This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

It's Easier To Just Not Eat

realmaverick

realmaverick Apprentice

Thanks Chelle, I appreciate it. Will check the gravy out.

Mushroom, would you mind telling me how you feel when you eat potatoes or potato starch? I don't know what to look out for.

Julie, do you know if the blood tests are accurate? I don't mind paying privately if they work.

Thanks everyone :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hey guys, thanks once again.

Sorry I've not replied properly, my brain fog is currently horrific.

I spent several days avoiding nightshades and dairy, as they were two possible reasons why I might still be feeling so tired.

Yesterday I woke up feeling my normal, tired self. Nothing out of the ordinary. I eat chicken and nothing else but foods very high in sugar. Chocolate, Haribo, Fruit gums, cake... (all gluten free).

Second half of the day I become exhausted. I ended up going to bed early (for me) and ended up spending 12 hours asleep in bed. I woke up and still felt exhausted but I had to get up as I was meeting a friend for coffee. I got back and slept another 2 and a half hours and I'm still exhausted. I feel as though I've been drugged.

I often get Hypoglycemic type symptoms, where I'll get light headed, trembles, extremely weak and NEED sugar otherwise I feel I'll faint. I'm wondering whether I've maybe got a sugar sensitivity or perhaps fructose malabsorbsion?

I noticed this happens often if I eat only meat and potatoes. I also noticed that on the Atkins diet, I cannot seem to produce energy from it and feel extra weak. Which goes against the sensitivity to sugar? Hmmm

I'm so darned confused and frustrated.

Thanks again for all the awesome support and advice.

Maybe you should try staying off dairy and nightshades for a couple weeks then, and see if it helps. When I went off soy, it was a week and a half before I felt somewhat better, but over a month to really get to feeling a lot better.

Sometimes one or two days just isn't enough time. In fact most of the time\ that is not enough to get good results IMHO.

One of my symptoms with soy was having crashes, where I would start to pass out. Low blood pressure episodes I guess. The doctor checked my head with wires and a computer and said the computer was smarter than me. Lucky computer! :D Also said there wasn't anything wrong with my brain thing. Basically, the doctors couldn't explain my symptoms. But getting soy out of my diet was the cure for them. Now I wander the internet saving millions well, or anyone, from the same ghastly soy fate. Freedom from the soy lobby! Viva the revolucion! :D :D This is the funny pages thread right?

I think my soy symptoms were just food reactions, but other people could have similar reactions to other foods. So your tiredness could be due to nightshades or dairy or both, or something else you are eating. I think I am starting to react to peanuts now, so I am knocking those out for a few weeks to see what happens.

The more items you eat, the harder it is to pin down a culprit. Maybe you should write down all the separate things you ate this morning and consider which of them are suspects. That list would include all the preservatives and chemicals and food coloring s in the junk foods you ate too. Any of them could be a problem for your body.

realmaverick Apprentice

Thanks GFinDC, I've never tried eliminating Soy. I guess I should, as it's high up there!

I will check for soy, in the stuff that's currently in my fridge.

plumbago Experienced

Hi there, I just saw your post and it got my attention because I feel the same way. I have been gluten-free since Oct. 5th of this year, and while it's a tiny bit better it's still hard. I don't have the money to spend on a lot of gluten-free stuff and some stuff is just disgusting to me. Like I can't stand pancakes made with gluten-free Bisquick. It just tasted horrible to me. But I want to try making biscuits with it before I make my final say.

I am living off of chicken, eggs, cheese, almond milk, rice milk, sugary treats, salty treats, gluten-free pasta, and frozen yogurt by Kemps. I was losing weight but gained it back due to all the sugar and salt I've been taking in. But have to give up the salt which I was getting from Cheetos. It's made me sick and I don't know if it was due to CC or if it was due to having a slight intolerance to corn.

Hi,

I bought Bob's and Pamela's pancake mixes as I have pancakes nearly every morning for breakfast. Pamela's is good. Bob's just so-so, so to use it up, I mix about an eighth of it in with Pamela's. It's very good, no less good than "regular" pancakes.

For lunch and dinner, I often cook a piece of beef or rib eye, and the juices produced go great over rice or veggies. I also cook a lot of lemon chicken with garlic, so ditto with those juices.

