#1 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:37 PM

I have to share this incident with you all, happened this morning. :D

We have a neighbourhood group that gets together the last Sunday of each month for coffee and elevenses, just so that we all stay in touch. We take it in turn to host, and the rule is that the hostess doesn't have to provide any food, just the tea and coffee. It is what is known here in the popular vernacular as "Ladies, a plate" (with food on it of course :lol: ). In reality, of course, when I am hostess I always have to bake because I can't eat what they bring, which I am very careful to send home with them down to the last crumb. Another gluten-freer has just joined us too.

I always try to sneak my plate of food in so that no one knows which plate is the "gluten free plate", and I am usually pleasantly surprised at how much of my food disappears (there is always oodles of food). I shared with some of you before the story of my on-the-hill neighbour who said one day, "OMG, who made this delicious almond cake?" She thinks of herself as THE baker in the neighbourhood and sells baked goods at the local Farmers Market. When I confessed that I did, her mouth dropped open and she said, "Is it gluten free!!!???? :o :unsure: :rolleyes:

So today I made a new recipe for me, an apple cake I think I found here on the forum. I think the apples (two) that I used were a little too big as the cake was very moist, but they all loved it any way. So up pipes my neighbour who was in the U.S. when we were last summer and stayed with us for a few days: "Ever since I stayed with you in Incline I have not been afraid of gluten free food. :blink: Sometimes when I am out having a coffee I will even choose one of the gluten free items." :) :rolleyes: I wonder how deep this "fear" ran???
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:02 PM

"Ever since I stayed with you in Incline I have not been afraid of gluten free food. :blink: Sometimes when I am out having a coffee I will even choose one of the gluten free items." :) :rolleyes: I wonder how deep this "fear" ran???

:D Great story Shroom! Big scary gluten free food!! :o :lol:
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 Judy3

Judy3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:54 PM

As you know I am new the the forums and to gluten free food but I have to share. It's not even a month since my diagnosis and I have already had by new 'guy friend' and his sister who has been my friend for years bailed on me. Nice people huh? They were teasing me and joking around about not inviting me places because of 'that gluten thing again'... hurtful words especially to someone that's new to this and when I voiced my feelings about it, I ended up being the bad guy. So good riddance I'm thinking. Tonight I made flourless peanut butter cookies from a post on here and my son who is not gluten free thinks they are better than regular peanut butter cookies. So here is the bad side of friends and family with the fear of gluten free and the good side with my 22 yr old son.. :)
*Judy

Food allergies to fish, seafood, tree nuts, aspartame(Equal),flax seed, and many drugs
Stomach issues since childhood
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) age 6-44
Diabetes age 44 to present now going back to Hypoglycemia since gluten free.
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2005 and it's gone now that I'm aspartame and gluten free. Hmmm
Celiac disease- negative test in 2009, positive tests in Nov. 2010
Gluten free started 11/08/2010
Genetic tests positive- DQ2, positive -DQ6 (?) negative- DQ8 11/15/2010

#4 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:32 PM

As you know I am new the the forums and to gluten free food but I have to share. It's not even a month since my diagnosis and I have already had by new 'guy friend' and his sister who has been my friend for years bailed on me. Nice people huh? They were teasing me and joking around about not inviting me places because of 'that gluten thing again'... hurtful words especially to someone that's new to this and when I voiced my feelings about it, I ended up being the bad guy. So good riddance I'm thinking. Tonight I made flourless peanut butter cookies from a post on here and my son who is not gluten free thinks they are better than regular peanut butter cookies. So here is the bad side of friends and family with the fear of gluten free and the good side with my 22 yr old son.. :)

yay for your son :)
sorry your friends bailed- that is just so bizarre- some of the yummiest food in the world is gluten free!
im getting ready to dig in to this moist dark chocolate almond flour cake my sis in law made for thanksgiving :P
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#5 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:42 PM

:D Great story Shroom! Big scary gluten free food!! :o :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shroomer, can I have the recipe for the almond cake, please. :D
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#6 Judy3

Judy3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:44 PM

yay for your son :)
sorry your friends bailed- that is just so bizarre- some of the yummiest food in the world is gluten free!
im getting ready to dig in to this moist dark chocolate almond flour cake my sis in law made for thanksgiving :P

Wish I wasn't allergic to almonds... chocolate cake sounds good!!
*Judy

Food allergies to fish, seafood, tree nuts, aspartame(Equal),flax seed, and many drugs
Stomach issues since childhood
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) age 6-44
Diabetes age 44 to present now going back to Hypoglycemia since gluten free.
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2005 and it's gone now that I'm aspartame and gluten free. Hmmm
Celiac disease- negative test in 2009, positive tests in Nov. 2010
Gluten free started 11/08/2010
Genetic tests positive- DQ2, positive -DQ6 (?) negative- DQ8 11/15/2010

#7 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:48 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shroomer, can I have the recipe for the almond cake, please. :D

Here ya go:

http://www.groupreci...aroon-cake.html

Enjoy :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#8 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:21 AM

The almond cake sounds yummy, but I have a couple of questions. First of all, grams.... I thought that was a weight. ? Do I weigh my ingredients? or measure them like in a measuring cup? My measuring cup has "ml" on it, not "g", so I guess not.

And the "self-raising flour" -- I've never seen self-rising gluten-free flour. What did you use? and then how much yeast would I add to make up for it?

hmm.... maybe I'd better not even try this recipe. :lol: (totally ignorant of the metric system, and I don't like to cook -- although I've been gradually learning a few baking tips since becoming gluten free.)

#9 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:00 AM

Yes, you weigh the ingredients. If you have only non-metric scales, one ounce is 28.3 grams. It is a bit odd to see tablespoons in the same recipe. One Tbsp is 15 ml.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#10 Pac

Pac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:02 AM

As a chocolate-lover allergic to almonds, I totally agree. :)

Can you eat other nuts? You can substitute almonds with hazel nuts, walnuts or whatever is cheapest where you live - like poppy seed.

#11 ElseB

ElseB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:09 AM

My non-Celiac-but-eats-gluten-free-at-home boyfriend is an amazing baker (as a hobby). After I was diagnosed he switched to baking entirely gluten free. No wheat flour in our house (his choice, not mine). If we told friends that what he'd made was gluten free, they'd comment "hmmm, yeah tastes gluten free". But then we could make the exact same thing again and not tell them before they ate it that it was gluten free and they'd be raving about how good it tasted. And they'd panic when they saw me eating it thinking that it wasn't gluten free and I was going to get sick! Its just a mind-set. People think gluten-free = disgusting food. Probably because often it is if made with cheap ingredients like rice flour. But if made properly, its good! Nothing like a good flourless chocolate cake!

#12 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:13 AM

sorry you're allergic to nuts....

i second "helpme" - there's nothing better than a flourless chocolate cake!!!! my sis in law just happens to like this particular recipe with almond flour- but ive seen several recipes that are flourless- AND YUMMMM... do u have problems with dairy??? i like to use a jaimee oliver recipe for flourless choco torte- and then i just make or buy a gluten-free pie shell :P :P :P
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#13 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:17 AM

The almond cake sounds yummy, but I have a couple of questions. First of all, grams.... I thought that was a weight. ? Do I weigh my ingredients? or measure them like in a measuring cup? My measuring cup has "ml" on it, not "g", so I guess not.

And the "self-raising flour" -- I've never seen self-rising gluten-free flour. What did you use? and then how much yeast would I add to make up for it?

hmm.... maybe I'd better not even try this recipe. :lol: (totally ignorant of the metric system, and I don't like to cook -- although I've been gradually learning a few baking tips since becoming gluten free.)

Hmm, sorry about the grams; I have a scale that does both ounces and grams so I never think about it. As for self-rising flour, here's a guide:

Here are a few versions of making SR Flour: 500 gm. plain flour + 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder + a pinch of salt 500 gm. plain flour + 20 ml. cream of tartar + 10 ml. bicarbonate of soda 1 cup plain flour + 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder + 1/4 tsp. salt 225 gm. plain flour + 2 level tsp. baking powder 450 gm. or 16 oz. plain flour + 1 oz./25 gm. baking powder 1 cup plain flour + 1 1/4 tsp. of baking powder. Some cooks suggest a half teaspoon of baking powder per cup of flour. To make baking powder Place 3 tsp. bicarbonate of soda and 4 tsp. cream of tartar in a jar and shake them well together. Store in a cool place.

Instructions

1. Whichever combination you use, sift all the ingredients together 3-4 times, to make an even mix. Store in an airtight container.

Notes

The quantities above are only a rough guide. The amount of baking powder can vary according to a recipe and what else you have added to it. For example, 2 level tsp. baking powder is generally enough when using 250 gm. flour and 120 gm. fat. But if you increase the amount of fat and also add eggs, which all help to make it rise, you only need 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder. So, follow the recipe closely.

Read more: http://wiki.answers....r#ixzz16beGuyal
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#14 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:05 PM

American kitchens don't typically have scales at all, but the joy of cooking has tables with volumes (cups) and weights (oz or grams) as do many classic basic cookbooks.

I like weighing things better, though, so it may be an investment worth making if you're going to cook much.

On topic: Yeah, it's been funny with a few friends. I make perfectly delicious naturally gluten-free food and they say ... this is gluten-free??!

not so much in the bakery realm yet, though. I definitely sympathize with the sentiment though because many of the prepared foods are AWFUL.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#15 realmaverick

realmaverick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:42 PM

Great that your friends enjoy your cooking. Though given the choice, I'd never buy or eat a gluten free alternative. In my experience, they are packed with sugar, to take away the odd tastes of the alternate flours etc.

Never tried home baking, as I'm certain it will taste just as bad or be equally as unhealthy. I would however love to try yours! :D
Main Symptoms
  • Extreme Fatigue
  • Anxiety, Brain fog
  • Sore Eyes

Diet and Supplements Started 23rd September 2010
  • 100% Gluten Free
  • Holland & Barratt, Vitamin B Complex. 100mg B1, B2, B6, B12
  • Holland & Barratt, Omega 3 Fish Oil. 1360mg x 2. 1900mg Active EPA/DHA
  • Mightidophilus, Enteneric Coated Probiotic. 20 Billion MO, 12 Strains.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: