This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cigars Have Gluten!

heliotrope42

heliotrope42 Newbie

I've been eating gluten-free since my celiac diagnosis in the spring of 2003.

I started flirting with a cigar habit earlier this year. Simultaneously I started worrying about needing to go to the doctor for the chronic tightness in my left abdomen. It felt like I had a growth in there that was causing blockage. It's funny how I couldn't put two and two together! It was the same symptom, for me, as from gluten exposure. Often I would feel the tightness shortly after I lit up a cigar, and I wondered if the nicotine somehow had caused my intestines to spaz out.

In my reading about cigars, I found out that they brush on a paste, often containing flour, to the outer leaves as they roll the cigar. I emailed a cigar expert on allexperts.com, and he replied that as far as he knew ALL major cigar manufacturers use a paste that contains gluten.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the fancier type of cigar that has an actual tobacco leaf rolled around the outside, not Swisher Sweets and the like that use a brown tobacco paper. But who knows about those cheaper cigars, either.

So I have no problem resisting croissants and pizza, but I'm still finishing my last cigar. I know I can't buy any more now that my denial has been shattered, and I'm not about to start smoking cigarettes, so I'm going to have to go through three days of quiet hell to kick this nicotine addiction. Sigh. I know, I know...

If there are any dedicated cigar smokers here who are celiac, I think the only solution is to roll your own. Perfectly acceptable cigar glue can be made from pectin or guar gum. I found a website that sells whole leaf tobacco for rolling. I'm not going to go down that road (I hope), because I don't want to make that type of formal commitment to this bad habit.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jststric Contributor

I started flirting with a cigar habit earlier this year. Simultaneously I started worrying about needing to go to the doctor for the chronic tightness in my left abdomen. It felt like I had a growth in there that was causing blockage. It's funny how I couldn't put two and two together! It was the same symptom, for me, as from gluten exposure. Often I would feel the tightness shortly after I lit up a cigar, and I wondered if the nicotine somehow had caused my intestines to spaz out.

In my reading about cigars, I found out that they brush on a paste, often containing flour, to the outer leaves as they roll the cigar. I emailed a cigar expert on allexperts.com, and he replied that as far as he knew ALL major cigar manufacturers use a paste that contains gluten.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the fancier type of cigar that has an actual tobacco leaf rolled around the outside, not Swisher Sweets and the like that use a brown tobacco paper. But who knows about those cheaper cigars, either.

So I have no problem resisting croissants and pizza, but I'm still finishing my last cigar. I know I can't buy any more now that my denial has been shattered, and I'm not about to start smoking cigarettes, so I'm going to have to go through three days of quiet hell to kick this nicotine addiction. Sigh. I know, I know...

If there are any dedicated cigar smokers here who are celiac, I think the only solution is to roll your own. Perfectly acceptable cigar glue can be made from pectin or guar gum. I found a website that sells whole leaf tobacco for rolling. I'm not going to go down that road (I hope), because I don't want to make that type of formal commitment to this bad habit.

REALLY??? My hubby got turned onto cigars about a year ago after being given a Java-flavored one. I have to admit that I enjoyed a few puffs of each that he has tried. Well, most of them, lol. I haven't noticed anything that would make me wonder about gluten in them, tho. However, I have often had a degree of bothersome issues and never knew why! Thanks for the info....I shouldn't be smoking anyway! : )

YoloGx Rookie

Bravo for you--for both figuring this out and deciding to quit tobacco.

Have you considered trying hypnotherapy to help you quit? My understanding is that it is a lot more effective and quicker than many other methods. Of course any method you try you will need to be really motivated--both for the physical withdrawal and the mental one.

A friend used smoking a mixture of coltsfoot and mullein to replace the tobacco (rolled or in a pipe--doesn't stay lit long however). Helped with the withdrawal, soothed the nerves.

Bea

Jestgar Rising Star
Skylark Collaborator

Heh. I think you're encouraging a bad habit. ;)

Loey Rising Star

I had some puffs of a cigar this past weekend and didn't connect it to celiac. Amazing how much there is to be learned from this forum!

Loey

modiddly16 Enthusiast

Loey- Just be careful...some of the information "learned" on this forum isn't always accurate. As with any open forum, some people post statements and make comments with very little facts other than hearsay. This particular thread for example has raised some questions. I have no information to say if cigars have gluten or if they do not because I'm not a smoker but its something to be aware of while being on this board!

Best wishes!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Loey Rising Star

Loey- Just be careful...some of the information "learned" on this forum isn't always accurate. As with any open forum, some people post statements and make comments with very little facts other than hearsay. This particular thread for example has raised some questions. I have no information to say if cigars have gluten or if they do not because I'm not a smoker but its something to be aware of while being on this board!

Best wishes!

Thanks!!! As a relative newbie i appreciate your input.

Loey smile.gif

• 1 year later...
golfking Rookie

I feel your pain. You could try a filter, that should help.

I also asked the doctors at the Beth Israel in Boston if sitting in a car with people who smoke cigars would affect my celiac. They have no study facts either way.

I am very new to this disease, about a year so I'm going to wait till i feel good for about a month before I try the filter.....good luck

Aly1 Contributor

Good lord, are cigarettes the same? I ask because cigarette smoke has never been a problem for me whereas I get very ill quickly from cigar smoke. Interesting stuff...

IrishHeart Veteran

I feel your pain. You could try a filter, that should help.

I also asked the doctors at the Beth Israel in Boston if sitting in a car with people who smoke cigars would affect my celiac. They have no study facts either way.