Then I've been incorporating salads. My menus change, but that's what I'm eating now, and it's perfectly do-able. I drink Meyers lamb's milk since for me it's easier to digest. But THAT *is* an expensive item.

_Plumbago

mushroom Proficient

Well, Maverick, if there's one thing I've learned on this forum, it's never to expect to respond to something the way anyone else reacts to it. I suppose you could say I am a maverick in the way I respond to things :D I only really got fatigue and depression when I was low in nutrients and my thyroid was out of whack. Most of my other intolerances if they were not gastric (bloating putting pressure on the vagus nerve with fainting and atrial fibrillation) were hives, itching and rashes - particularly soy and nightshades for those. But then I have a lot of skin problems (psoriasis too) so I express my symptoms that way it seems. Even after I stopped eating potatoes the potato starch in processed foods was getting me - my back and shoulders itched for years before I took out the potato starch too. So really you have to do your own food and symptom diary because you are you and will react as your body sees fit :P and not necessarily the way anyone else reacts. Some people have none of my symptoms, some will have none of yours. Celiac (as are other food intolerances) is the great mimicry artist.

Noni Rookie

Hang in there Noni,

I know how bleak it must seem with how expensive it is to follow a gluten-free diet. Maybe we can get together a collection for you from the forum. I'm unemployed but feel very blessed that my husband currently has a good job. If there's anyone out here who wants to lend a hand I'd be happy to organize it.

Loey

That's so sweet of you to offer! No one else has even commented on my reply. I really, truely appreciate you compastion. Thanks so much.

Loey Rising Star

Another update. The bread I eat, had potato starch as one of the main ingredients. Which got me thinking, to the cakes I eat yesterday, also contain potato starch.

Each time I eat potatoes I get hypoglycaemic type reactions. Maybe they are an issue with me. Gosh.

Sounds like you need to look at dairy and the starches in bread. I tried bread today for the first time in a while and I have some serious pain. Going back to bed for a while but I wanted to check my email first. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Loey

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Loey Rising Star

Potatoes were a big issue with me and potato starch is in so much!! It's a pain in more ways than one.

I agree. I am having trouble eating potatoes and didn't check for potato starch on the ingredients. Wouldn't it be nice to just be able to eat something and not worry about what's in it? Having a friend of my husband's over for dinner and I made gluten-free vegetable lasagna but I can't have it because of the dairy and the tomatoes. At least Iwas able to make them a nice meal.

Loey

Marz Enthusiast

Just to add, since eating the cheese on toast, shortly after I feel completely and utterly wiped out. Writing this, I'm sweating and feeling like I'm gonna fall asleep. Brain fog is immense. *sigh*

Did you have margarine on that cracker? Margarine can include vegetable oils which can include soy, which I believe is the devil's food. ;)

I used to get intense nausea from nightshades, it has since cleared up - I just have to make sure I keep nightshades to a small amount with each meal, and cook thoroughly.

I've found that I feel sick after eating pears, but a peeled pear is perfect.

It's weird things like this that makes it worth keeping track of what you're eating :)

Soy is just so evil for me, it's not even funny. Worse than gluten. I don't get any DH (skin rash) from it, which makes sense, but the stomach problems are very bad. I'm guessing just a severe intolerance.

Oh, and add chicken and egg to the list of things that make me seriously nauseous.

My nausea could be your brainfog/sweating, I think we all react differently to foods that our bodies can't tolerate. Oh, do you get an increased heart beat with that sweating? Sometimes I'll eat something, and have a weird racing heartbeat and feeling very "warm" - usually I'll take my temp and it'll be 37.5 exactly. I still haven't tracked down what causes this...and whether it's trace gluten or some other intolerance.

Loey Rising Star

Thanks Loey,

I'm eating veggies. I'm also back on dairy. I don't think I have a problem with it. I just had a piece of cheese on toast, using gluten free bread called Genius. With the cheese on, it was really quite nice.

I had some fries earlier, for the first time in 5 days and I felt sick half way through eating them. So perhaps potatoes are a problem. I guess trial and error.

I;ve not been tested for vitamins, other than iron which was low. I'm taking tons of vitamins, but I guess if my body isn't absorbing them it's an issue.

Gotta get to the bottom of this fatigue.

