10 replies to this topic

#1 polarbearscooby

polarbearscooby

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:06 AM

So, I've always had fairly clear skin right? I'm 20 and I've only had a dozen pimples in my life :P But I've noticed that whenever I get glutened I can expect to get a few of them within the next couple of days. Does anyone else have this issue?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:56 AM

Yes, I do. I often wonder if the pimples are related to DH. What do you think, folks?

I also often get a canker sore, as well as a migraine.

On its way down (after a couple of days) my body gets sore and sometimes I get painful lumps on my old hip injury.

I often too get depressed/anxious say a week later...

Lovely, eh?

Bea
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#3 Marz

Marz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:06 PM

Yeah, I'm close to 30 and really struggling with monster zits the last couple of months while I've been gluten-free (and getting accidently glutened now and then). Really,really annoying having pimple breakouts when you're not a teenager... :/
Feb 2010 - Start of continuous GIT problems and panic attacks
July 2010 - Blood and biopsy -ve, went gluten free after testing which completely relieved symptoms
July 2011 - 1 year gluten free, food intolerances (Chicken, eggs, olives, goat milk) gone!

2012 - Soy no longer a problem
Gluten intolerant

#4 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:59 PM

When I was in my twenties I had much pimples in my scalp and running down my neck and onto my back. It was dangerous really--I ended up getting kidney disease and the beginnings of skin cancer. Avoiding gluten and other allergens changed that. I didn't fully recover my heath til more recently by finally discovering I have to avoid all trace gluten, as well as a host of other allergens.
Meanwhile, detox herbs helped considerably...
As said, even now if I get glutened, sometimes I will get a pimple or two as well as a bunch of other symptoms.
I do wonder if this isn't related to DH. If this happens to you a lot, you might want to get this possibility checked out.

Bea
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#5 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:15 PM

DH begins at the average age of 20, so your outbreaks would be consistent with having it. However, you may simply have pimples. Both my son and I were 19 when we developed DH for the first time, and my dermatologist treated it as an extreme case of acne. Of course, the medications burned and peeled my sensitive skin, and I was tortured for four years until I made the connection to iodine (not gluten, though). I removed all iodine from my diet, and I was fine thereafter except with occasional flare-ups. It wasn't until I was 47 and learned that I had celiac that I was able to put two and two together. Because I now take thyroid medication (which contains iodine), even the slightest gluten contamination causes a small outbreak of DH on my face and neck. At least for my DH, it takes BOTH gluten and iodine to cause an outbreak. My son, who was diagnosed with celiac at one month short of age 16, developed DH at 19 when he cheated on his gluten-free diet. Because of the DH, he stringently follows a gluten-free diet now.

#6 MelindaLee

MelindaLee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:33 PM

I noticed the same thing. Also the "zits" are always at my jawline. Not like the acne I had when I was a teen (I'm 42 now)

#7 polarbearscooby

polarbearscooby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:50 PM

At least I'm not the only one, that's good to know :)

I don't think this is DH because I recently had my first bought of DH last summer....it was awful. :(

#8 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 03:51 PM

At least I'm not the only one, that's good to know :)

I don't think this is DH because I recently had my first bought of DH last summer....it was awful. :(

At this point I think I have DH light since I rarely get it any more. The detox herbs and eating lots of veggies plus exercise really helps...and of course, avoiding gluten!

I still get very itchy eczema however from eating tomatoes/potatoes/peppers--in my ears and crotch. And am also just discovering I can't tolerate coconut oil etc. at all...from the point of view of my skin or my nervous system (including sleeplessness due to on fire sciatica at night). Without all that I sleep fine. With these items I get scaly, puffed out red areas that can crack and bleed not to speak of driving me crazy itchy.

In my twenties I had terrible skin, whereas now everyone comments on how clear and young looking it is.. My hair too has so much more body. It used to be straight and lifeless, falling out all the time. In fact I used to think that was "normal"--for me that is. Now it looks great. I never have to set it at all--it waves naturally. I guess these are some of the benefits to figuring all this stuff out, besides feeling so much better.

Bea

#9 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:03 PM

I had rosacea clear up when I went gluten free, but that may have been because I also dropped dairy, and greatly reduced the processed foods and sugar I was eating. I still get a pimple here and there but i haven't tied it to gluten. Right before I went gluten free for good I got the DH rash and I still have scars from that, but they could not possibly be mistaken for pimples or acne.

#10 Rowena

Rowena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:37 AM

I ain't no expert, that's for certain. But I certainly see a connection with my acne and glutenings etc. Like someone above me mentioned, I had always been treated with a fairly severe case of acne. But I have a high sensitivity to a lot of topical products, so the treatment had to be very careful. I can't use most of the heavy creams used to treat acne. I always associated that with benzoyl peroxide, clindamycin, and other such ingredients. They turned my face red and I felt by the end of the day that I had no skin left on my face. That's how much it burned. I could never wait to wash my face because for that brief moment my face felt... well normal. (I gotta admit though, the burning and peeling did do a good job of clearing up my acne.)
Well anyway, since my miscarry in the spring of 2009, I have had the worst acne, and of course it went untreated because I feared doctors would give me the very medicines I am sensitive too. Plus we had no money. It correlated with my horrible health that I have had since my miscarry. It took doctors so long to figure out what on earth was wrong with me. Finally this october, my new doctor tested me for celiac. (I of course did a bunch of research on what it was, and discovered gluten was in nearly everything that made me feel the worst.) Of course my results, like everything else turned out to be negative. But I had already determined that I would try the gluten free diet. After a year and a half of being nonstop sick, I was determined to do ANYTHING to make me feel better.
But along with the gluten free diet (which has been working quite well for me by the way, I feel like a whole new person), I have noticed my acne clear up. And I certainly don't have as much of a problem with shampoos and soaps hurting me anymore, a problem I have had for years.

Gluten Free since Oct. 1, 2010
Fish/Seafood Free since 1997
Chocolate Free (with a few taste tests to see if I'm just crazy) since 2001.
Officially Dairy free 8/5/2013 (mostly dairy free before that, but I like my cheese and things) (dx'd officially with lactose intolerance, suspect casein too though)
Esophagitis dx'd 8/5/2013 thus doing a diet devoid of acidic foods and stuff

#11 Bella001

Bella001

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:10 PM

So, I've always had fairly clear skin right? I'm 20 and I've only had a dozen pimples in my life :P But I've noticed that whenever I get glutened I can expect to get a few of them within the next couple of days. Does anyone else have this issue?

I break out really bad around my jaw line when I get glutened. The lady who does my facials said that the jaw line is your digestive system, guess she is right!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: