This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nestle Butterscotch Chips Got Me

Frances03

Frances03 Enthusiast

I dont know why I thought they were gluten free, but just wanted to post that they aren't, in case someone else should need the info. I went and got some Hershey's butterscotch chips today, which ARE safe. But I had already made some peanut butter cookies with the Nestle brand and ate some. At least I figured it out before I ate the whole bag :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Nestle will clearly label in the ingredient list any source of gluten. What gluten ingredient was in the butterscotch chips that we should watch for?

Frances03 Enthusiast

They contain barley.

Here's the ingredients:

INGREDIENTS: SUGAR, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM KERNEL OIL, COCONUT OIL, LACTOSE, WHEY, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS (INCLUDING BARLEY PROTEIN), NON-FAT MILK, BUTTERMILK SOLIDS, SODIUM CASEINATE, SOY LECITHIN-AN EMULSIFIER, SALT, ARTIFICIAL COLORS (YELLOW 5 LAKE, YELLOW 6 LAKE, BLUE 2 LAKE)

and yes I know they clearly label, it was my own mistake, and I never blamed Nestle. I'm just posting this in case someone else should fail to look since most baking chips are gluten-free. These are NOT.

Rowena Rising Star

oops good thing I aint used my butterscotch chips! I swear I looked it up and it said they were safe on a list of Nestle products... but maybe I misread... Well time to toss those out.... Thanks for the heads up!

emaegf Newbie

Hershey's butterscotch chips are gluten free

• 4 weeks later...
cyberprof Enthusiast

Nestle will clearly label in the ingredient list any source of gluten. What gluten ingredient was in the butterscotch chips that we should watch for?

This is not true. I just checked Nestle online (Lean Cuisine). There are two dinners that don't have "wheat" on the list of included allergens (e.g. "Contains: Wheat, Dairy"). So I was going to buy them (Chicken with almonds and a glazed chicken).

But the FAQ page says: "Q. Looking for LEAN CUISINE

psawyer Proficient

There are two things that are relevant here.

When there is a difference between the label on the product you have in your hand and any other source, believe the label on the package you have.

Most manufacturers will not claim "gluten-free" since they do not test. They use practices to clean and take precautions but since they don't test they don't guarantee gluten-free.

"Not gluten free" IS NOT THE SAME AS "contains gluten."

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyberprof Enthusiast

There are two things that are relevant here.

When there is a difference between the label on the product you have in your hand and any other source, believe the label on the package you have.

Most manufacturers will not claim "gluten-free" since they do not test. They use practices to clean and take precautions but since they don't test they don't guarantee gluten-free.

"Not gluten free" IS NOT THE SAME AS "contains gluten."

Peter, you have good points. My points are: 1) Nestle has the ability to certify gluten-free if it wanted to; 2) I know it MAY be gluten-free or is LIKELY to be gluten-free but that is not something that I care to risk, as being ill causes all sorts of problems (missed work, missed family events not to mention internal damage); 3) I choose to support products that can confirm that they are gluten-free - the CYA statements are disingenuous and unhelpful; 4) random CC and small amounts of gluten add up.

In the case of Lean Cuisine, I would like to have a quick, healthful lunch to keep on hand. The two chicken meals that I could identify have no bread, tortillas, noodles, gravy etc. How hard would it be to make sure that the machinery was clean and the spices not CC'd and put a gluten-free label on two out of 15-20 varieties?

And taken to extreme, all companies could put CYA statements out there (chapstick is another one) and feel like they are being helpful but making life unnecessarily difficult for us.

I appreciate your input and do not want to quarrel with you but I am firm in my opinions.

kareng Grand Master

In the case of Lean Cuisine, I would like to have a quick, healthful lunch to keep on hand. The two chicken meals that I could identify have no bread, tortillas, noodles, gravy etc. How hard would it be to make sure that the machinery was clean and the spices not CC'd and put a gluten-free label on two out of 15-20 varieties?

I have the iPad app "Is that gluten-free?" it lists Smart Ones frozen meals as having a gluten-free list. It is a Heinz product. Also, Thai Kitchen has some add water and you get noodles. These are usually in the rice section at the grocery and would keep well in your car, pantry or desk at work.

There are some specialty frozen gluten-free meals but they can be $5. I have seen these Smart Ones for 4 for $5 on sale.

Open Original Shared Link This is a nice list of alot of products.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

i ALWAYS mess up the thai kitchen noodle things by putting too much water. I must be thai food challenged. :P

BethJ Rookie

i ALWAYS mess up the thai kitchen noodle things by putting too much water. I must be thai food challenged. :P

We need to work together . . . I never add enough water and end up with a gloppy mess. :D

MelindaLee Contributor

This is not true. I just checked Nestle online (Lean Cuisine). There are two dinners that don't have "wheat" on the list of included allergens (e.g. "Contains: Wheat, Dairy"). So I was going to buy them (Chicken with almonds and a glazed chicken).

But the FAQ page says: "Q. Looking for LEAN CUISINE® products which might be Gluten free. Is there a list of NESTLE® products which are Gluten free? A.Unfortunately, we cannot provide a list of NESTLE® products that are gluten free. Most of our products contain gluten or a derivative of gluten." This was retreived from the website today. Note that it doesn't refer just to Lean Cuisine but to all Nestle products.