I am very new to this disease, about a year so I'm going to wait till i feel good for about a month before I try the filter.....good luck

This post is a year old and the original poster may not see your reply.

Just so you know!

Lisa Mentor

Good lord, are cigarettes the same? I ask because cigarette smoke has never been a problem for me whereas I get very ill quickly from cigar smoke. Interesting stuff...

Aly,

Being newly to the diet, that's an awesome task, in itself. I would suggest you take small steps and master the gluten free diet. It took me several months to master it. I would certainly suggest that you concentrate on your food intake for now. Master that, then move on to other things as necessary.

Cigar smoke should not be on your gluten list, ever. :)

Aly1 Contributor

Aly,

Being newly to the diet, that's an awesome task, in itself. I would suggest you take small steps and master the gluten free diet. It took me several months to master it. I would certainly suggest that you concentrate on your food intake for now. Master that, then move on to other things is its necessary.

Cigar smoke should not be on your gluten list, ever. :)

Oh, no worries! I am already an ex-smoker (thank GOD I don't have to tackle that! Only once in an lifetime please). But even back when I was a smoker, cigar smoke would make me come close to vomiting within minutes, with the cold sweat and everything. Never had any ideas why that would be, until (maybe) now. Unless cigarettes are the same. Who knows. I have too many other things to research these days!! :blink:

• 2 years later...
gh0st Newbie

Agio cigars (panter, Mehari, Balmoral, De Huifkar) use water and carboxymethylcellulose for adhesive. All their cigars are safe for celiacs (according to them (I received an email)).

Smoke up. I personally recommend the Panter Vanillas if you enjoy a mild smoke.

FruitEnthusiast Enthusiast

All their cigars are safe for celiacs (according to them (I received an email)).

Smoke up.

Really?

Why encourage Celiacs who have enough problems already to smoke? Smoking isn't "safe" for anyone. You can do as you please, but c'mon we're trying to get healthier around here for cryin' out loud :)

notme Experienced

Really?

Why encourage Celiacs who have enough problems already to smoke? Smoking isn't "safe" for anyone. You can do as you please, but c'mon we're trying to get healthier around here for cryin' out loud :)

ow.  i think you hit me with your stone..........  :(

moosemalibu Collaborator

Really?

I think everyone has a version of what is 'healthy' and they are not always a unanimous definition accepted by all. I personally smoke cigars. I have a humidor with about 15 cigars in it. I work out 5-6 days a week, eat healthy, abstain from alcohol but that is one of my indulgences. I don't necessarily consider myself unhealthy for it.

Oh no, I should have stayed out of this. I thought someone was encouraging others who didn't already smoke to start. I don't take it lightly as I used to smoke cigarettes, and after I quit, there were smokers trying to get me to start up again. I think that experience clouded my judgment here. Cigars and cigarettes are not the same thing anyway, and it wasn't my place to comment. I didn’t mean to hurt or offend anyone. I wish I could take back my careless comments :(

Notme, please, no stone, no stone… I'm so sorry.

Moosemalibu, you are absolutely right, everyone has indulgences, myself included, but it doesn't make us unhealthy. Please accept my apology.

ghOst, I think I got the wrong idea, sorry about that.

moosemalibu Collaborator

Oh no, I should have stayed out of this. I thought someone was encouraging others who didn't already smoke to start. I don't take it lightly as I used to smoke cigarettes, and after I quit, there were smokers trying to get me to start up again. I think that experience clouded my judgment here. Cigars and cigarettes are not the same thing anyway, and it wasn't my place to comment. I didn’t mean to hurt or offend anyone. I wish I could take back my careless comments :(

Notme, please, no stone, no stone… I'm so sorry.

Moosemalibu, you are absolutely right, everyone has indulgences, myself included, but it doesn't make us unhealthy. Please accept my apology.

ghOst, I think I got the wrong idea, sorry about that.

Thanks for the clarification.. Your back story certainly makes sense. I'm not offended, just giving my take on the post, too. ((Hug it out))

notme Experienced

it's all good, f.e. :)  

kareng Grand Master

Here's the thing....  There are lots of Celiacs,  with lots of different ideas about what they should or should not put in, on, around, over or under their bodies.  (think about a few of those  :ph34r: )  They come here wanting to know if these things are gluten-free.  So we tell them.  I don't see anything wrong with telling them it isn't good for them if you want.   I tell people Fritos are gluten-free and get comments about how awful they are for you. Doesn't change the fact that Fritos are gluten-free and  I LOVE them!  

Look back through some older threads.  We have discussed the gluten status of a lot of unhealthy,  ilegal  or Rated R products.   :lol:

• 1 month later...
West Coast Canuck Rookie

Any updates on whether swisher sweets, old port, colts or other cigarillos are gluten free ?

Used to enjoy one here and there, but since celiac disease diagnosis am waiting to confirm they are OK before having another.

LauraTX Rising Star

You may want to contact the company itself, that is where you hopefully will get the most accurate response.  

melissa211 Newbie

Any updates on whether swisher sweets, old port, colts or other cigarillos are gluten free ?

Used to enjoy one here and there, but since celiac disease diagnosis am waiting to confirm they are OK before having another.

swisher sweets are definitely gluten free since i switched to swisher sweets i stopped getting sick every day but i tried a white owl yesterday as a friend pointed out that the swisher and the white owl look very similar and i woke up feeling very sick and i havent gotten sick in like a week so im not sure but i'd say that white owl cigars are contaminated with gluten