me tears where in his eyes to I think he finally realized that I'm really sick . So it seem like an improvement and you are right I have to day if they don't like it they can leave I was just to scared to say that before I hate to be alone . You have really great ideas and thank you for helping me recycle too? I already feel better in my head like maybe it's not that bad and I can't finally get better

kareng Grand Master
6 minutes ago, Daphne do said:

I have not read the newbie 101 I'm very to doing stuff like this I don't even have face book do maybe you could send me a link to the newbie 101 you both have been so helpful it so sucks when there's no one to talk to and last night I couldn't sleep ended up crying till 4:00 am and my BF actually felt sorry for me tears where in his eyes to I think he finally realized that I'm really sick . So it seem like an improvement and you are right I have to day if they don't like it they can leave I was just to scared to say that before I hate to be alone . You have really great ideas and thank you for helping me recycle too? I already feel better in my head like maybe it's not that bad and I can't finally get better

Daphne do Collaborator

Thank you 

GFinDC Veteran

Hi daphne,

I keep a container with some silverware in it that only I use.  I also have a small dorm style refrig that I keep most of my food in.  It's easy to just rinse a plate or bowl off before using it.  If you have to use a shared refrig, put your gluten-free foods on the top shelf and keep all the un-lovely gluteny foods on lower shelves.  That way crumbs of gluten won't fall in your food.  Also keep your gluten-free foods covered with a lid or plastic wrap or something else when they are in the refrigerator.

Archived