#1 MollyBeth

MollyBeth

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:27 PM

Hello All!
It's been a while since I've been on here. Life has been going well and two years in I'm finally feeling like this gluten free stuff is getting almost easy!
Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. I've been struggling with allergic reactions lately and testing confirms that I am allergic to nickel which is found in a surprising amount of foods. The foods that I've used to replace the glutenous foods I used to love. Potatoes, beans, chocolate... these are just a few of the items on the list. I'm also supposed to avoid hot water from the tap? I don't know if that means I need to start taking cold showers or what? So anyway, I'm just two days into this and am obviously still doing research but I thought I'd drop by here and see if anyone else has this strange combination of Celiac disease and a nickel allergy. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I hope this message finds all of you in high spirits and good health!
Gluten Free 10/11/08
Negative Blood test 08/08
Positive Biopsy 10/08
No family members diagnosed...but Symtoms seem to be the same.
Father- Diverticulitis
Paternal Grandmother Died from Colon Cancer when she was 38.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
-Winston Churchill

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:05 PM

Sorry you have this additional challenge.:( Those of us with gluten issues seem to have sensitive immune systems! Don't know about nickel but I have a recent latex allergy dx and in latex allergy forum some have nickel allergy as well. Not familiar with the nature of the connection. I recently had a dx of chocolate allergy too and it's one of the very few indulgences I had left, the only "sweet". In our family, we tend to become allergic to the things that we eat often. Sigh...
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#3 snifter

snifter

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:46 PM

Yes I Do!! My sister gave me a watch and it had nickle on the backplate. It made me break out in a rash, I had to stop wearing it :(
Hope this helps, I've just been diagnosed with celiac and still have a lot to learn

#4 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:28 AM

Yes I Do!! My sister gave me a watch and it had nickle on the backplate. It made me break out in a rash, I had to stop wearing it Posted Image
Hope this helps, I've just been diagnosed with celiac and still have a lot to learn

I have the same nickel allergy problem and have never been able to wear inexpensive dept. store jewelry, especially earrings. In fact, I've had this for my entire life. And I was just diagnosed with celiac in April with positive blood tests as well as endoscopy/biopsy.

There is a company who makes inexpensive nickel-free jewelry and I'm able to wear it without a problem although it's been years since I ordered. Simply Whispers

Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#5 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:11 AM

I get a rash from nickel containing jewelry. I can wear only gold, and not even white gold, which contains nickel. I have a titanium watch. The gold ones I could afford kept breaking. I take hot showers, but I do heat up water for coffee, tea etc. and don't use hot water from the tap, but cold to start. I eat potatoes without problems, but I haven't found a chocolate which doesn't gluten me as I am super sensitive. Beans I can manage too if I sort and wash. Could there be some connection between nickel allergy and celiac disease?

#6 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:42 AM

I get a rash from nickel containing jewelry. I can wear only gold, and not even white gold, which contains nickel. I have a titanium watch. The gold ones I could afford kept breaking. I take hot showers, but I do heat up water for coffee, tea etc. and don't use hot water from the tap, but cold to start. I eat potatoes without problems, but I haven't found a chocolate which doesn't gluten me as I am super sensitive. Beans I can manage too if I sort and wash. Could there be some connection between nickel allergy and celiac disease?

I'm a yellow gold person as I never liked white gold but wasn't aware that it contained nickel.

My daughter is also gluten free (had a very positive DGP test in late Aug. but skipped the endoscopy/biopsy) and is able to wear inexpensive costume jewelry without a problem. However her daughter (my granddaughter) has a nickel allergy. She's going to be 13 in Dec. and my daughter plans to have her tested when she has her annual check-up even though she has exhibited no celiac symptoms that we're aware of. Interesting thread and I never thought of the possible connection.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#7 MollyBeth

MollyBeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:33 PM

It's always something. Just found out today I'm also allergic to something in rubber. My B12 and Iron are also too low again. Started dailyB12 shots today and am going in for IV iron next week. It will all be ok but this is all just frustrating.

Thanks for the jewelry site. I will look into it.
Gluten Free 10/11/08
Positive Biopsy 10/08
Father- Diverticulitis

-Winston Churchill

#8 tea_and_crumpets

tea_and_crumpets

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:20 PM

I have a nickel allergy and I can't wear cheap jewelry at all. I once had a belt buckle give me a rash on my bellybutton -- it was awful.

As for white gold, not all of it is made with nickel. My wedding band has never given me a problem. I'm not sure how one would find out what the alloy metal is in a particular piece of jewelry, though.

I wear stainless steel (in my piercings) and sterling silver, mostly.

I wonder if it's related to celiac somehow, or if we are just more prone to these sorts of things?

#9 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:06 PM

Nickel allergy is usually caused by getting your ears pieced with nickel-containing earrings. They've banned nickel in jewelry in European countries because of the likelihood of developing the allergy, but I believe it is still legal here. I also am alleric, as many people are...this is quite common.

I've never heard of the need to cut out nickel-containing foods. In fact, it seems very difficult, as it's a trace mineral and naturally occurs in all soil, etc. Is this something your doctor recommended? Did he/she say why? Just curious for my own knowledge...
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#10 MollyBeth

MollyBeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:54 PM

Yeah he told me to try a low nickel diet but that it would be hard because I'm gluten free. He didn't say I needed to completely eliminate it though like we do with gluten. He said chocolate and tree nuts were big ones. I'm still doing research. I'm going back in on Monday so I plan to talk to him more about it.
Gluten Free 10/11/08
Positive Biopsy 10/08
Father- Diverticulitis

-Winston Churchill

#11 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:20 AM

I had a nickel allergy before I had my ears pierced. I also eat a lot of nuts without any issues. Go figure.

#12 WW340

WW340

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:36 AM

I have had a nickel allergy for as long as I can remember. I can only wear yellow gold. I had to have all the amalgum taken out of my teeth and root canals, because I had such a terrible bone and tissue reaction to it.

Here is some information on nickel.
Nickel
Positive Bloodwork January 2007
Positive Biopsy Feb. 2007
Gluten Free since January 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,9)

#13 shopgirl

shopgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:34 AM

Nickel allergy is usually caused by getting your ears pieced with nickel-containing earrings. They've banned nickel in jewelry in European countries because of the likelihood of developing the allergy, but I believe it is still legal here. I also am alleric, as many people are...this is quite common.

I never knew that. I can't handle nickel in jewelry sterling silver is fine and we didn't realize it until I got my ears pierced as a kid. They were so infected that one hole never closed properly.

I've never had a problem eating foods that like chocolate or nuts. And I use ridiculously hot water to wash my face every day. Good luck with the trial diet. :)
"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

#14 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:37 AM

Do be sure to look into that rubber issue. If it's natural latex rubber allergy, nrla, then there are a number of everday things that need to be looked into and it's especially important to know about and notify others of in a medical setting.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#15 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:27 AM

I'm surprised so many of you can wear sterling silver with nickle allergies. Most US made sterling is hardened with nickle. I can't wear most sterling.
Birch Hills is another company that makes nickle free jewelry. I buy it at Stein Mart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: