Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Does Anyone Get Upper Back Spasms When Glutened?

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 Celiac15

Celiac15

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:22 PM

Hey there -
I am new to this site and it is so helpful. For years, I get upper back spasms when I am glutened and it lasts for about a week. It is so strange considering nobody else seems to have these symptoms. Of course, I get the headache, stomach bloating etc...but its the upper back spasms that are sometimes unbearable and make me so irritable. I use heat, ice, bengay, advil.
If anyone has this symptom, have you found anything that really works to alieve the symptoms? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Cypressmyst

Cypressmyst

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:00 AM

I get all over back spasms. In fact its funny that you should ask because I'm having them now. <_<

Got glutened by soap that was mislabeled at a friends house tonight. Didn't eat anything or touch my mouth afterwards but I've got all the symptoms now, achy back spasms, foggy brain, headaches, cold hands. :( Within minutes of washing them too.

But you know...gluten can't get through the skin or anything... :rolleyes:

I've found that eating an apple sometimes helps alleviate some of the symptoms. Apples are detoxing fruits.
Grain Free
Casein Free
Soy Free
Refined Sugar Free
Preservative Free
Free Range
Free Willy
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose...

...dang...there goes chocolate... :bawl:

#3 lcarter

lcarter

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:09 AM

Yes, I get spasms too, but more in the mid back area and usually after the bloating and diarrhea have subsided some. Interesting!
Gluten + Dairy + Fructose Intolerant, Osteoporosis, Hasi's/ Hypothyroid, Sjogren's, Migraine Deviate with Visual Aura, Peripheral Neuropathy, DQ2 and DQ8 negative [Prometheus Labs]

#4 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:46 AM

I get them too. What helps me is to keep my back really strong with exercise. Also to keep it well supported by strong stomach muscles, also exercise, and limber, stretching exercises. I get lazy and stop doing all that and then go back to the back problems when glutened.

#5 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:12 PM

and here I thought I was nuts! I get mid back pain so bad when glutened. That was one of my big 3 glutened symptoms.

#6 Lesx2

Lesx2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:40 PM

and here I thought I was nuts! I get mid back pain so bad when glutened. That was one of my big 3 glutened symptoms.

lower back for me... Massage, lots of water, and heating pad help me

#7 twe0708

twe0708

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:21 AM

Hey there -
I am new to this site and it is so helpful. For years, I get upper back spasms when I am glutened and it lasts for about a week. It is so strange considering nobody else seems to have these symptoms. Of course, I get the headache, stomach bloating etc...but its the upper back spasms that are sometimes unbearable and make me so irritable. I use heat, ice, bengay, advil.
If anyone has this symptom, have you found anything that really works to alieve the symptoms? Thanks!

Not now but I used to before I went gluten-free.

#8 Nadia2009

Nadia2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:24 PM

I get muscle spasms too and mostly in the back. I used to wonder what it was when I was still eating gluten. My mom has a lot of spasm like that but she isn't excited to go for the test. I think I will end up paying the test for my whole family if I want them tested :)
May 2009: IgG abnormal (not tested for full panel)
Sept 2009: Negative blood tests (I was on and off gluten)
Sept 21 2009: gluten free
Sept 21 2011: gluten free for 2 full years
Dec 2012: chronic fatigue and leaky gut.
Feb 2012: IgG reactions to almond, amaranth, sesame, sunflower, dairy, eggs, beans and of course gluten.
March 2012: modified GAPS diet.

#9 diva2000

diva2000

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

I had this happen to me really bad this week. I was getting back spasms for 3 days when I thought about taking an allergy pill. Just store brand chloriphenirine maleate, and it started relieving the spasms. I took it every 4 hours, and it got better and better. When I would forget, the back spasms would start up. After about 3 days of the allergy meds, it is getting to the point where I don't get the spasms when I forget a pill. Saved me big time! I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: