This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Good Job, Scott! Awareness.......

celiac3270

celiac3270 Collaborator

The Gluten-Free Mall Underwrites "Gut Reaction" Public Radio Documentary on Celiac Disease

Summary:

The Gluten-Free Mall underwrites a new Public Radio program on celiac disease called "Gut Reaction," a documentary that details the difficult real-life stories of people diagnosed with celiac disease.

For_Immediate_Release:

The Gluten-Free Mall has underwritten a new Public Radio program on celiac disease called "Gut Reaction." The one-hour program was produced by Richard L. Paul of rlpaulproductions, LLC, many Public Radio stations across the USA have already aired it, including WAMU in Washington, DC, WILL-FM in Champaign/Urbana, IL, WBE in Chicago, IL, WCPN-FM in Cleveland, OH, seventeen stations on the Minnesota Public Radio Network, and it is scheduled to air on many more stations in the future--including next weekend on WFUV in New York City. Several stations who aired it got such an overwhelmingly positive listener response that they have decided to air it multiple times.

The touching documentary details the difficult real-life stories of several individuals who, after suffering for many years with severe, unexplained health problems, were finally diagnosed with celiac disease. Unfortunately their stories are not unique, and resemble many of those who have been affected by the disease. According to Scott Adams, Founder of The Gluten-Free Mall� and Celiac.com: "We underwrote Gut Reaction with the aim of getting the word out about celiac disease to millions of people across the USA, including to those who are unaware that they have it--a full 1-in-133 Americans have celiac disease, but only 1-in-4,700 are ever diagnosed--which is not an acceptable ratio. Hopefully this program will have a positive impact on those who hear it, and will ultimately lead to the diagnosis and treatment of many people. It is also our hope that the program will lead to a better understanding of the disease among those who don't have it, so that it will be easier for those with it to maintain its only acceptable medical treatment--a 100% gluten-free diet for life."

Mr. Adams emphasizes that: "We believe that Public Radio is the perfect vehicle to deliver this important message about celiac disease to people across the USA, because its function is public service and education via quality, educational programming--and Gut Reaction is just that." He continues: "You can help us to get Gut Reaction aired in your community by going to Celiac.com and following the steps listed there to contact the programming director at your local Public Radio station." He explained that Public Radio programming is decided on a station by station basis, and each station's program director decides which shows get aired on their station--so each person who contacts them can have a huge influence on which programs get chosen.

More About Celiac Disease:

Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease which triggers a chronic reaction to certain protein chains, commonly referred to as glutens, found in some cereal grains. This reaction causes destruction of the villi in the small intestine, with resulting malabsorption of nutrients (see www.celiac.com for more info).

More About The Gluten-Free Mall, Your Special Diet Superstore:

Since 1998 The Gluten-Free Mall has provided online shopping for wheat and gluten-free foods for those on special diets due to celiac disease, wheat allergy or other health reasons, via their Internet site: www.glutenfreemall.com. For more information contact: Scott Adams info@glutenfreemall.com.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

I'm confused. This article is dated yesterday, and yet, when I went to the radio station's website it showed nothing. A search revealed that this was sometime between January and March of this year.... darn. I thought this was something current. Agg...stupid, stupid news people who put stuff on a website 3-5 months later..... <_<

Archived