Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Has Anyone Ever Had This Before?

16 posts in this topic

Hi all.

Since trying to go gluten-free to stop the pain I'm in, I've been missing some of the stuff, like pasta. I found some gluten-free/wheat free pasta (made of rice flour). I got sooooooooo ill from it last night it was unbelievable. I thought maybe it was the pasta sauce (vodka sauce lots of dairy), so I tried rice bread this morning. Same results. Very ill. In pain within a half an hour.

Is it possible to be "allergic" - sensitive I guess is the better word, to other grains? I know I don't get on with soy, and rice and corn were somewhat questionable, but I've never reacted that badly before. I've never really ate a lot of gluten-free stuff, so to be fair, this was really my first major intake of anything other than white flour/wheat flour.

I feel really defeated right now as I just don't know what I'm doing. :(

Thanks for listening.

Beth

Ads by Google:

It is possible to be intolerant or allergic to other grains, but there are other options as well. First, does regular rice cause this problem - not just processed rice? Also, was it a gluten like reaction or very different? How long have you been gluten free; sometimes things can bother you for a while until you heal? Have you identified other food intolerances?

Beth-

I agree with Tiffany... and I note I am intolerant to a ton of foods, and that some foods procedure worse "noticeable" reactions in me than gluten--like turkey, corn, some dairy, coffee... Might want to check into other food intolerances. Have you tried other gluten-free breads, like corn bread or a bean flour bread? Also, you should make sure when you're cooking that your not cross contaminated your gluten-free food with utensils, pans etc that have gluten on them... Hopefully you'll figure out the culprit soon. It takes some of us a while to work out all the kinks !!

Thanks for replying. The reaction was similar to gluten (nausea,dry heaves, then pain) but more pronounced. Gluten usually just goes to blinding pain within a half an hour. Rice in and of itself could be a problem. I was told to avoid rice and soy by my nutritionist, but corn should be ok every once in a while. Except for sushi, I was never a big rice eater. Never really liked the stuff. :)

I never thought about gluten being in the pans. I use a dishwasher and figured that would blast about anything off. :) I'll check into that.

Bean flour? I've never heard of it. What kind of beans is it made out of? Is it any good?

Sorry to be asking so many questions. :)

Beth

FYI - there is also tapioca bread. That's what I eat and I like it better than rice bread.

I'll definitely give that a try and see how it goes. Thanks Abby!! :)

Beth-

Questions are always welcome :) Bean flour can be made from several types of beans, some products will have a bit of a bean taste if there is much bean flour, but it leads to good texture. You can buy these flours in many places, but here is one example of Bob's Red Mill bean flour. I have this at home: http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/index.p...&product_ID=200

You could ck out this bread--very good texture and taste. One of the ingredients is a rice grass. Not sure if that is related to rice or just a name... THis bread is a favorite of many. http://www.glutenevolution.com/products.html

If you're using a dishwasher, I bet your okay. I just ask b/c its an issue for some. Ie:--sharing a toaster, muffin pan that has crusted on bread or something... I know there are other non-rice breads, but would need more time to look for some. I bet Abby's tapioca bread is bread. Ab--what brand do you get?

Jen - I think the brand is EnerG

I'm not saying Tapioca bread is the greatest in the world. But I've liked it better than the rice breads I've had. And it may be an option if you can't eat rice. ;)

okay-i'm an idiot! i just read my post where i said

I bet Abby's tapioca bread is bread

Jeez!! there is some genius logic there! i meant to say --"i bet her bread is good!"

:blink:

Jeez!! there is some genius logic there! i meant to say --"i bet her bread is good!"

It's easy to make mistakes, I have to edit my posts a lot because I make horrible mistakes all the time. That is pretty funny though :lol:

LOL :lol: ...we understood :)

I'm trying to go off of all grains but am happy to consider tapioca bread, etc for some foods. I'm thinking of ordering some of the raved about Chebe bread for that reason. Nice to have a grain free option.

Stephanie

:blink:

lol... I don't know... I think with gluten-free bread, there may be a fair amount of sense in that statement "I bet her bread is bread". some of it really isn't bread, you know. it's ground up cardboard held together by a vacuum package, unless it's actually just a porous rock. :lol:

Kinnikinnick has a very good Tapioca Bread as well, also they have a real nice English muffin which is mostly Tapioca I believe. I think there is a bit of rice flour in there as well, but when I was having trouble with rice both the bread and buns didn't bother me. I do hope that you find something that really agrees with you and tastes good too :rolleyes:

I totally agree, most gluten-free bread is NOT bread!

LOL, Susan

ha ha ! maybe i was "wise" in what i said then :)