Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Sausage Ball Recipe

8 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a good substitute to make sausage balls. The recipe I used in the past was 1 lb sausage, 2 cups cheese and 2 - 3cups bisquick.

I've used Pamela's baking mix and it tastes okay. I used gluten-free bisquick today and they are really hard and heavy.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I'm trying to pull some holiday recipes together.

Thanks!

Ads by Google:

I'm looking for a good substitute to make sausage balls. The recipe I used in the past was 1 lb sausage, 2 cups cheese and 2 - 3cups bisquick.

I've used Pamela's baking mix and it tastes okay. I used gluten-free bisquick today and they are really hard and heavy.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I'm trying to pull some holiday recipes together.

Thanks!

This looked good. I got it from glutenfreeville.com, but have not tried it yet:

Sausage Balls

By: Nancy

These are adapted from the old favorite Bisquick recipe. Actually, they are slightly better since they come out a bit crispier than the Bisquick version! If you like them spicy, substitute some peeper jack for some of the cheddar, or use hot sausage.

Ingredients

1 pound bulk sausage

10 ounces shredded cheddar cheese

2 cups gluten free biscuit mix (I use Kinnikinnick Bread and Bun Mix)

Directions

1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.

2. Mix with your hands until all ingredients are combined.

3. Form into 1" balls or use a small scoop, and place onto ungreased baking sheet.

4. Bake at 350° for 17 minutes. Fills 3 baking sheets.

5. Makes about 75 balls.

Thanks!

How about King Arthur Gluten free flour.

Add extra baking soda, use buttermilk or at least add lemon juice to your liquids. The acid helps the soda work. Also you might increase the liquids by 1/8 to 1/4. Anytime you use rice flour it takes extra liquid.

Thanks!

I use Namaste bisquit mix, using the recipe for biscuits on the back of the bag, omitting some of the oil that is called for the recipe (because of using sausage). Then I add a pound of spicy sausage and 2 cups of cheddar/jack shredded cheese. I get my hands in there and squoosh it up real good and then use a tablespoon measuring spoon to form small balls. I bake on a broiling pan just in case some grease drips from the sausage. It usually doesn't happen though. This makes a crap-load of sausage balls...I don't know how many, but a whole bunch :) Way more than a dozen. DH doesn't like sausage balls anyways, and says, "They taste like sausagy/cheesy balls of dough!" LOL and I say, "well that's what they are, babe" But I love them. DH's son who is 9 loves them too.

I have made these using the homade gluten-free Bisquik recipe you can find here in the forums. I usually use 1 mild sausage and 1 hot then I also sprinkle Cayenne on them right before baking.

I tried making the normal sausage ball recipe also and got the same results. The next time I made them I had some milk to moisten them and they tasted great!! Just like the gluten version!