32 replies to this topic

#1 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:29 AM

I was thinking if we post a thread about how we did this Thanksgiving people can print it out and save for next year.

I did NOT get glutened!!! Yay

Mom left the stuffing out of the turkey.
I brought Pacific Foods gluten free mushroom soup for green bean cassserole and we left the fried onions out because they have gluten.
I ate her mashed potatoes and brought my own gravy.
I also ate her cranberry ambrosia.

My 6 year old and I both have celiac so I made some desserts so he wouldn't feel left out. I made peanut butter truffles, the Libby's pumpkin roll but I subbed gluten free flour of course, and I made pumpkin pie with no crust. I brought a cooler and it was great.

Everyone LOVED my gluten free desserts!

So on my plate was salad, green bean casserole, turkey, mashed potatoes, my own gravy, cranberries and cranberry ambrosia.

Her sweet potatoes have a crumble topping with flour and I had no time to make my own, so no sweet potatoes for me. I'm making them today instead!
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 rdunbar

rdunbar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:40 AM

theres a traditional "Turkey day" mountain bike ride where i live.
it's a great way to stimulate a good appetite!
It was nice riding with friends, and giving thanks!

since i'm on a super strict meat, veggies, and (less, and less) fruit only diet, and no grains, and nothing processed, everyday is Thanksgiving for me minus the stuffing!

Just think, Thanksgiving for a lot of Americans is the one day that they take a break from junkfood for dinner!

#3 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:32 AM

I'm lucky--we always celebrate Thanksgiving at my mom's house, and she has celiac, too. Since my son, mother, and I all have celiac, people are respectful of the menu, but, as we all know, it's easy to prepare gluten-free food so that it is identical to regular food. My mom had bought stuffing mix and baguettes from Mariposa Bakery (which only sells gluten-free), so she was able to stuff the turkey and offer brie and bread before dinner. The stuffing was GREAT, and the relatives without celiac liked it, too. We also had mashed potatoes, a yam-and-sweet-potato dish, a string bean dish, and various cranberry sauces. It was such a relaxing Thanksgiving not having to worry about contamination. In years past, my mom tried to appease the non-celiacs by making regular bread stuffing, but she wouldn't stuff the turkey with it. Since this was cause for sadness in some folks, it was great that my mom was able to make a gluten-free version this year and make everyone happy.

#4 sahm-i-am

sahm-i-am

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:14 PM

I cooked my own Thanksgiving Feast, Celiac style and the only thing someone else made was my grandmother who wanted to make the stuffing for just me and my daughter. Fine, I said. She said she bought gluten free bread and has always been careful in the past. Lesson learned - she made it with Spelt Bread! :blink: My daughter didn't eat any since she doesn't like stuffing and since I don't have symptoms I didn't have a reaction, except for the damage done on the inside :( But, everything tasted good and nobody noticed me bringing in extra plates filled with food (except the hostesses) and it gave me encouragement for Christmas, or any other event.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
Diagnosed with Lymphoma March 2010. After surgery doctors said "Oops!"
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2010. After endoscopy doc said "Aren't you glad?"
Uhhh.....yeah!
DD #1 ('99) tested negative on bloodwork but positive on 2 genetic markers. Went gluten free in July 2010 and has been symptom-free ever since!
DD #2 ('98) tested negative and has no symptoms. Didn't fork out money for genetic testing. Will watch and test regularly.
Husband tested positive in July 2010 and has refused to go gluten free. Uh huh, that's gonna bite him in the a** one day! (Pun intended!)

#5 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:22 PM

Even though this was my 4TH? year gluten-free, I am thankful that we made it through and enjoyed. After a year of battling dozens of food allergies, many years of bringing my own to other's festivities, kiddo and I both were not up to joining others so we stayed home, some family came and we enjoyed an allergen-free dinner with everyone being able to eat everything on the table and not feeling left out. Yay!

Besides gluten-free, our main menu was corn-free and nut-free.

