4 replies to this topic

#1 LisaP

LisaP

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 07:54 AM

Anyone know what Corn Tortillas brands really are gluten-free? I live in Dallas,Texas and LOVE Mexican food and the one thing I really miss that I have not been able to replace is tortillas. Anyone know of any alternative flour tortillas? If so, where do you get them?

Thanks for the help. I look forward to enjoying some yummy Mexican soon. ;)
Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_Libbyk_*

Guest_Libbyk_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2004 - 09:26 AM

hey lisa-
in texas of all places, it shouldn't be too hard to find basic tortillas. the old fashioned ingredients in corn tortillas are corn and lime. If your grocery store only has chemically enhanced ones, maybe a local mexican grocery? Probably super cheap there too. good luck.

Libby

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 09:50 AM

I haven't seen too many that were NOT gluten-free.... Hmm... I have gotten ones from Trader Joe's and Wild Oats, but that's just because I haven't shopped at a Ralphs(Kroger), Vons (Safeway), or Pavillions in months due to the strike... As the other person said, ingredients are usually just corn and lime (sometimes a bit of salt...), so if your store is only carrying chemically altered ones, look around at other stores.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 LisaP

LisaP

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 10:52 AM

Thanks guys my confidence is building. I was afraid of cross contamination if the production plant made flour tortillas as well, but sounds like from experience you guys have been able to trust just the ingredients.

Thanks! Sounds like I 'm having Mexican for dinner tonight!
Lisa

#5 chawk310

chawk310

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 09:28 AM

I took an interest in this subject since I use corn tortillas for my son. I usually spread peanut butter on it or place some bologna on it, and he rolls it up. Being somewhat new at this and having thought they were gluten-free, I pulled them out of the refrigerator and looked again. To ease my mind, I went on their website (the La Banderita corn tortillas) www.olemexicanfoods.com, and they do state that their corn tortillas are gluten-free!!

Hope this info helps you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: