20 replies to this topic

#1 Frances03

Frances03

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:12 PM

I dont know why I thought they were gluten free, but just wanted to post that they aren't, in case someone else should need the info. I went and got some Hershey's butterscotch chips today, which ARE safe. But I had already made some peanut butter cookies with the Nestle brand and ate some. At least I figured it out before I ate the whole bag :)
41 year old homeschooling mom of 5
ttg iga 88, reference range 0-19 gliadin peptide antibody iga 105, reference range 0-31
endoscopy positive for celiac disease, hiatal hernia, major acid reflux damage

diagnosed with arthritis in my teens, thyroid disease in my 20's, epilepsy in my 20's, adult ADD in my 30's,
suffered from joint pain, migraines, seizures, 4 miscarriages, 2 years infertility, scalp rash, bloating, chronic constipation, acid reflux, weight gain, hashimoto's disease, enlarged thyroid, thyroid nodule, extreme fatigue, low vitamin D, anemia, mouth and nose sores
Started gluten-free diet 10/7/09! Never had another seizure after 10 years of epilepsy. TRUE STORY. 2 babies after going gluten-free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:06 PM

Nestle will clearly label in the ingredient list any source of gluten. What gluten ingredient was in the butterscotch chips that we should watch for?
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Frances03

Frances03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:03 PM

They contain barley.
Here's the ingredients:

INGREDIENTS: SUGAR, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM KERNEL OIL, COCONUT OIL, LACTOSE, WHEY, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS (INCLUDING BARLEY PROTEIN), NON-FAT MILK, BUTTERMILK SOLIDS, SODIUM CASEINATE, SOY LECITHIN-AN EMULSIFIER, SALT, ARTIFICIAL COLORS (YELLOW 5 LAKE, YELLOW 6 LAKE, BLUE 2 LAKE)

and yes I know they clearly label, it was my own mistake, and I never blamed Nestle. I'm just posting this in case someone else should fail to look since most baking chips are gluten-free. These are NOT.
41 year old homeschooling mom of 5
ttg iga 88, reference range 0-19 gliadin peptide antibody iga 105, reference range 0-31
endoscopy positive for celiac disease, hiatal hernia, major acid reflux damage

diagnosed with arthritis in my teens, thyroid disease in my 20's, epilepsy in my 20's, adult ADD in my 30's,
suffered from joint pain, migraines, seizures, 4 miscarriages, 2 years infertility, scalp rash, bloating, chronic constipation, acid reflux, weight gain, hashimoto's disease, enlarged thyroid, thyroid nodule, extreme fatigue, low vitamin D, anemia, mouth and nose sores
Started gluten-free diet 10/7/09! Never had another seizure after 10 years of epilepsy. TRUE STORY. 2 babies after going gluten-free

#4 Rowena

Rowena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:19 PM

oops good thing I aint used my butterscotch chips! I swear I looked it up and it said they were safe on a list of Nestle products... but maybe I misread... Well time to toss those out.... Thanks for the heads up!

Gluten Free since Oct. 1, 2010
Fish/Seafood Free since 1997
Chocolate Free (with a few taste tests to see if I'm just crazy) since 2001.
Officially Dairy free 8/5/2013 (mostly dairy free before that, but I like my cheese and things) (dx'd officially with lactose intolerance, suspect casein too though)
Esophagitis dx'd 8/5/2013 thus doing a diet devoid of acidic foods and stuff

#5 emaegf

emaegf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:37 PM

Hershey's butterscotch chips are gluten free

#6 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:47 PM

Nestle will clearly label in the ingredient list any source of gluten. What gluten ingredient was in the butterscotch chips that we should watch for?

This is not true. I just checked Nestle online (Lean Cuisine). There are two dinners that don't have "wheat" on the list of included allergens (e.g. "Contains: Wheat, Dairy"). So I was going to buy them (Chicken with almonds and a glazed chicken).

But the FAQ page says: "Q. Looking for LEAN CUISINE® products which might be Gluten free. Is there a list of NESTLE® products which are Gluten free? A.Unfortunately, we cannot provide a list of NESTLE® products that are gluten free. Most of our products contain gluten or a derivative of gluten." This was retreived from the website today. Note that it doesn't refer just to Lean Cuisine but to all Nestle products.

So why would they go through the trouble of having an allergen list on the box but then CYA statement on the website? It just annoys the heck out of me.

Down with Nestle.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#7 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:10 PM

There are two things that are relevant here.

When there is a difference between the label on the product you have in your hand and any other source, believe the label on the package you have.

Most manufacturers will not claim "gluten-free" since they do not test. They use practices to clean and take precautions but since they don't test they don't guarantee gluten-free.

"Not gluten free" IS NOT THE SAME AS "contains gluten."
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:08 PM

There are two things that are relevant here.

When there is a difference between the label on the product you have in your hand and any other source, believe the label on the package you have.

Most manufacturers will not claim "gluten-free" since they do not test. They use practices to clean and take precautions but since they don't test they don't guarantee gluten-free.

"Not gluten free" IS NOT THE SAME AS "contains gluten."

Peter, you have good points. My points are: 1) Nestle has the ability to certify gluten-free if it wanted to; 2) I know it MAY be gluten-free or is LIKELY to be gluten-free but that is not something that I care to risk, as being ill causes all sorts of problems (missed work, missed family events not to mention internal damage); 3) I choose to support products that can confirm that they are gluten-free - the CYA statements are disingenuous and unhelpful; 4) random CC and small amounts of gluten add up.

