This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Potato Chips

takeiteasy

takeiteasy Rookie

I was wondering if anyone can advise on eating processed foods, like wise potato chips, which list ingredients that are gluten free, but does not label the package "gluten free". Since Wise makes products that are not gluten free, is it "wise" to stay away and be safe?

I thank you in advance for taking the time to read and responding.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I was wondering if anyone can advise on eating processed foods, like wise potato chips, which list ingredients that are gluten free, but does not label the package "gluten free". Since Wise makes products that are not gluten free, is it "wise" to stay away and be safe?

Lay's Stax are made on dedicated lines and all varieties are gluten free.

I would trust the ingredient listing. The "official" criteria for product listing as "gluten free" had not been adopted as of yet in the US. And many companies will not refer to a product as gluten free, unless it is tested as such.

takeiteasy Rookie

Lay's Stax are made on dedicated lines and all varieties are gluten free.

I would trust the ingredient listing. The "official" criteria for product listing as "gluten free" had not been adopted as of yet in the US. And many companies will not refer to a product as gluten free, unless it is tested as such.

Lisa,

Thank you so much for responding. I will certainly look for Lays Stax. I'm a potato chip freak :)

One more question: two days ago I ate rice cakes, and only noticed today while eating some more, and running to the bathroom every 15 minutes...that there is an allergy warning on package made in plant that uses wheat and soy. Is it possible that I'm having a reaction to this even though the ingredients list brown rice only?

Lisa Mentor

Lisa,

Thank you so much for responding. I will certainly look for Lays Stax. I'm a potato chip freak :)

One more question: two days ago I ate rice cakes, and only noticed today while eating some more, and running to the bathroom every 15 minutes...that there is an allergy warning on package made in plant that uses wheat and soy. Is it possible that I'm having a reaction to this even though the ingredients list brown rice only?

Yes some very sensitive people can react to trace amounts of cross contamination.

If you are newly diagnosed, many foods can be an issue, gluten or not, until some healing can take place. Lundberg Rice Cakes are made at a gluten free facility.

MelindaLee Contributor

I have eaten lots of potato chips with just watching the ingrediants without any issues. Lays have just the potatoes and oil on the lables. They don't usually have the "processed in a facility that also process..." phrase either. I am cautious of the flavored chips as there are many more ingrediants and I think more likelihood it could come in contact with contaminated ingrediants. Happy snacking!

takeiteasy Rookie

Yes some very sensitive people can react to trace amounts of cross contamination.

If you are newly diagnosed, many foods can be an issue, gluten or not, until some healing can take place. Lundberg Rice Cakes are made at a gluten free facility.

Fantastic! You just added two items to my grocery list. Thank you. I was diagnosed 11 months ago but three months later I started baking bread with gluten free oat flour not realizing that not all celiacs can tolerate this flour. 7 months down the road I'm back to where I was. It took a while for the full impact/damage to take place. It's psychologically and emotionally devistating because I thought I was being so careful, working really hard to be really careful and all this time I was eating something that was slowly doing damage. I pray I heal quickly because I'm having a difficult time going and staying at work. Again, thank you so much for your advice. g'night

takeiteasy Rookie

I have eaten lots of potato chips with just watching the ingrediants without any issues. Lays have just the potatoes and oil on the lables. They don't usually have the "processed in a facility that also process..." phrase either. I am cautious of the flavored chips as there are many more ingrediants and I think more likelihood it could come in contact with contaminated ingrediants. Happy snacking!

Ok. I'm learning to read labels. I thought I knew how to read labels but now I really know how. Every side every word.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shopgirl Contributor

I've had to give up processed foods for the time being because they were still messing with me. But Utz potato chips state gluten-free on the bag are pretty good. They're not loaded with a lot of extra salt so you can actually taste the potato. Nom.

takeiteasy Rookie

I've had to give up processed foods for the time being because they were still messing with me. But Utz potato chips state gluten-free on the bag are pretty good. They're not loaded with a lot of extra salt so you can actually taste the potato. Nom.

I'm committing to home cooking for now too. Especially now that I know about Lays Stax, Utz, and Lundberg rice cakes. Thanks!

Monklady123 Collaborator

Utz are my favorite chip, and it says right on the package "this is a gluten-free food". I've never had any trouble. Also don't forget about corn chips such as Fritos. fritos = :wub:

K8ling Enthusiast

I eat Kettle Chips but I am going to try Fritos and Utz now too!!

takeiteasy Rookie

I've been eating Wise Pot Chips this week without having a reaction. I'm going to switch to Utz and Lays Stax when I find them. Been looking... Thanks guys!

T.H. Community Regular

You know, if you find Lays stax, if you could mention what store you found them in, I think it might help a lot of us - I've been looking all over the place, and I haven't found a store that carries them here, yet. <_<

kareng Grand Master

I have a horrible problem with Fritos. I cannot stop eating them!

I have found Lays stax at Target & Walmart in Kansas City area.

mouse1996 Newbie

Just wanted to say be careful with the Fritos. The Lays Staxs are the only product that is make on gluten-free machinery. The other products on made on machinery that are simply washed in between processing. So there is a strong chance of CC and if you are sensitive to it you could be paying the price. I've been living off of Cheetos since the site says it's gluten-free. But I've noticed I was feeling really sick after just eating a few of them. I get flushed face and tummy pain and slight breathing issues. Now in all fairness I don't know if it was CC or if it was an intolerance to corn which I read some celiacs can get. So just be careful with them and go slow with them until you are sure you can handle them. Happy munching! :-)

Chelle

Skylark Collaborator

Anyone know about the plain old Lay's potato chips and shared machinery? I like them better than Stax and they're easier to find.

Lundburg rice cakes are really good as well as being always gluten-free. I like the flavors. B)

Dixiebell Contributor

Just wanted to say be careful with the Fritos. The Lays Staxs are the only product that is make on gluten-free machinery. The other products on made on machinery that are simply washed in between processing. So there is a strong chance of CC and if you are sensitive to it you could be paying the price. I've been living off of Cheetos since the site says it's gluten-free. But I've noticed I was feeling really sick after just eating a few of them. I get flushed face and tummy pain and slight breathing issues. Now in all fairness I don't know if it was CC or if it was an intolerance to corn which I read some celiacs can get. So just be careful with them and go slow with them until you are sure you can handle them. Happy munching! :-)

Chelle

My son had similar problems with cheetos. He now eats michael season's baked cheedar cheese curls. I find them at my grocery in the natural section. He seems to do fine with these and classic lay's potato chips.

serenajane Apprentice

I spoke to someone at cape cod chip chip company and all the new packaging should state they are all gluten free even the BBQ i so missed BBQ chips

Archived