So why would they go through the trouble of having an allergen list on the box but then CYA statement on the website? It just annoys the heck out of me.

Down with Nestle.

There are only 2 Lean Cuisine that I found that don't contain something with gluten. Though the Wheat may be distinctly labled, they are not required to distinctly lable barley or rye. I'm not sure I understand your objection. I appreciate companies that list gluten containing ingrediants, even if that means I have to read the list of ingrediants instead of just their "CONTAINS:" statement. Egads...we have some responsibility. :blink:

Jestgar Rising Star

In the case of Lean Cuisine, I would like to have a quick, healthful lunch to keep on hand.

I randomly pulled the ingredient list of a lean Cuisine meal. I've highlighted the things in it that make me question your "healthful" definition.

Ingredients:

COOKED CHICKEN TENDERLOINS (CHICKEN TENDERLOINS, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, WATER, CORN OIL, MODIFIED CORNSTARCH, LEMON JUICE CONCENTRATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATES, SALT, CARAMEL COLOR, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, GARLIC, ONION, PAPRIKA, SPICE), WATER, BLANCHED ENRICHED LONG GRAIN PARBOILED RICE (WATER, RICE, IRON, NIACIN, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, FOLIC ACID), GREEN BEANS, MUSHROOMS, ONIONS, 2% OR LESS OF BLANCHED WILD RICE, MODIFIED CORNSTARCH, SUGAR, SALT, CULTURED WHEY, CHICKEN FAT, LEMON JUICE CONCENTRATE, CARAMEL COLOR, DEHYDRATED ONIONS, SPICES, DEHYDRATED GARLIC, PAPRIKA.

Contains: MILK INGREDIENTS

Why not make your own and freeze it? You can leave out the extra fat, salt, and chemicals.

cyberprof Enthusiast

I have the iPad app "Is that gluten-free?" it lists Smart Ones frozen meals as having a gluten-free list. It is a Heinz product. Also, Thai Kitchen has some add water and you get noodles. These are usually in the rice section at the grocery and would keep well in your car, pantry or desk at work.

There are some specialty frozen gluten-free meals but they can be $5. I have seen these Smart Ones for 4 for $5 on sale.

Open Original Shared Link This is a nice list of alot of products.

Yes, I keep the Thai Kitchen noodles on hand for emergencies. But I have an executive level job and we often order in at short notice. Thai Kitchen noodles are too hard to cook fast and really - without adding shrimp or chicken, veggies and such - aren't a full meal.

But thanks for the Smart Ones list. I'll check it out.

cyberprof Enthusiast

There are only 2 Lean Cuisine that I found that don't contain something with gluten. Though the Wheat may be distinctly labled, they are not required to distinctly lable barley or rye. I'm not sure I understand your objection. I appreciate companies that list gluten containing ingrediants, even if that means I have to read the list of ingrediants instead of just their "CONTAINS:" statement. Egads...we have some responsibility. :blink:

That is EXACTLY my objection...they are not required to lable barley or rye. Both of those can be hidden easily in spices.

I don't want to argue but you're making it sound like I'm incorrect, and I'm not. It "may" be gluten-free but not guaranteed.

cyberprof Enthusiast

I randomly pulled the ingredient list of a lean Cuisine meal. I've highlighted the things in it that make me question your "healthful" definition.

Why not make your own and freeze it? You can leave out the extra fat, salt, and chemicals.

With all due respect, Jestgar (you usually have a lot of good ideas) I didn't ask for a critique of my choices.

I cook 90% of my food from scratch. This is for an emergency and/or quick when I don't have time or I'm not in my office (traveling) or it's short notice. I'm an executive, I have a family, plus I teach part-time at the university level so sometimes I don't have time to cook or bring my own.

OK, I think I'm done with this thread. I'm not annoyed with this community, only with Nestle.

psawyer Proficient

That is EXACTLY my objection...they are not required to lable barley or rye. Both of those can be hidden easily in spices.

No, they can't. Both barley and rye are grains, not spices. They can not be hidden there. Seasonings, yes, but not "spices." No grain can be labeled as a spice.

Jestgar Rising Star

With all due respect, Jestgar (you usually have a lot of good ideas) I didn't ask for a critique of my choices.

Sorry. I didn't mean to come off snotty. :P

I don't eat anything processed except in the raresest of cases, so eating a frozen packaged meal just doesn't seem like the right choice to me. I bring frozen meals to work that I have made. I get more volume for less calories, no preservatives, and I never have to worry about contamination.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

No, they can't. Both barley and rye are grains, not spices. They can not be hidden there. Seasonings, yes, but not "spices." No grain can be labeled as a spice.

Barley malt can also hide in 'natural flavors'.

lovegrov Collaborator

I don't want to argue but you're making it sound like I'm incorrect, and I'm not. It "may" be gluten-free but not guaranteed.

Never heard of barley being hidden in spices and I have yet in 9 years to find rye being hidden in anything at all. Do you have some examples of this happening?

richard

MelindaLee Contributor

They DO lable when there IS barley or rye.

Nothing in life is guarenteed except death :blink:

Archived