4 replies to this topic

#1 UnhappyCoeliac

UnhappyCoeliac

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:21 PM

Was cooked in the same place he normally cooks pizzas with a non gluten free base
Handled with tongs that have probably picked up other non gluten free pizza... Likely I got glutened?
I cant tell yet from how I feel.

rant: small business... no wonder there small advertising gluten free pizza then saying they 'dunno' if the ham is gluten free then having no concept what so ever of cross contamination

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:08 AM

Yep. I would say so.

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,667 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:56 AM

If no precautions were taken then you likely did get CC'd from the place. When you are feeling better go in and talk to the owner and let them know what they need to do to cook gluten-free pizza safely.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 CeliacAndCfsCrusader

CeliacAndCfsCrusader

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:47 PM

I made pizzas as a teenage (before my diagnosis).

I can't imagine ANY pizza place being safe. Too much flour dust, untrained employees, cc's mixing bowls/paddles/pans/tongs/etc etc.

Make it at home and/or buy Udi's crusts.

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,990 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:02 PM

Some places are aware and take special actions to minimize the chance of contamination. Ask about the handling, and what steps they take to avoid cc. I have had good experience with three different pizza places that offer gluten-free pizza. All of them use gluten-free crusts prepared offsite and delivered to the pizzeria ready to bake. Separate pans, dedicated slicers, and other steps may be followed. Ask.

For those of you in my part of the world, Pizza Pizza, Boston Pizza and Il Fornello are the ones I have experience with. Pizza Nova is new to the gluten-free world and I haven't any experience with them.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: