Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Pizza Cooked In Oven Where Other Normal Pizzas Are Cooked

5 posts in this topic

Was cooked in the same place he normally cooks pizzas with a non gluten free base

Handled with tongs that have probably picked up other non gluten free pizza... Likely I got glutened?

I cant tell yet from how I feel.

rant: small business... no wonder there small advertising gluten free pizza then saying they 'dunno' if the ham is gluten free then having no concept what so ever of cross contamination

Ads by Google:

Yep. I would say so.

If no precautions were taken then you likely did get CC'd from the place. When you are feeling better go in and talk to the owner and let them know what they need to do to cook gluten-free pizza safely.

I made pizzas as a teenage (before my diagnosis).

I can't imagine ANY pizza place being safe. Too much flour dust, untrained employees, cc's mixing bowls/paddles/pans/tongs/etc etc.

Make it at home and/or buy Udi's crusts.

Some places are aware and take special actions to minimize the chance of contamination. Ask about the handling, and what steps they take to avoid cc. I have had good experience with three different pizza places that offer gluten-free pizza. All of them use gluten-free crusts prepared offsite and delivered to the pizzeria ready to bake. Separate pans, dedicated slicers, and other steps may be followed. Ask.

For those of you in my part of the world, Pizza Pizza, Boston Pizza and Il Fornello are the ones I have experience with. Pizza Nova is new to the gluten-free world and I haven't any experience with them.