#1 ontariorocks

ontariorocks

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:26 PM

HI ALL!!

I need a little help....I have had upper left abdominal pain for 2 months now...I also have left flank pain. I have loose stool often in the morning...but not diharrea. other then that I am not extreamly tired considering I have 2 kids 3 year old. No skin conditions I have really bad seasonal allergies so I have a runny nose and itchy eyes. My blood work was normal but it was just checking my blood cell count and my urine was normal. I had a ultra sound last week and an upper GI series done. The doctor said everything is normal but during the upper GI the barium drink went through my small intestine in 10 minutes rather then 2 hours. She has said that people who have there gallbladder removed experience this or people with a wheat intolerance. I have been wheat free for only 3 days and the pain is mild. I ate ice cram yesturday and I found I got the pain in my stomach and felt bloated and had ALOT of gas. I guess my question is are my symptoms typical of celiac??? Please let me know I would GREATLY appreciate it. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:26 PM

Yes, they sound like they could be celiac. It's hard to say though because over 200 symptoms can come with celiac and some people do not get any. Have you had a full celiac panel of bloodwork done? That includes the following:
Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
Total Serum IgA

The tTG, EMA, and total serum IgA are the most important to have done.

If all testing, including biopsy, shows negative then you may just have a gluten intolerance and not full blown celiac yet. That can develop into celiac if you continue to eat it.
Or there could be another problem

Gallbladder complications are connected with celiac as well.

Also, going gluten free includes eliminating wheat,rye,barley, and oats.
There is stuff it can be hidden under as well so if you go gluten free this is a great site to get info of what you need to look for. There is a list you can print out of forbidden and safe ingredients and foods.

Also, with celiac, people at first can have a problem with dairy until damage to the intestine heals.

Good luck :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#3 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:32 PM

I guess my question is are my symptoms typical of celiac???

Some people have many symptoms and others have none at all. Your symtoms could be celiac. I also get the upper abdominal pain. I think it would be worth your time to go and get the celiac blood test panel (the ones that Kaiti mentioned), if that's is what you want of course ;) Although you may get a false negative result if you are gluten free for too long.

* I also have major issues with dairy *
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#4 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:35 PM

Although you may get a false negative result if you are gluten free for too long.

yea, I forgot to mention....don't go gluten free before testing...that will make the results useless
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

#5 ontariorocks

ontariorocks

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:30 AM

Thanks!
I had asked my doctor it there were any testing for this problem and she said that elimination is the way to go. I have felt better being away from gluten. I would like to have the biopsy done to see for sure if it is celiac. Is there a difference between celiac and just a wheat intolerance? I have also read that the blood test could give you a false negative anyways, is that true? I also find that when I lay on my stomach or bend over I get a pain in my abdomin, is this characteristic of Celiac? Thanks for the info!

#6 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:45 AM

That can be a symptom of celiac but it also may be correlated with something else.
Blood tests can give you a false negative when if you are off of gluten during testing.
You should get a full panel done. The tTG is the best test...it is the most sensitive and is probably going to take the place of biopsy in kids for diagnosis in the near futrue. The other good tests are EMA and total serum IGA. If all the good tests come back negative the liklihood of you having celiac really drops. If you want to get a biopsy as well as blood tests that's fine too :D The Anti Gliadin IgA can come back a false negative if a celiac has IgA defiency which can come in celiacs.
Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
Total Serum IgA
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: