3 replies to this topic

#1 DownWithGluten

DownWithGluten

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:17 PM

FDA approved gluten free but might have like .0001% of gluten in it, or something. I'm on the fence on whether to drink or not. Anyone tried/used it?
Gluten-free since January, 2007

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:41 PM

The FDA have not yet decided what "gluten-free" means. So, there are no "FDA Approved" labels at this time.

This topic may be of help.

The FDA are leaning toward 20 parts per million (ppm), which is 0.002%.

0.0001% is 1 ppm. There is no test in this world that can provide that detection level. The best available (expensive) test can detect 5 ppm (0.0005%).

Glutino is a widely respected and trusted maker of gluten-free products. They are all made in gluten-free facilities. Nevertheless, they realize that contamination can occur at any point on the supply chain, so they test their products, using a test with a sensitivity of 20 ppm. A bad batch could slip through with as much as 19 ppm. Am I afraid to use their products? NO.

Make your own decision, but base it on facts, please.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 DownWithGluten

DownWithGluten

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:36 PM

The "facts" were second-hand given to me by someone who called about this...the person on the phone DID say "FDA approved as gluten free" ... and I said ".0001 or something" b/c I wasn't exactly sure what it was nor was the person relaying the info to me. The main gist was that the customer service rep said it's FDA approved level of gluten free.

So...I was just wondering if people here have tried it or not and what happened if they did.
Gluten-free since January, 2007

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:00 PM

The person on the phone who said "FDA approved as gluten-free" was either misinformed, or was lying.

I have not tried it, but if they think that it is less than 1 ppm, they are both (a) unable to prove that, and (b) highly confident that it is safe. I would accept it as safe to consume.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: