Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Are Parsnips And Turnips Root Vegetables?

17 posts in this topic

Are Parsnips and Turnips Root Vegetables (and Nightshades) and should I be avoiding them if I have an ulcer? I'm making stew tomorrow and I've discovered that I can't handle potatoes. Just adding carrots is a little boring. Worse case is that I just make it for my husband but I'd love to be able to eat it too.

Thanks!

Loey

Ads by Google:

They are both root vegetables and are not nightshades. They sound just right for a root vegetable stew (rutabagas too) :)

Are Parsnips and Turnips Root Vegetables (and Nightshades) and should I be avoiding them if I have an ulcer? I'm making stew tomorrow and I've discovered that I can't handle potatoes. Just adding carrots is a little boring. Worse case is that I just make it for my husband but I'd love to be able to eat it too.

Thanks!

Loey

They are not nightshades, but they are root veggies. As far as I know, they shouldn't be a problem for an ulcer unless you have had problems with them in the past.

Hee! Shroomie and I posted at the same time :D

They are both root vegetables and are not nightshades. They sound just right for a root vegetable stew (rutabagas too) :)

Thanks!!!

Loey

Hee! Shroomie and I posted at the same time :D

I just noticed that too!

You are guys are the best!!!!

Hugs,

Loey

and they're absolutely delicious... you can blend them up to make your own version of "mashed potatoes" too! YUM

they should not bother your stomach at all... if i overdo them i get fructose malabsorption cramping...

im still working out my limit on them- cause they are too delicious to avoid :P

and they're absolutely delicious... you can blend them up to make your own version of "mashed potatoes" too! YUM

they should not bother your stomach at all... if i overdo them i get fructose malabsorption cramping...

I've used cauliflower as a replacement for potatoes when my son isn't home (he's deathly allergic to them). For Thanksgiving I'm making 2 ducks, a potato casserole for my son and husband and a sweet squash casserole for all of us.

The duck will take hours (although I'm thinking of using the convection setting on our oven - we're in a new home and the oven is the only appliance that didn't come with a manual - I finally got one online). This will be his first long visit home since he left for college in August. He stayed over for one weekend with a friend when we all went to a concert.

Can you tell I'm a wee bit excited about seeing him? I know I'll have at least 4-5 loads of wash to do.

I plan on getting together a bunch of recipes to post after the holidays. My husband's family was originally from Spain so I've found some gluten-free versions of the family recipes.

Loey

P.S. did I thank you both?

Loey biggrin.gif

If you are trying to avoid nightshade plants you will want to avoid potatoes, peppers, tomatoes and eggplant.

oh and I love turnips and parsnips. They are delicious. I do a side dish with chopped potatoes, turnips onions and garlic with mrs dash a little salt and some olive oil. Cook it up in a cast iron skillet or put the skillet on the grill, YUM!

enjoy the holidays with your son :)

i want to eat that squash casserole!!!!

If you are trying to avoid nightshade plants you will want to avoid potatoes, peppers, tomatoes and eggplant.

Thanks!!!!

Loey biggrin.gif

oh and I love turnips and parsnips. They are delicious. I do a side dish with chopped potatoes, turnips onions and garlic with mrs dash a little salt and some olive oil. Cook it up in a cast iron skillet or put the skillet on the grill, YUM!

Added lots of turnips and parsnips to my stew (it's rabbit stew which is a favorite of my husband's as he grew up in Spain for a good portion of his life). I initially felt guilty about cooking rabbit but got over it.

Loey ph34r.gif (wabbit killer)

I know this is an old thread :P but when I did a search about parsnips and rutabagas this is what came up :lol:

Any good recipes ??

I can not eat potatoes and recently sweet potatoes are making my glucose levels skyrocket,,,,, so rutabagas ?? parsnips ??Any one have issues with parsnips or rutabagas ?

I love parsnips. They are great pureed, and they are also great as a roast veggie. Rutabagas I tend to put more in stews and stuff - not quite so tasty!