This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thanksgiving

Juliebove

Juliebove Rising Star

My mom is making dinner this year. I bought her enough gluten-free prepared gravy for all. But is she doing that? No. Ther will be our gravy and theirs. I am getiing sick of other people acting like our food is weird or tainted. We can't eat her mashed potatoes because of the dairy. And they won't eat ours. Daughter told me tonight that she wanted rolls. I hate to buy them because she will only eat one. Of course ours were expired and the store had none. I placed an order through Ener-G. Even though they are in nearby Seattle, I doubt I will get them in time. I could have paid almost $18 to get the order in time. But I opted for the free delivery.

She also told me tonight that she wished she could have stuffing because she loved it. Well she did when it was Stovetop. Oddly everyone else loved the Ener-G stuffing when I made it. She did not. She did love the cornbread stuffing I made when I had the broken cornbread. But I have no cornbread and am not going to make it because she will be the only one to eat the stuffing. I don't like stuffing no matter how it is made! But I will try to make a small amount just for her.

I am making gluten-free pumpkin bread and cranberry muffins. I don't know if anyone will eat it. Supposed to make craberry salad, but may have to wing it. My computer is in the shop and my recipe is on it! Am using daughter's computer to type this.

Does anyone else feel there is too much work involved for one meal? I bought gluten-free cookies. I can't stand to bake anything else.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mizzo Enthusiast

I think this may be our last shared Thanksgiving. We are doing 2 turkeys one with bread stuffing , one without. I am doing all the side vegetables because I need to be sure!!!I I am doing a rice side dish again to be sure and 2 desserts in which I don't know if anyone else will try, but I want my family to have a choice.

This would be fine if I was staying home but I gotta truck it over to my sisters and be on guard all day. We have family in from out of town so I cannot stay home , I don't want to stay home, but YES it's a lot of work for little reward. But Thanksgiving always is.

My family did not change the menu one iota to accommadate our new diagnosis. Also they informed me they are going out to a non gluten free chinese restaurant while the out of towners are here. You know the saying you can't pick your family, these are the times we wish we could. :)

kareng Grand Master

Does anyone else feel there is too much work involved for one meal? I bought gluten-free cookies. I can't stand to bake anything else.

Yes!!! Too much work!!! Its worth it to have the leftovers.

I always get stuck having everyone over before Celiac. My sisters oven hasn't worked in 3 years (convienent huh? our parents gave them money for a new oven 2 years ago). My mom is kinda crippled up but her house is boring to the kids (14, 17,nephews 3 & 7 monthes) Now I just have to make all the food. I don't want to worry about what is on the table and crumbs getting in the food. I don't want a bunch of leftovers I don't feel safe eating because people with crumbs grabbed some carrots or whatever. I am letting my mom make a pumpkin pie and my sis make a chocolate one. I will make a gluten-free one with gingersnap cookie crust. We will clear away all the food before dessert and this should work fine.

My family is always willing to try new desserts. They don't care what is in them. They were kids in the depression and had cookies and cakes made with odd things sometimes.

Good luck all! I will have a little wine and to make things go smoother for me. And maybe a little more! ;)

allie h. Newbie

Have you thought about making some things that your daugther wants but just cutting the reciepe in half? Will she eat leftovers the next day or throughout the rest of the week?

I don't have too much trouble with family understanding my Celiacs as my mom has it as well. However, I do understand that some people are leary of gluten-free food and how it will taste.

I didn't grow up with stuffing even when I didn't have Celiac's we never had it, I honestly don't understand the hype around it. Same with the green bean cassorle thing, I just love regular green beans cooked with a ham hock.

I made cornbread using gluten-free flour and the cornmeal from quaker last night. It was a little dry but I think that would work perfectly for stuffing!

As for deserts we are actually doing a lot this year a pumpkin pie, pecan and chocolate chip pie (derby pie), and apple crisp. The key to gluten-free pies is a good crust! I like gluten-free pantry's mix, my non gluten-free family members say they can't taste the difference.

Juliebove Rising Star

I think this may be our last shared Thanksgiving. We are doing 2 turkeys one with bread stuffing , one without. I am doing all the side vegetables because I need to be sure!!!I I am doing a rice side dish again to be sure and 2 desserts in which I don't know if anyone else will try, but I want my family to have a choice.

This would be fine if I was staying home but I gotta truck it over to my sisters and be on guard all day. We have family in from out of town so I cannot stay home , I don't want to stay home, but YES it's a lot of work for little reward. But Thanksgiving always is.

My family did not change the menu one iota to accommadate our new diagnosis. Also they informed me they are going out to a non gluten free chinese restaurant while the out of towners are here. You know the saying you can't pick your family, these are the times we wish we could. :)

When my daughter was first diagnosed, we did wild rice in lieu of stuffing or potatoes. I was happy with that. Nobody else was. I just get tired of all the dishes on the table. And people who want to know which is the special one? Then there is always that one person who wants to try that special food.

Juliebove Rising Star

Have you thought about making some things that your daugther wants but just cutting the reciepe in half? Will she eat leftovers the next day or throughout the rest of the week?

I don't have too much trouble with family understanding my Celiacs as my mom has it as well. However, I do understand that some people are leary of gluten-free food and how it will taste.

I didn't grow up with stuffing even when I didn't have Celiac's we never had it, I honestly don't understand the hype around it. Same with the green bean cassorle thing, I just love regular green beans cooked with a ham hock.

I made cornbread using gluten-free flour and the cornmeal from quaker last night. It was a little dry but I think that would work perfectly for stuffing!

As for deserts we are actually doing a lot this year a pumpkin pie, pecan and chocolate chip pie (derby pie), and apple crisp. The key to gluten-free pies is a good crust! I like gluten-free pantry's mix, my non gluten-free family members say they can't taste the difference.

The bread and muffins are mixes so I can't really do half. I am going to try to use maybe 4 slices of bread for stuffing. We don't usually do leftovers because we aren't usually given any turkey to take home. My young adult nephew is unemployed so usually gets the leftovers.

Juliebove Rising Star

Thanks to whoever fixed my mistake! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bluejeangirl Contributor

My Menu will be roasted turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes, fresh green beans steamed, cranberry relish, and gluten free pantry's cornbread. I'll serve pumpkin martini's and gluten free pumpkin pie made without milk. Some won't like the pie but they can have another martini. I'm hearing a few complains about no stuffing but I don't care, they can make in their own homes on friday. For the most part people love my cooking and they enjoy the company. I've made gluten free stuffing in the past and it just didn't go over well. When you think about it stuffing is a lot of work and just another thing you have to put in the oven. I'm relieved I have an excuse not to make it. :)

Takala Enthusiast

Uhm, the regular cornmeal from Quaker is not gluten free.

I just searched the Quaker Oats.com site and can't find any reference to the corn meal being as such.

The only reference to gluten free is in the FAQ section re the rice cakes.

Open Original Shared Link

We understand that individuals sensitive to gluten cannot digest even trace amounts of gluten. To date, the Food and Drug Administration has not defined the term "gluten free." Since so many of our products contain grain ingredients and many products are made in the same facility, we cannot guarantee that any particular product is entirely free of gluten.

There are other product lines that have gluten free cornmeal or masa:

Kinnikinnick Open Original Shared Link

Juliebove Rising Star

Uhm, the regular cornmeal from Quaker is not gluten free.

I just searched the Quaker Oats.com site and can't find any reference to the corn meal being as such.

The only reference to gluten free is in the FAQ section re the rice cakes.

There are other product lines that have gluten free cornmeal or masa:

Kinnikinnick Open Original Shared Link

I must have missed where someone posted about Quaker cornmeal.

I use the mix from these people: Open Original Shared Link

They used to sell the bread in sheetes. No eggs in it. My sheet arrived fine, but it broke due to a fall. Made good stuffing, but I won't be using that now. Just Ener-G bread.

Currently we are snowed in. Parents did not buy groceries so we may not be going there after all. They ate oatmeal for dinner and started in on the cheese they bought for Thanksgiving. They dine out a lot and keep little food in the house. I warned them of the impending snow but they paid no heed!

Just in case, I bought a turkey breast. No dessert for hubby though.

missy'smom Collaborator

The bread and muffins are mixes so I can't really do half.

Call me crazy but I have made half the mix many times for DS. I take the mix out. Set out two bowls or ziplocks and whatever size measuring cup/spoon seems appropriate and measure one cup mix into one, one cup into the other and so forth, choosing the next size smaller cup or spoon as appropriate until I've gone through the mix and evenly divided it in half. Works epecially well with something with 2 or more eggs. If I need a half egg, I just beat the whole one and measure out or guestimate a half. You can look online for the exact measurement of half an egg-how many Tablespoons. Make sure to keep the original packaging so that you'll know how much of the other ingredients to add to that other half mix when you go to make it.

sa1937 Community Regular

Call me crazy but I have made half the mix many times for DS. I take the mix out. Set out two bowls or ziplocks and whatever size measuring cup/spoon seems appropriate and measure one cup mix into one, one cup into the other and so forth, choosing the next size smaller cup or spoon as appropriate until I've gone through the mix and evenly divided it in half. Works epecially well with something with 2 or more eggs. If I need a half egg, I just beat the whole one and measure out or guestimate a half. You can look online for the exact measurement of half an egg-how many Tablespoons. Make sure to keep the original packaging so that you'll know how much of the other ingredients to add to that other half mix when you go to make it.

Another thing that works well to measure half a batch of something is a digital postal scale if you have one. I've done that with a dry soup mix that made a lot and measured it into ZipLoc bags. Works great.

I also use a small measuring glass made by Anchor that has measurements in tsp., tbsp, oz. and ml. It holds just over 1/2 cup so is great for measuring messy liquid things like oil, honey, syrup, etc. Cost $1.50 at my local Wal-Mart. I keep a couple of them in my kitchen and wonder how I got along for so many years without them.

Juliebove Rising Star

We can't use eggs. I don't know how I would do half a loaf of bread though.

Juliebove Rising Star

Another thing that works well to measure half a batch of something is a digital postal scale if you have one. I've done that with a dry soup mix that made a lot and measured it into ZipLoc bags. Works great.

I also use a small measuring glass made by Anchor that has measurements in tsp., tbsp, oz. and ml. It holds just over 1/2 cup so is great for measuring messy liquid things like oil, honey, syrup, etc. Cost $1.50 at my local Wal-Mart. I keep a couple of them in my kitchen and wonder how I got along for so many years without them.

I did do that with some kind of pizza crust that made two.

missy'smom Collaborator

Julie, I did remember that you can't have eggs when I posted, I was just in example mode and too lazy to adapt instructions for egg replacers;)

Depending on what you want to use the bread for, I think 1-2 mini loaf pans would work. Just shave off some baking time.

Juliebove Rising Star

Julie, I did remember that you can't have eggs when I posted, I was just in example mode and too lazy to adapt instructions for egg replacers;)

Depending on what you want to use the bread for, I think 1-2 mini loaf pans would work. Just shave off some baking time.

It will be eaten as bread. I don't have mini loaf pans. I mostly bake in foil pans now and bought full sized. We're snowed in so can't get other pans.

freeatlast Collaborator

I understand completely :) The last time I visited my mother, who knows I've eaten gluten-free for years, she offered me a snack: first, whole wheat Triscuits, then saltines, then said we'd go to a fast food place and get a biscuit (???? I've never been there, never plan to go, and don't even eat biscuits), then brought out an avocado which I happily accepted. No, she's not stupid. She was a straight A student in school--just chooses to ignore my dietary regimen.

When I read posts by people who come on here and ask for recipes so they can make something a guest or relative will be able to eat, I'm so happy for the recipient of that kindness :)

freeatlast Collaborator

I understand completely :) The last time I visited my mother, who knows I've eaten gluten-free for years, she offered me a snack: first, whole wheat Triscuits, then saltines, then said we'd go to a fast food place and get a biscuit (???? I've never been there, never plan to go, and don't even eat biscuits), then brought out an avocado which I happily accepted. No, she's not stupid. She was a straight A student in school--just chooses to ignore my dietary regimen.

When I read posts by people who come on here and ask for recipes so they can make something a guest or relative will be able to eat, I'm so happy for the recipient of that kindness :)

I had to come back on and add: my friend just called and asked if I like gluten-free brownies. She's going to bake them for me/everyone for Thanksgiving tomorrow at her house :)My family lives in another state, but I can just imagine what that would be like on Thanksgiving trying to eat with my mom, lol. My prayers go out to anyone in a similar situation. No, we can't choose our families, but thankfully I have wonderful friends! Hopefully all of you do as well.

kareng Grand Master

It will be eaten as bread. I don't have mini loaf pans. I mostly bake in foil pans now and bought full sized. We're snowed in so can't get other pans.

I made a bread recipe and only had the foil pans which were 8x4 and the recipe wanted 9x 5 or something like that. I decided it was too much dough for the foil pan so I made 2 cupcakes with the rest of the dough. Cooked faster but came out the same as the bread. Didn't really like the recipe so I toasted it all in the oven with olive oil then added some cheese to melt.

Waiting until Fri sounds like a smart plan. :)

missy'smom Collaborator

Baking bread dough in muffin tins works well, after all, many rolls are the same as bread dough. Many of the mixes have instructions for doing so on them. No instructions needed though. Again, just shave of time.

Juliebove Rising Star

Baking bread dough in muffin tins works well, after all, many rolls are the same as bread dough. Many of the mixes have instructions for doing so on them. No instructions needed though. Again, just shave of time.

i do that with zuchinni bread. But I don't really want pumpkin muffins.

Archived