Herb roasted turkey breasts
cranberry sauce
stuffing with apple
steamed green beans
mashed potatoes
Imagine turkey gravy

For dessert
apple pear crisp with oat topping with maple syrup sweetened whipped cream
creme brulee
cherry wine
sparkling apple pomegranate juice

For myself(low-carb, cow's milk dairy and soy-free and many others free)
I passed on the stuffing
instead of potatoes-Mashed "faux"tatoes-califlower, no gravy, just gaot's milk butter
herb butter for turkey was made with goat's milk butter
stevia sweetened cranberry sauce
dessert-baked custard using goat's milk and stevia
passed on the cherry wine and sparkling cider
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#6 Mama Melissa

Mama Melissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:24 PM

I made it threw my first gluten free thanksgiving:) my moms cooked everything for me a non stuffed turkey and gravy made with cornstarch which was amazing:) cranberry sauce my grandmother homemade stuffing which consists of potatoes,bacon,onions,peppers,eggs and our course she left out the breadcrumbs i should try gluten-free breadcrumbs next yr:) also greenbeans and mashed potatos it was alll soo yummy i wish thanksgiving was every day:)Oh and btw i made a gluten-free free punpkin pie for dessert the premade gluten-free crust tasted just like the reg flour made ones:)
Melissa
9/10 Diagnosed celiac via bloodwork/endo
9/10 Gluten free

#7 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,679 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:35 PM

My Thanksgiving was peaceful, too peaceful with the kids, well young adults really, in another state and unable to come home. I had a great dinner though.
I made a chicken and used Grainless Baker stuffing mix to stuff it. Since I really love stuffing and have missed it greatly I was really pleased how good the gluten-free stuffing tasted. I also made mashed potatoes and used some of the green beans I had frozen from the garden. Of course I had to add cranberry sauce and made my Mom's 'famous' deviled eggs and today will be the last day for my favorite part, the leftovers. I plan to run to the store tommorrow and get a couple more boxes of the stuffing mix just in case the store makes it a 'seasonal' item. All in all it was a great day and I was a lazy loaf and never even got dressed. I just spent the day doing my favorite things, feeling decadent in my comfy robe and eating good food and chocolate until I thought I would burst. I have a lot to be thankful for, not the least being my gluten free lifestyle and it's resulting good health.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#8 Wolicki

Wolicki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:40 PM

This was my second gluten free Thanksgiving. Last year was low key. This year was a party! 15 people over, including our kids, friends of the kids and parents and my BF's ex wife! It was great and we all had a good time.
Roasted turkey
mashed potatoes
Gravy made with Sorghum flour
Southern dressing made with Bob's gluten-free cornbread and Udis
Green beans cooked in bacon
Candied yams
Spinach salad
gluten-free Bisquick biscuits
Cranberry sauce
Pumpkin pies with Mothers Market gluten-free pie crusts
eggnog
And lots of wine.

Wonderful food, and no one knew it was gluten free :D
Gluten free is not so bad! If you are new, hang it there, it gets easier!

#9 GuyC

GuyC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:57 PM

I did well thanks to my wife. She made gluten-free pumpkin pie. The crust was perfect!
-Guy

gluten-free since 10/27/2010

#10 SheaLynne

SheaLynne

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:19 PM

I was so happy to make it through w/o being glutened :D

My mil is "on board" with helping me watch for hidden ingredients, and she planned most of the meal, though it was moved to my sil's house and less was in our control. I enjoyed turkey (dressing was made separately, and I skipped it), mashed potatoes w/o gravy, steamed green beans, collard greens, salad, fruit salad (I brought), a gluten-free biscuit I brought (I made regular rolls for everyone else *after* I made my gluten-free food!), gluten-free snickerdoodles (cookies) which *everyone* loved, and a mini gluten-free apple pie just for me :P I also took a regular apple pie for everyone else to enjoy.

I think my gluten-free contributions were enough of a hit that next time I'll bring gluten-free for everyone rather than try to make one for them and one for me.

And I enjoyed a splurge of coconut milk ice cream with gluten-free cookie dough in it...ahhhh, that was a treat!!

#11 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:55 PM

Basically, an aunt who was really good about cleaning up after the rolls and stuffing and they did the pies before I arrived. I made the vegetables, and required that I have my own "clean" butter for everything I ate.

