#1 gabby

gabby

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:40 AM

Hi,

I've been gluten-free for several years now, but over the last few months, I haven't been feeling that great, and I think I've been getting small amounts of gluten in my diet. I'm going to get a full workup done at the doctor's office and wanted to know what tests I can request to see if I've been getting gluten in my system. And what tests would show things like malabsorption, inflammation, etc.

Thanks for your help!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sahm-i-am

sahm-i-am

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:27 PM

I would think they would run the Celiac Panel (4 bloodwork tests) to determine if any antibodies are being made. The usually run them once or twice a year. If they are high you are still getting gluten in you somehow. My GI recommended an upper GI w/in a year of diagnosis (I've only been gluten-free for 7 months) to see how healing is going. Not sure about follow ups. I would think once a year for a few then maybe every other?
Diagnosed with Lymphoma March 2010. After surgery doctors said "Oops!"
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2010. After endoscopy doc said "Aren't you glad?"
Uhhh.....yeah!
DD #1 ('99) tested negative on bloodwork but positive on 2 genetic markers. Went gluten free in July 2010 and has been symptom-free ever since!
DD #2 ('98) tested negative and has no symptoms. Didn't fork out money for genetic testing. Will watch and test regularly.
Husband tested positive in July 2010 and has refused to go gluten free. Uh huh, that's gonna bite him in the a** one day! (Pun intended!)

#3 plumbago

plumbago

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:24 PM

Dangerous Grains says that the EMA Test , Endomysium Antibody, is recommended: "The development of the endomysium antibody test resulted from recognition that antibodies against this tissue are present in more than 90 percent of celiacs who are consuming gluten, yet the disappear quite rapidly after excluding gluten." This would seem to be therefore a good test to measure recent ingestion of gluten. The others measure how much you've been getting over the past six months at least.

#4 gabby

gabby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 03:09 AM

Thanks for the quick replies! I'm going to go tomorrow and find out when they can do the tests...and I'll see what comes up.

Fingers crossed that I haven't been getting glutened all this time ....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: