24 replies to this topic

#16 shopgirl

shopgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:36 AM

I'm surprised so many of you can wear sterling silver with nickle allergies. Most US made sterling is hardened with nickle. I can't wear most sterling.
Birch Hills is another company that makes nickle free jewelry. I buy it at Stein Mart.

I wear a ring twenty-four hours a day that was guaranteed by the company to be pure sterling silver. It's the only jewelry I wear and have never had a problem with it. I'm not picking up cheap "sterling silver" from a department store. :)

If it itches, I take it off. But I wouldn't trust anything in my ears ever, even if it was guaranteed. A ring or a necklace is very different to me.
"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:57 PM

Yeah he told me to try a low nickel diet but that it would be hard because I'm gluten free. He didn't say I needed to completely eliminate it though like we do with gluten. He said chocolate and tree nuts were big ones. I'm still doing research. I'm going back in on Monday so I plan to talk to him more about it.

I too have a nickel allergy. It could be related to celiac or to having my ears pierced with nickel/white gold posts: They both happened around the same time.

See this other thread: http://www.celiac.co...age__hl__nickel

MollyBeth, you might want to avoid mineral make-up, which has metals in it. (BareMinerals is the most common but some mainstream makeup has minerals too.)
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#18 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:00 PM

I wear a ring twenty-four hours a day that was guaranteed by the company to be pure sterling silver. It's the only jewelry I wear and have never had a problem with it. I'm not picking up cheap "sterling silver" from a department store. :)

If it itches, I take it off. But I wouldn't trust anything in my ears ever, even if it was guaranteed. A ring or a necklace is very different to me.

I can wear good quality sterling in my ears - have had some bad pieces. I can even wear white gold rings. Watches, necklaces though give me a problem almost 100% of the time...I can't wear sterling or nickel or white gold - only stainless.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#19 MollyBeth

MollyBeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:11 PM

My allergy testing is 100% complete now. My reaction to rubber is mild, as is the nickel. I had a plus four reaction to thiomersal though. That is found in vaccines, soap free cleansers, cosmetics, and some first aid products.
Thank you all so much for the information! I've continued to eat many foods for the last week that have nickel in them and I haven't had any problems. I'm going to continue to monitor myself and see what happens!
Gluten Free 10/11/08
Negative Blood test 08/08
Positive Biopsy 10/08
No family members diagnosed...but Symtoms seem to be the same.
Father- Diverticulitis
Paternal Grandmother Died from Colon Cancer when she was 38.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
-Winston Churchill

#20 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

*I posted this info in another thread, but also thought I'd add it here.

"came across this article.   p. 10 and 11 beginning in section 5 especially table 5 shows that patients with allergic reactions to nickel just happen to have an increase of carrying the DQ2 and DQ8 genes   :o

https://docs.google....OIxKW4_Am5vkOyQ"

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

#21 mamat78

mamat78

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

I am not diagnosed...yet, but I have had a nickel rash from my belt consistently for about 8 years. It is there most of the time but with regular cortisone cream, it stays under control. awful, awful place for a rash! I also get severe DH (if thats what it turns out to be!). I go to doc on Tuesday to review my results. 

#22 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:34 AM

I also have a nickel allergy and used to get a terrible itching, oozing rash on my stomach where my belt came in contact with my skin - I went to an allergist several months back and he explained to me that many people have a topical nickel allergy and cant wear items (jewelry, belts, etc) that contain nickel, however out of those people, there is a very small percentage of people that cannot ingest nickel in foods or water.  So based on the way he explained it (and he was VERY thorough), just because someone reacts to nickel on the skin, it does not necessarily mean that they have to avoid nickel-containing foods.     MollyBeth - if you're not reacting to nickel foods, you may be in the topical group.  Hope this helps!!

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#23 Amelia1878

Amelia1878

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

Hi there, I suffer from diatary nickle allergy and anything with nickle in it, and I have Celiac Disease. For the past 15 years I have been stuggling with sores on my arms face and neck. Had a Chemical test done on my back that took a week to do and found out the reason for all the sores was a Nickle allergy. I am stumped because all the comfort foods that I enjoy to eat I can not eat anymore.

Does anyone have a list of Nickle free foods that are ok to eat? Not alloud to use silverware or use stainless steal pots and pans.

What is really sad on my part is I had a stroke 5 years ago I can no longer work, So I recieve SSDI and help from the state. which includeds Foodstamps and Medcaid I get medicare. But they just reduced my foodstamps to 60.00 a month Right now I just buy Chicken Boneless skinless Chicken, I drink Coffee with non dairy creamer and sugar. I should weight my goal weight but I am over that by 46 pounds.

They say I have High Cholestrol and I do not know why I do not eat anything but chicken.

I can not have onions, Chocolate, No Seeds, Nuts, Garlic, Potato's, Spinach,No canned goods, No Soy, No seafood, No beans, No peas, No Dairy, I have filters on all of my water faucts Tub shower and kitchen, Because my water has a high count of Nickle in it. I know there is more to my list but what I am seeking is a list of GOOD FOOD that contains NO Gluten or NICKLE  can you help me????

#24 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

Hi there, I suffer from diatary nickle allergy and anything with nickle in it, and I have Celiac Disease. For the past 15 years I have been stuggling with sores on my arms face and neck. Had a Chemical test done on my back that took a week to do and found out the reason for all the sores was a Nickle allergy. I am stumped because all the comfort foods that I enjoy to eat I can not eat anymore.

Welcome Amelia!

Just to let you know, most of the folks on this thread have not been on in a while.  Hopefully someone will be along that can help.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#25 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

Does anyone have a list of Nickle free foods that are ok to eat? Not alloud to use silverware or use stainless steal pots and pans.

What is really sad on my part is I had a stroke 5 years ago I can no longer work, So I recieve SSDI and help from the state. which includeds Foodstamps and Medcaid I get medicare. But they just reduced my foodstamps to 60.00 a month Right now I just buy Chicken Boneless skinless Chicken, I drink Coffee with non dairy creamer and sugar. I should weight my goal weight but I am over that by 46 pounds.

They say I have High Cholestrol and I do not know why I do not eat anything but chicken.

I can not have onions, Chocolate, No Seeds, Nuts, Garlic, Potato's, Spinach,No canned goods, No Soy, No seafood, No beans, No peas, No Dairy, I have filters on all of my water faucts Tub shower and kitchen, Because my water has a high count of Nickle in it. I know there is more to my list but what I am seeking is a list of GOOD FOOD that contains NO Gluten or NICKLE  can you help me????

This looks like a good explanation. There are some foods to avoid on about page 5.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3667300/

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: