This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Oats At A Gluten Free Bakery

tbritt

tbritt Rookie

A designated gluten free kitchen and bakery have opened in my town. I was so excited because I can't seem to eat anywhere and trust that the food is safe. I was given a gift of some beautiful granola from the place and as I went to grab my first handful, I realized that it had oats in it.

I have had the Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free oats in the past and they caused a flare up so bad that my neck and shoulder were immobilized again from the pain. They also gave me gas and bloating and other stomach issues. That was the only thing I changed. I am convinced it was from the oats.

I don't think it's fair that they are deciding that their bakery is gluten free and they don't even realize some people are sensitive to oats, too. I have had cookies there and had horrible stomach pains from them.

Since being gluten free, I have gotten my life back. There is no way I would risk it for a cookie if I had known they had oats in them.

I think this is irresponsible, but maybe just on my part. Please watch where you go and what you eat. Even well-meaning people can cause you harm.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

killernj13 Enthusiast

Did you ask them about it?

There are some oats that are certified to be gluten free. So in their minds they are gluten free.

kareng Grand Master

Most people don't react to oats so using gluten-free oats is OK. Some people react to soy, eggs or dairy. The bakery can't cater to everyone. They should be able to tell you if the item has oats so you can choose to eat it or not.

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

If the bakery is advertised as gluten free, they are more than likely using gluten free oats as well. Not all people with a gluten intolerance also react to oats, as the previous poster said, and it's a little unreasonable, in my opinion, to expect every gluten free bakery to also exclude oats, since most of us *can* have them. I'm sorry you got sick, but I wouldn't blame the bakery :)

Roda Rising Star

I know it sucks, but it's not the bakery's fault. I don't tolerate certified gluten free oats either.

tbritt Rookie

Did you ask them about it?

There are some oats that are certified to be gluten free. So in their minds they are gluten free.

I talked to them about it and they didn't realize that some people don't tolerate oats. I told them they should at least label their ingredients on items so people could decide for themselves.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I am sensitive to oats just as badly as wheat. The Bob's Red Mill products including their oats are processed in the same gluten free facility, so all their gluten free stuff is processed in the same facility as oats and is off limits to me. Oats are touted as a good grain substitute for celiacs so a lot of gluten free providers use oats. That makes all that gluten free food off limits for people like me. Too bad, but I can understand how it is the majority who gets catered to.

Edited to try to clarify and not cause more confusion like I caused sa1937. Sorry.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

I thought Bob's Red Mill gluten free products were made in a dedicated facility and were batch tested. Can someone please correct me if I'm just dreaming it, am confused or just plain mistaken???

jerseyangel Proficient

I thought Bob's Red Mill gluten free products were made in a dedicated facility and were batch tested. Can someone please correct me if I'm just dreaming it, am confused or just plain mistaken???

You are right, they are. The caveat is that they process certified gluten-free oats there too--so technically their gluten-free products are gluten-free, but the 20% or so of us who are also sensitive to oats may not be able to tolerate the products due to cross contamination from the oats.

I fall into that category too, and for a long time didn't realize that this is why I've not been able to use Bob's products.

sa1937 Community Regular

You are right, they are. The caveat is that they process certified gluten-free oats there too--so technically their gluten-free products are gluten-free, but the 20% or so of us who are also sensitive to oats may not be able to tolerate the products due to cross contamination from the oats.

I fall into that category too, and for a long time didn't realize that this is why I've not been able to use Bob's products.

Thanks for the clarification, Patti! I recently bought a package of BRM gluten free oats but haven't tried it yet. I need to wait until after Thanksgiving and then also make sure I have a few days where I don't have to go anywhere just in case I do react. I really do miss oatmeal and haven't had it since going gluten free on April 9.

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks for the clarification, Patti! I recently bought a package of BRM gluten free oats but haven't tried it yet. I need to wait until after Thanksgiving and then also make sure I have a few days where I don't have to go anywhere just in case I do react. I really do miss oatmeal and haven't had it since going gluten free on April 9.

You're welcome, and good luck with the oats! I miss them too :D

tarnalberry Community Regular

I don't think it's fair to insist that a bakery eliminate an ingredient that makes a big difference improving the quality of goods for 10% of their potential client base. Heck, it's not even good business sense. But it's good that you let them know, so that they can make sure to label their food properly so that people can make a decision. (ALWAYS suspect granola, gluten free in particular, since oats are a major component of granola. Read the label and LOOK first.)

MelindaLee Contributor

I have the gluten-free oats and Udi's gluten-free granola. I did learn that I cannot eat it too many days in a row, though.I think I had some everyday for about a week. I reacted, but not in the same way I do if glutened. A couple days off the oats, I was fine, and have had some every couple days with no problems.

Takala Enthusiast

I agree they should at least have a sign up saying they use oats in some products, and have said products labeled as such in the display case and on the package label.

ohsotired Enthusiast

A designated gluten free kitchen and bakery have opened in my town. I was so excited because I can't seem to eat anywhere and trust that the food is safe. I was given a gift of some beautiful granola from the place and as I went to grab my first handful, I realized that it had oats in it.

I have had the Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free oats in the past and they caused a flare up so bad that my neck and shoulder were immobilized again from the pain. They also gave me gas and bloating and other stomach issues. That was the only thing I changed. I am convinced it was from the oats.

I don't think it's fair that they are deciding that their bakery is gluten free and they don't even realize some people are sensitive to oats, too. I have had cookies there and had horrible stomach pains from them.

Since being gluten free, I have gotten my life back. There is no way I would risk it for a cookie if I had known they had oats in them.

I think this is irresponsible, but maybe just on my part. Please watch where you go and what you eat. Even well-meaning people can cause you harm.

I am so sorry that you are ill, but I do want to point something out here.

YOU need to take personal responsibility also. You said in your post that BRM gluten-free Oats have made you ill in the past, so common sense would say that you should take the time to ask for a list of ingredients before eating anything, or take the risk and possibly have a reaction.

If this bakery is catering to a gluten free crowd, I would bet that they would be perfectly happy to provide you with an ingredient list so that you can make an informed decision.

I understand about being excited about trying a new place or product, but if you get so excited that you forget to ask about ingredients, then it's not fair to blame the bakery.

The reminder to be careful is a good one, but personal responsibility has to come in to play here.

I hope you recover soon. It sucks to be sick from your food. :(

Archived