Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Can I Substitute Almond Meal For Sweet Rice Flour?

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 freeatlast

freeatlast

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:52 AM

I printed off Gluten-free Girl's Irish Soda Bread recipe and wondered if it would make sense to use almond meal (I hope that is the same as almond flour?)in place of sweet rice flour (Whole Foods was out of it yesterday).

I am hoping to make it for our 12th anniversary on Sunday along with lamb and fixings.

Here's the recipe:
http://glutenfreegir...egin-again.html
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Kay DH

Kay DH

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:27 AM

Almond meal is a coarser grind than almond flour, it also isn't sticky like the glutinous (sticky) rice. Almond meal might work, but the bread would probably be a bit heavier. Tapioca or amaranth flour might work better, and cornstarch should work, too.

#3 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:07 AM

Check the asian market or asian section of the regular grocery-sweet rice flour is also called Mochiko or glutinous rice flour.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#4 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:05 AM

Almond meal is a coarser grind than almond flour, it also isn't sticky like the glutinous (sticky) rice. Almond meal might work, but the bread would probably be a bit heavier. Tapioca or amaranth flour might work better, and cornstarch should work, too.

Thanks! What is a good thing to use almond meal for? I just bought it.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#5 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:07 AM

Check the asian market or asian section of the regular grocery-sweet rice flour is also called Mochiko or glutinous rice flour.

Thank you! Do brands differ a lot at the Asian mkts or are they all about the same? I'm not sure how to know which brands are better at ethnic mkts.

#6 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:20 AM

Thank you! Do brands differ a lot at the Asian mkts or are they all about the same? I'm not sure how to know which brands are better at ethnic mkts.

The various flours and starches I buy come from Japan, Korea and Vietnam and Thailand. I haven't noticed any differences, except in price-much cheaper!:) In our local market, regarding the tapioca starches, one of several Korean brands was not as finely ground as the rest, but it was visible.

Almond meal show up in some recipes. For now, put it in a well sealed bag and pop it in the freezer to keep it fresh. Down the line, when you find a recipe to use it in, you'll have it ;)
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#7 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:57 PM

Or if you're looking for a reason to use it, just google recipe and almond flour
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:08 AM

Or if you're looking for a reason to use it, just google recipe and almond flour

So, are you saying to use almond meal when a recipe calls for almond flour?

#9 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:09 AM

The various flours and starches I buy come from Japan, Korea and Vietnam and Thailand. I haven't noticed any differences, except in price-much cheaper!:) In our local market, regarding the tapioca starches, one of several Korean brands was not as finely ground as the rest, but it was visible.

Almond meal show up in some recipes. For now, put it in a well sealed bag and pop it in the freezer to keep it fresh. Down the line, when you find a recipe to use it in, you'll have it ;)

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: