This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

At Least They're Making The Effort

srfjeld

srfjeld Apprentice

It seems that each time I go out to eat I find out more and more people are making the effort to please their gluten-free customers, however, they're just not quite getting the whole picture.

A couple weeks ago I went out to breakfast and when I told the server I am a Celiac he said they had gluten-free toast now. I was so excited and actually thought about ordering eggs Benedict when my loving boyfriend pointed out they may not have a dedicated toaster. Sure enough, upon asking, they didn't.... so, it's not exactly gluten-free toast. I suggested they purchase a cheap toaster to keep separate. We'll see.

Then, I went out to a little coffee shop with a friend and she learned they had gluten-free bagels, Udi's no less! She was so excited, though she's not a Celiac, that she ordered one with cream cheese and split it with me... about halfway through my half the toaster thing popped in my head... so, I asked the mgr and he said, nope... they only have one toaster. So, again, I had to tell him as nicely as possible that it's not 100% gluten-free when toasted in a contaminated toaster.

So, here I am with a Dermatitis Herpetiformis flare up a few days later and extreme exhaustion. Not exactly how I planned on spending my T-day break. Funny how we see gluten-free on the menu and assume they've got the rest covered for us. But, at least they are making the steps! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cheryl-C Enthusiast

Oh no! Sorry to hear about the DH - hopefully you're feeling better soon. I agree, it seems a lot of restaurants/bakeries/cafes are making the effort now, they just haven't got the idea 100%. They provide the food, without realizing the food needs the correct environment. I'm glad you pointed it out - hopefully they will take it to heart.

4celiacs Newbie

Yes, I agree that many food establishments are trying to serve gluten free and we just have to educate them.

Salax Contributor

That sucks. But at least they are trying. I see this alot with Fries. Then when you ask if it's a dedicated fryer, you get the deer in head lights look.

I also have experienced this in a pizza place. They have the gluten-free pizze crust, but when I asked about the toppings, sauce, etc...I got a blank stare. They they proceeded to explain that the toppings were kept safely. :blink: So I asked if they were gluten-free, still no answer.... :o I got up to leave; then he proceeded to tell me that no-one had ever complained or gotten sick that he was aware of. *sigh* I left. I will not eat there. To bad, I wanted to try it. Had a pizza craving. O-well.

People just don't get it. And it's hard to explain to many, because they don't want to get it or they just can't understand it. I think the "peanut allergy" is the better way to explain it, at least with my experience. Even then it may not work! I even had like a 30 minute conversation with a co-worker on gluten-free and celiac disease. And the next day or so she was telling people I couldn't eat glucose. :blink: LOL.

Oh the joy of celeac disease......*sigh* some days I just want to order a freaking pizza. *cry* hehe. :D

Archived