Just reread this post and in addition to the potatoes in the french fries - you don't know what kind of oil they use for cooking them. Many are a mix. I can't tolerate soy, canola or several other types (olive oil is my one saving grace).

Hang in there and one item by one item you'll be able to figure it out. It's time consuming but worth it. Right now I'm really angry with myself for gambling on a day that we're having company.

Going back to bed (and the bathroom) for a while. Will check again later.

Hang in there everyone!

Loey

Loey Rising Star

Hi there, I just saw your post and it got my attention because I feel the same way. I have been gluten-free since Oct. 5th of this year, and while it's a tiny bit better it's still hard. I don't have the money to spend on a lot of gluten-free stuff and some stuff is just disgusting to me. Like I can't stand pancakes made with gluten-free Bisquick. It just tasted horrible to me. But I want to try making biscuits with it before I make my final say.

I am living off of chicken, eggs, cheese, almond milk, rice milk, sugary treats, salty treats, gluten-free pasta, and frozen yogurt by Kemps. I was losing weight but gained it back due to all the sugar and salt I've been taking in. But have to give up the salt which I was getting from Cheetos. It's made me sick and I don't know if it was due to CC or if it was due to having a slight intolerance to corn.

This is a learning experience for us all, but don't give up. I feel a little better since giving it up and I was told it can take some time before you feel better or before you find what works for you. Now I will say that I read when you just start gluten-free you get really tired because you are going through withdrawal in a way. I was so exhausted for about two weeks when I started. But then it passed and I was fine unless I had a CC issue. So give it a little more time if you just started.

Oh also, I noticed you were upset about not having gravy for your food. I have been researching for gluten-free options for Thanksgiving food and found a recipe on a gluten-free blog for gravy. Blogs will be very helpful for you as well. A lot of people giving tons of free info out there. Here's the link I found for the gravy. Open Original Shared Link

I just wanted to say I have not been officially diagnosed as having gluten intolerance of celiac disease, but I was very ill before I gave up gluten and since giving it up I can function a lot better. I mean I was at the point where I didn't want to leave the house because of anxiety, pain, breathing issues, weak tingling legs, etc. Now a lot of that is gone and just by giving up gluten. So stick with it. I know I'm still just starting, but I would never go back to gluten-full food even with all I am going through and the frustration of not knowing what to eat. Try reading blogs. Do more research. This forum alone has given me so much information. If you are on Facebook, they have groups on there for celiac disease/gluten-free people. Google is your friend also. Just keep going, and also try new things. I decided to give up dairy milk because it always made me sick. I have tried two kinds of almond milk and find I like Blue Diamonds better than Silk. Silk tastes to watered down. And I've tried rice milk by Dream I believe and find I don't like the taste of it but it's awesome for baking. Speaking of baking, General Mills has a ton of mixes you can bake along with tons of gluten-free pre-packaged foods you can make too. Not sure how much you have of this in the UK, but you might be able to order some stuff if you don't have it there. Ok, this got long, but I just wanted to pop in and give some advice and give you the gravy link. I hope I could help you some. And I hope your tests will reveal something that will help you figure out what's wrong with you. Sending healing hugs your way.

Chelle

Hi Chelle,

Thanks for the gravy link. I'm making duck for Thanksgiving but will use the gravy recipe in the future! Healing hugs and positive energy to you all!!!!

Loey

P.S. finally starting to feel better. Realized in addition to the bread I used safflower mayonnaise. Sometimes it's hard not to be bad!!!! sad.gif

Loey Rising Star

This is a learning experience for us all, but don't give up. I feel a little better since giving it up and I was told it can take some time before you feel better or before you find what works for you. Now I will say that I read when you just start gluten-free you get really tired because you are going through withdrawal in a way. I was so exhausted for about two weeks when I started. But then it passed and I was fine unless I had a CC issue. So give it a little more time if you just started.

Oh also, I noticed you were upset about not having gravy for your food. I have been researching for gluten-free options for Thanksgiving food and found a recipe on a gluten-free blog for gravy. Blogs will be very helpful for you as well. A lot of people giving tons of free info out there. Here's the link I found for the gravy. Open Original Shared Link

I just wanted to say I have not been officially diagnosed as having gluten intolerance of celiac disease, but I was very ill before I gave up gluten and since giving it up I can function a lot better. I mean I was at the point where I didn't want to leave the house because of anxiety, pain, breathing issues, weak tingling legs, etc. Now a lot of that is gone and just by giving up gluten. So stick with it. I know I'm still just starting, but I would never go back to gluten-full food even with all I am going through and the frustration of not knowing what to eat. Try reading blogs. Do more research. This forum alone has given me so much information. If you are on Facebook, they have groups on there for celiac disease/gluten-free people. Google is your friend also. Just keep going, and also try new things. I decided to give up dairy milk because it always made me sick. I have tried two kinds of almond milk and find I like Blue Diamonds better than Silk. Silk tastes to watered down. And I've tried rice milk by Dream I believe and find I don't like the taste of it but it's awesome for baking. Speaking of baking, General Mills has a ton of mixes you can bake along with tons of gluten-free pre-packaged foods you can make too. Not sure how much you have of this in the UK, but you might be able to order some stuff if you don't have it there. Ok, this got long, but I just wanted to pop in and give some advice and give you the gravy link. I hope I could help you some. And I hope your tests will reveal something that will help you figure out what's wrong with you. Sending healing hugs your way.

Chelle

Just remember that nightshades can be a big problem for some of us. I find this frustrating because I love a stir fry of zucchini, eggplant and mushrooms but have to just use zucchini. As I mentioned before we all seem to have our individual problems and allergies on top of the Celiac. I had to chuckle when you mentioned google, Chelle because I've been finding that a lot of the times I google a topic it brings me back to this forum. Must be because it's the most educated, compassionate, and giving group of people gathered in one place!!! So, although we have a lot to be upset about we are not alone and have a wonderful extended family in this support group!

Loey

Loey Rising Star

:( I can hear where you coming from about "I'd rather not eat" but......be thankful you're not in my situation. I've written in several times for advice on what to eat & received some good ideas. As you said, I've ran out of ideas on what to eat. The choices really are limited unless you have alot of money to spend. Even the natural whole cooking costs money. Face it!

Therein comes my circumstances. I've just went through a divorce, live alone on a fixed income. I can't afford the food everyone has recommended. As things are, (very difficult), it takes all my money to pay my basic bills. I'm only receiving $36 a month for food! They say I make too much! Didn't know $800 was so much.

So.....with $36.....I won't buy the usual cheap food, its all gluten. I get free food from churches but it's usually gluten.

So I'd rather not eat! If I do, I will be in misery from the crohn's or the celiac disease. Right? Right!

There is a good part! Just had my antibody done. For the first time since 1994.....I'm gluten-free!!!!!!

I'm happy!

Have lost 60lbs, that's ok with me. Just wish I could keep my blood sugar up.

So, be thankful that you can buy food. Don't be so picky.

I would eat anything gluten-free......if I could afford to buy it.

Have a good one!

Hi Noni,

I sent you three PM's but haven't heard back from you. Did you get them?

Loey biggrin.gif

WheatChef Apprentice

A little problem with the gravy recipe listed above. Without either significant reduction (which probably wont produce enough gravy for this meal) or without a roux the gravy will be as thin as water. Instead of the linked recipe try this:

Remove pan drippings into a fat separator.

Skim about 4 TBSP of the grease from the top and add to a pan.

Use the grease to saute finely minced onions and celery.

Add about 4 TBSP of either a bean flour or nut flour to the pan and continue to cook stirring almost nonstop until the flour turns slightly golden and produces a slightly stronger aroma.

Slowly add the pan dripping liquids (not fat) into the pan while whisking well. Adjust to desired volume with hot chicken or turkey stock while also whisking well. Cook for another 5-10 minutes and serve. If consistency ends up becoming too watery then in a different pan heat up some equal parts bean or nut flour (whichever you used above) and either butter or lard or turkey fat. Once this roux becomes fragrant slowly add some of the gravy into this new pan while whisking until you've got a decent mixture going then add that into the gravy pan.

The onions and celery are somewhat optional especially if you don't want little vegetables in your gravy.

If you don't have a gravy/fat separator then all you have to do is pour the drippings into a measuring cup or other container with more vertical than horizontal and put it into the freezer for a little bit while it separates. You'll want the liquid to be hot or at least warm when adding it back into the roux mixture so you'll need to heat it back up in a small pot before using it.

Archived