My dinner:

Roasted turkey (no stuffing, dressing baked separately for others)
Steamed brussels sprouts
Roasted cauliflower
Mashed potato/turnip blend
Cornbread with cranberries
Relishes (carrot sticks, celery sticks, olives)
Apple crisp
Pumpkin bar

Now, I've never been much of a stuffing person and I hate gravy so there was no need to replace them. The only things I missed were the rolls and the apple pie, and the crisp was a reasonable substitute. None of the replacement breads come close top matching the rolls, but cornbread was fine.

Faint hint of malabsorption today, so I may have had a little too much airborne flour exposure on my food, but I was out of the kitchen during those times.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#12 Judy3

Judy3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:02 PM

This was my first holiday gluten free and it was pretty successful for me too. A few minor mishaps. My son and I cooked at our house and took it to my Mother's because she can't do the stairs here. I made regular stuffing and rolls for my family and skipped them myself (learned I have to wear gloves next time I knead their bread dough though as all my fingers around the cuticle were cut and bleeding when I was done (they weren't there before, that's just weird!) I tried to make some gluten free stuffing for myself with Udi's bread (dried it with sage and onion) but it was not a good texture for me so I may have to rethink that for next year but the rest was wonderful.

We had roasted turkey breast, broccoli, sweet potatoes, squash, cranberries, mashed potatoes, gluten free gravy (potato starch), and for dessert my Mom made Schaum Torte. It's baked meringue rings with ice cream and strawberries and whipped cream. Mmmm She made them so I could have dessert... gotta love her 81 year old self!! It's like eating strawberry shortcake with out the biscuit because the meringue rings are crunchy!!

So despite the fingers being sore and the gluten free stuffing being weird for my first Holiday it was pretty good.

I don't know who put the flourless peanut butter cookie recipe out her last week but I made them today and OMG they are soooo good I want to eat them all... LOL

It seems like everyone had a nice Thanksgiving and that's the best thing!
*Judy

Food allergies to fish, seafood, tree nuts, aspartame(Equal),flax seed, and many drugs
Stomach issues since childhood
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) age 6-44
Diabetes age 44 to present now going back to Hypoglycemia since gluten free.
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2005 and it's gone now that I'm aspartame and gluten free. Hmmm
Celiac disease- negative test in 2009, positive tests in Nov. 2010
Gluten free started 11/08/2010
Genetic tests positive- DQ2, positive -DQ6 (?) negative- DQ8 11/15/2010

#13 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:19 PM

My Thanksgiving went really well! I made a lot of the side dishes and my mom made the turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, and deviled eggs. My sides were a sweet potato and cranberry casserole, cranberry sauce, Chebe rolls, and wild rice, sausage, and apple stuffing. For dessert I made pumpkin struesel cheesecake bars and Impossibly easy coconut pie from the Live Gluten Freely website. I also made homemade eggnog ice cream. I wrote about it in my blog which is listed in my profile. Even the gluten eaters were happy! :)

#14 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:22 PM

We brought some of our own food but the desserts that I made were not good. Daughter had some boxed chocolate chip cookies. She ate some and left some there for tomorrow when we are celebrating my SIL's birthday.

#15 i-geek

i-geek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:53 PM

I survived!

My parents hosted dinner for the four of us (mom and dad, my husband and I). I provided gluten-free bread (one loaf of my own recipe, one loaf of Gluten-Free Pantry French bread mix) for the stuffing and Mom stuffed it in a fresh turkey from a local poultry shop. Gravy was from scratch: pan drippings and cornstarch. She opened a fresh pack of butter for mashed potatoes and buttered green beans with mushrooms (to replace the usual green bean casserole). I brought a sweet potato casserole, fresh cranberry-orange relish, and for dessert, a pumpkin cheesecake with gluten-free gingersnap crust (Mi-Del gingersnaps are SO good).

The food was awesome and we all agreed that the gluten-free bread made better stuffing. LOVE Thanksgiving dinner. Still loving the leftovers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: