This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blue Diamond Almond Milk

frenchiemama

frenchiemama Collaborator

Does anyone know if this is gluten-free? If not, what brand do you like?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf4life Enthusiast

It is gluten-free. This was our main milk substitute when we were dairy free for over a year. The chocolate is wonderful. Very smooth, rich and creamy. My kids still love it. The plain is alright for cereal and baking. It does leave a slight almond aftertaste with some rice based baked goods. The vanilla tastes nasty though, don't waste your money on that flavor. In fact I haven't seen it in a long time, so maybe they stopped making it.

We tried the Pacific brand almond milk and didn't like it as much.

God bless,

Mariann

Thanks! I want to try the chocolate, but I didn't want to get it right away in case it was gross.

gf4life Enthusiast

It is really good. My oldest has a best friend who loves it so much that my son wants to buy him a case of it for his birthday present! :lol: When I would send my son over to his house I would have to send 2 boxes of it. One for my son and one for his friend (who would usually end up finishing off both!). My kids were easily going through a box a day between the three of them. I was wishing it came in gallon sizes, since they love it so much.

It is also really high in calcium, so if you aren't having dairy it is a good replacement. It is like 20% of the RDA per serving.

God bless,

Mariann

MMM! I just tried it (the plain), and it really is a lot better than the Pacific. I was buying Pacific because it was labelled gluten-free, but the store I went to last night didn't have it. Now I'm glad!

skbird Contributor

For the adventuresome folks who don't need exact recipes - I learned once how to make almond milk. I think the recipe was 1 cup raw almonds, 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut (shredded), 2 cups boiling water and 1 tsp vanilla (or to taste). Put the almonds, coconut and some of the water in a blender or food processor and mix, carefully (because that hot water will want to get out!) and continue to add water as much as you can in the blender. Keep blending. You can pour it into another container to cool and then strain to make the milk, adding the vanilla. Then you can use the leftover pulp in a muffin recipe or some such thing. Really tasty!

Stephanie

Emme999 Enthusiast

I like the Pacific vanilla flavor. I'm not a big fan of the Blue Diamond almond milk - too frothy! But - to each his own I guess :)

It has been a long time though... years since I tasted the Blue Diamond stuff... maybe it's better now ?

Skbirds recipe looks tasty though!!! :9 Maybe someday I'll pretend that I'm good in the kitchen.. ;)

Have a beautiful day everyone!

- Michelle :wub:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I tried the chocolate flavor today, really good! Yummy!

That recipe sounds really good too, unfortunately I'm probably too lazy to ever try it. Who knows though, inspiration might strike when I least expect it.

Archived