In the case of Lean Cuisine, I would like to have a quick, healthful lunch to keep on hand. The two chicken meals that I could identify have no bread, tortillas, noodles, gravy etc. How hard would it be to make sure that the machinery was clean and the spices not CC'd and put a gluten-free label on two out of 15-20 varieties?

And taken to extreme, all companies could put CYA statements out there (chapstick is another one) and feel like they are being helpful but making life unnecessarily difficult for us.

I appreciate your input and do not want to quarrel with you but I am firm in my opinions.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#9 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:59 AM

In the case of Lean Cuisine, I would like to have a quick, healthful lunch to keep on hand. The two chicken meals that I could identify have no bread, tortillas, noodles, gravy etc. How hard would it be to make sure that the machinery was clean and the spices not CC'd and put a gluten-free label on two out of 15-20 varieties?

I have the iPad app "Is that gluten-free?" it lists Smart Ones frozen meals as having a gluten-free list. It is a Heinz product. Also, Thai Kitchen has some add water and you get noodles. These are usually in the rice section at the grocery and would keep well in your car, pantry or desk at work.

There are some specialty frozen gluten-free meals but they can be $5. I have seen these Smart Ones for 4 for $5 on sale.

http://www.heinz.com...e/products.html This is a nice list of alot of products.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#10 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:54 AM

i ALWAYS mess up the thai kitchen noodle things by putting too much water. I must be thai food challenged. :P

#11 BethJ

BethJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:34 AM

i ALWAYS mess up the thai kitchen noodle things by putting too much water. I must be thai food challenged. :P

We need to work together . . . I never add enough water and end up with a gloppy mess. :D
Beth in Florida

Gluten-free since 7/19/08
Alcohol free since 6/28/10

#12 MelindaLee

MelindaLee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:15 PM

This is not true. I just checked Nestle online (Lean Cuisine). There are two dinners that don't have "wheat" on the list of included allergens (e.g. "Contains: Wheat, Dairy"). So I was going to buy them (Chicken with almonds and a glazed chicken).

But the FAQ page says: "Q. Looking for LEAN CUISINE® products which might be Gluten free. Is there a list of NESTLE® products which are Gluten free? A.Unfortunately, we cannot provide a list of NESTLE® products that are gluten free. Most of our products contain gluten or a derivative of gluten." This was retreived from the website today. Note that it doesn't refer just to Lean Cuisine but to all Nestle products.

So why would they go through the trouble of having an allergen list on the box but then CYA statement on the website? It just annoys the heck out of me.

Down with Nestle.

There are only 2 Lean Cuisine that I found that don't contain something with gluten. Though the Wheat may be distinctly labled, they are not required to distinctly lable barley or rye. I'm not sure I understand your objection. I appreciate companies that list gluten containing ingrediants, even if that means I have to read the list of ingrediants instead of just their "CONTAINS:" statement. Egads...we have some responsibility. :blink:

#13 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:23 PM

In the case of Lean Cuisine, I would like to have a quick, healthful lunch to keep on hand.

I randomly pulled the ingredient list of a lean Cuisine meal. I've highlighted the things in it that make me question your "healthful" definition.

Ingredients:

COOKED CHICKEN TENDERLOINS (CHICKEN TENDERLOINS, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, WATER, CORN OIL, MODIFIED CORNSTARCH, LEMON JUICE CONCENTRATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATES, SALT, CARAMEL COLOR, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, GARLIC, ONION, PAPRIKA, SPICE), WATER, BLANCHED ENRICHED LONG GRAIN PARBOILED RICE (WATER, RICE, IRON, NIACIN, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, FOLIC ACID), GREEN BEANS, MUSHROOMS, ONIONS, 2% OR LESS OF BLANCHED WILD RICE, MODIFIED CORNSTARCH, SUGAR, SALT, CULTURED WHEY, CHICKEN FAT, LEMON JUICE CONCENTRATE, CARAMEL COLOR, DEHYDRATED ONIONS, SPICES, DEHYDRATED GARLIC, PAPRIKA.

Contains: MILK INGREDIENTS

Why not make your own and freeze it? You can leave out the extra fat, salt, and chemicals.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#14 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:22 PM

I have the iPad app "Is that gluten-free?" it lists Smart Ones frozen meals as having a gluten-free list. It is a Heinz product. Also, Thai Kitchen has some add water and you get noodles. These are usually in the rice section at the grocery and would keep well in your car, pantry or desk at work.

There are some specialty frozen gluten-free meals but they can be $5. I have seen these Smart Ones for 4 for $5 on sale.

http://www.heinz.com...e/products.html This is a nice list of alot of products.

Yes, I keep the Thai Kitchen noodles on hand for emergencies. But I have an executive level job and we often order in at short notice. Thai Kitchen noodles are too hard to cook fast and really - without adding shrimp or chicken, veggies and such - aren't a full meal.

But thanks for the Smart Ones list. I'll check it out.

#15 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:24 PM

There are only 2 Lean Cuisine that I found that don't contain something with gluten. Though the Wheat may be distinctly labled, they are not required to distinctly lable barley or rye. I'm not sure I understand your objection. I appreciate companies that list gluten containing ingrediants, even if that means I have to read the list of ingrediants instead of just their "CONTAINS:" statement. Egads...we have some responsibility. :blink:

That is EXACTLY my objection...they are not required to lable barley or rye. Both of those can be hidden easily in spices.

I don't want to argue but you're making it sound like I'm incorrect, and I'm not. It "may" be gluten-free but not guaranteed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: