7 replies to this topic

#1 SilverSlipper

SilverSlipper

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:54 PM

I'm looking for a good substitute to make sausage balls. The recipe I used in the past was 1 lb sausage, 2 cups cheese and 2 - 3cups bisquick.

I've used Pamela's baking mix and it tastes okay. I used gluten-free bisquick today and they are really hard and heavy.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I'm trying to pull some holiday recipes together.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:44 PM

I'm looking for a good substitute to make sausage balls. The recipe I used in the past was 1 lb sausage, 2 cups cheese and 2 - 3cups bisquick.

I've used Pamela's baking mix and it tastes okay. I used gluten-free bisquick today and they are really hard and heavy.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I'm trying to pull some holiday recipes together.

Thanks!

This looked good. I got it from glutenfreeville.com, but have not tried it yet:

Sausage Balls
By: Nancy
These are adapted from the old favorite Bisquick recipe. Actually, they are slightly better since they come out a bit crispier than the Bisquick version! If you like them spicy, substitute some peeper jack for some of the cheddar, or use hot sausage.

Ingredients
• 1 pound bulk sausage
• 10 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
• 2 cups gluten free biscuit mix (I use Kinnikinnick Bread and Bun Mix)
Directions
1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Mix with your hands until all ingredients are combined.
3. Form into 1" balls or use a small scoop, and place onto ungreased baking sheet.
4. Bake at 350° for 17 minutes. Fills 3 baking sheets.
5. Makes about 75 balls.
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#3 Mizzo

Mizzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 03:51 PM

Thanks!

How about King Arthur Gluten free flour.

#4 Keela

Keela

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:42 PM

Add extra baking soda, use buttermilk or at least add lemon juice to your liquids. The acid helps the soda work. Also you might increase the liquids by 1/8 to 1/4. Anytime you use rice flour it takes extra liquid.
Wheat free March 2008
Gluten free December 2010

#5 Swimmr

Swimmr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:41 AM

Thanks!

I use Namaste bisquit mix, using the recipe for biscuits on the back of the bag, omitting some of the oil that is called for the recipe (because of using sausage). Then I add a pound of spicy sausage and 2 cups of cheddar/jack shredded cheese. I get my hands in there and squoosh it up real good and then use a tablespoon measuring spoon to form small balls. I bake on a broiling pan just in case some grease drips from the sausage. It usually doesn't happen though. This makes a crap-load of sausage balls...I don't know how many, but a whole bunch :) Way more than a dozen. DH doesn't like sausage balls anyways, and says, "They taste like sausagy/cheesy balls of dough!" LOL and I say, "well that's what they are, babe" But I love them. DH's son who is 9 loves them too.
-Self-diagnosed gluten/wheat intolerance 2007. Negative (basic) blood test for celiac disease March 2009.
-Diagnosed positive for Celiac 5/11/2010!!
-Vitamin D low (last year was deficient), Iodine low, Protein S low. Balance/dizziness not related to Celiac.
-Elimination diet 11-4-2009 and ended 02-28-2010. Tolerating dairy again. Highly intolerant to soy, sensitive to green peas and corn kernels.
"Oh CRAP! Are you SERIOUS??

#6 lcbannon

lcbannon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:10 PM

I have made these using the homade gluten-free Bisquik recipe you can find here in the forums. I usually use 1 mild sausage and 1 hot then I also sprinkle Cayenne on them right before baking.

#7 SilverSlipper

SilverSlipper

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:44 PM

Thanks so much everyone!

#8 kaitlyn77

kaitlyn77

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:16 PM

I tried making the normal sausage ball recipe also and got the same results. The next time I made them I had some milk to moisten them and they tasted great!! Just like the gluten version!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: