Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Flours That Can Be Purchased At Asian Or Oriental Grocery Stores

10 posts in this topic

Last week, I bought rice flour, sweet rice flour, and saw sorghum there. Did not see teff, brown rice, or any other kind.

Are those the only three flours that everyone else is able to buy where you live? The girl who could speak the most English told me if there is anything else I want to let her know and she would get it from the manufacturers. Nice!

Also, she knew I was a gluten-free person so she suggested gluten-free soy sauce and I bought that. It was something like $2.65 for a quart or something. Much better than I would have done at a health food store.

Ads by Google:

Tapioca is usually available there too. I have had no problem with Flying Horse brand for any of these flours. Much cheaper, isn't it?

I can get tapioca, and ground almond too. In fact, my local Asian market has just set up a gluten free aisle and is now carrying pasta and lots of other stuff too. Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon :) Of course, lots of folks like me shop at the the Asian market.

I find rice flour can be gritty. I found that my local oriental grocer carries rice powder. I use the rice powder in place of rice flour in some of my flour blends. It is not gritty at all.

I can get tapioca, and ground almond too. In fact, my local Asian market has just set up a gluten free aisle and is now carrying pasta and lots of other stuff too. Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon :) Of course, lots of folks like me shop at the the Asian market.

Good to know. Thanks!

I find rice flour can be gritty. I found that my local oriental grocer carries rice powder. I use the rice powder in place of rice flour in some of my flour blends. It is not gritty at all.

The rice flour I bought at the Asian mkt was smooth as silk, but it does say in English "Rice Flour" (the only English words on the bag).

Tapioca is usually available there too. I have had no problem with Flying Horse brand for any of these flours. Much cheaper, isn't it?

I will look for that brand next time I go. Thanks.

Mochiko brand was recommended by someone on this board and I bought that brand sweet rice flour. It tasted and worked GREAT in gluten-free Girl's Irish Soda Bread.

Sweet Potato Flour is another flour I forgot to mention that I saw there. Wonder what recipes would call for that?

Sweet Potato Flour is another flour I forgot to mention that I saw there. Wonder what recipes would call for that?

See the posts from RiceGuy - he uses it all the time. I have never even seen it. My market carries the rice powder too - I thought I would try that next time.

See the posts from RiceGuy - he uses it all the time. I have never even seen it. My market carries the rice powder too - I thought I would try that next time.

THANKS! I did a search and never did find a definitive bread recipe that he posted.

I find Potato Starch at our local asian markets along with tapioca starch (flour) and white rice flour along with sweet rice.

At our local Indian Market I am able to buy sorguhm and teff flour- all much much cheaper.