9582 replies to this topic

#1 jess_gf

jess_gf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:51 PM

I thought it might be fun if we had a thread where we shared what we're cooking up for dinner:) I am not an experienced cook so coming up with gluten free menus for me and my boyfriend feels like a challenge. It's also weird since I only started eating meat since my diagnosis, so I have 0 experience preparing meat.

Tonight I'm going to try that Tinkyada spiral pasta with some gluten-free pasta sauce and gluten-free meatballs I got from TJ's.
Gluten Free since 11/2010
Dairy Free since 01/2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 03:31 PM

I'm making Hot Brown Sandwhiches with turkey left over from T'giving:
gluten-free toast topped with turkey, tomato, and cheese sauce made with gluten-free flour, milk and parmesan cheese. Broil until speckled. Top that with two bacon strips (cooked crisp)
With that I'm having an old time fruit salad. (Canned pineapple on lettuce topped with mayo and grated yellow cheese.

I like your idea of meal reports. It will give us all new menu ideas.

#3 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 03:33 PM

I'm having Tinkyada brown rice spaghetti-style pasta with doctored-up ready-made spaghetti sauce that I've had stashed in my freezer in single serving sizes. Yum! This time I'm trying the quick cook method for the pasta (cook 1 to 2 min., cover and let sit for 20 min. before serving). As you can tell, I'm being lazy today. Posted Image
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 03:40 PM

We were out most of the day so I pulled out some pot roast and gravy I had in the freezer from a couple weeks ago. I made mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts to go with it.

I make pot roast by browning the meat on all sides for about 5 minutes per side in a little olive oil. I add a couple chopped onions, a few cloves of peeled garlic, a cup of water and a little sea salt. Cover and cook on low (300 degrees) for 5 hours. Thicken juices with cornstarch to make gravy.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:13 PM

I'm going to try this easy-looking chicken cacciatore recipe. I'll probably have it with brown rice and some chard or spinach.
http://www.dphowell....ken-cacciatore/

#6 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:13 PM

We are grilling steaks that I marinate in worchesshire (?) sauce , garlic and.black pepper. Red potatoes cut in little squares, tossed with olive oil and Italian seasoning, put in a foil packet and grilled. Regular salad. Hub's millionth birthday so I will make a BC brownie mix with Kraft Carmel bits, hot from the oven, vanilla ice cream and Carmel sauce.

Tomorrow. It's chili with ground turkey breast in case we haven't had enough turkey.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#7 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:33 PM

Salmon patty (one can salmon, chopped, bones mashed, mixed with 1 egg, 1 jar marinated artichokes chopped, couple of spoons of corn flour, and normally with mustard but I forgot it)

Steamed cabbage

Sweet potatoes with olive oil and lemon juice

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#8 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:41 PM

Good luck to you with the meat! I had to train myself to eat meat after my diabetes DX but my body thanks me for it :)

Tonight I had bunless beef burger patties with saurkraut, sauteed red onions and steamed broccoli and carrots. Was a lazy dinner night.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#9 jess_gf

jess_gf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:59 PM

I'm going to try this easy-looking chicken cacciatore recipe. I'll probably have it with brown rice and some chard or spinach.

You're a fan of Big Red Kitty? :o
Gluten Free since 11/2010
Dairy Free since 01/2011

#10 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:02 PM

That looks really good!
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#11 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:16 PM

We had lamb, ground chuck, and Italian sausage in pasta sauce over quinoa spaghetti noodles with caraway soda bread.
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#12 WW340

WW340

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:58 PM

Oven roasted pot roast with carrots, onions, potatoes. I put lipton onion soup in the water, and made gravy with potato starch. I made a brussel sprouts casserole with dried cranberries and almond slivers.
Positive Bloodwork January 2007
Positive Biopsy Feb. 2007
Gluten Free since January 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,9)

#13 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:06 PM

Potato chips and salsa. (Hey! I was out all day!)
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#14 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:47 PM

Oven roasted pot roast with carrots, onions, potatoes. I put lipton onion soup in the water, and made gravy with potato starch. I made a brussel sprouts casserole with dried cranberries and almond slivers.

Watch out for the Lipton onion soup! I have seen on here that the newer versions seem to have gluten in the ingredients.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#15 Maggie Mermaid

Maggie Mermaid

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:17 PM

We had green salad with feta cheese and dressed with plain lemon juice; homemade lentil soup (onions, carrots, brown lentils, chicken stock, too much pepper according to hubby); Trader Joe's gluten-free mac & cheese; steamed carrots, cauliflower, & zucchini; and homemade tapioca pudding made with honey instead of sugar.
Enlarged thyroid with nodules and Hashimoto's diagnosed 2007. Self-diagnosed as gluten-intolerant.

Husband is gluten-intolerant, also self-diagnosed, suffered from severe eczema which has largely disappeared since avoiding wheat, corn, tomatoes, tree nuts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: