This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

jerseyangel Proficient

Just got my 1st crockpot!!

So, fingers crossed pork (loin!) with leeks onions carrots with sage and tarragon. Put a few bits of potato, hoping it will thicken a bit.

More excited than is reasonable :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

mmm, that sounds good (as does most of the stuff you all post here!). Would you mind sharing the recipe?

This was in reply to the comment yesterday about cheeseburger chowder. I tried to quote that post, I don't know why it didn't show up that way)

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Hi Wheeleez! Um, I don't actually measure anything, so here goes.

For huge pot o' chowder:

2 lbs ground beef

1 5 lb bag potatos (I used two to make homefries first, so up to you)

2 onions

bunch scallions

Brown ground beef in big soup pot, season the crap out of it, add chopped taters, onions, scallions, and enough water to come one inch below food. Boil until potatoes are tender, add:

1/2 & 1/2 (about a pint)

pile of cheese.

You're done!

It's always better the second day. Would also be good with broccoli... hmmm....

sora Community Regular

Italian sausage slices fried with onion, green and red peppers. Sweet potato fries with paprika and cinnamom.

Rice for the others.

I am having dessert tonight for a change. Ice cream with caramel topping and may sautee some apple slices.

sora Community Regular

Hi Wheeleez! Um, I don't actually measure anything, so here goes.

For huge pot o' chowder:

2 lbs ground beef

1 5 lb bag potatos (I used two to make homefries first, so up to you)

2 onions

bunch scallions

Brown ground beef in big soup pot, season the crap out of it, add chopped taters, onions, scallions, and enough water to come one inch below food. Boil until potatoes are tender, add:

1/2 & 1/2 (about a pint)

pile of cheese.

You're done!

It's always better the second day. Would also be good with broccoli... hmmm....

This sounds really good.

Adalaide Mentor

I found trout on sale today at the store. I have missed fish these past few weeks so I am very excited. I'll probably just fry it up on the stove. I think maybe some sort of potato with it and some fried green beans too.

My peppermint cocoa pebble treats are awesome! I don't think they'll survive long.

notme Experienced

Have you tried any of the venison yet? If so, is it very gamey? Sometimes I find it deplorably gamey but other times it can be very good. I love good venison and one of my favourite ways to do it is to make a blackberry (or cherry or other slightly tart berry) gastrique. A loan recipe that is very good is Roasted Venison with Blackberry Sage Sauce...very appropriate for your cut.

http://leitesculinar...sage-sauce.html

Please let us know what the flavour is like. I am very curious!

welcome back, love2! this is the last of the venison in the freezer he got last year, so i know it is tasty :) i grew up in northern nj and whenever i ate venison from up there, yes, it was pretty gamey - people would soak it in milk overnight to get the gamey taste out. i was not a fan!! but down here in east tennessee, he hunts up in the mountains and for some reason there isn't a gamey taste to the meat. almost zero fat and mostly anything you can do with beef, i use deer for. he gets ground meat i use it for sauce for spaghetti, chili, burgers <although i usually add some other kind of meat to burgers to hold them together. also roasts: perfect for sauerbraten or pot roast, etc i will also cut it into cubes and make stew or slice it & marinate it for grilling on skewers. that blackberry recipe looks delicious but i think i will save it for when we have all those blackberries coming in next summer! :D making mushroom's suggested recipe tomorrow night (still eating leftovers tonight lolz) to feed the hubs and then he goes back in the woods - between trucking and hunting, if he ever leaves me i probably won't notice!!!! ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

welcome back, love2! this is the last of the venison in the freezer he got last year, so i know it is tasty :) i grew up in northern nj and whenever i ate venison from up there, yes, it was pretty gamey - people would soak it in milk overnight to get the gamey taste out. i was not a fan!! but down here in east tennessee, he hunts up in the mountains and for some reason there isn't a gamey taste to the meat. almost zero fat and mostly anything you can do with beef, i use deer for. he gets ground meat i use it for sauce for spaghetti, chili, burgers <although i usually add some other kind of meat to burgers to hold them together. also roasts: perfect for sauerbraten or pot roast, etc i will also cut it into cubes and make stew or slice it & marinate it for grilling on skewers. that blackberry recipe looks delicious but i think i will save it for when we have all those blackberries coming in next summer! :D making mushroom's suggested recipe tomorrow night (still eating leftovers tonight lolz) to feed the hubs and then he goes back in the woods - between trucking and hunting, if he ever leaves me i probably won't notice!!!! ;)

Glad you found a recipe you like. My dad was a big game hunter so I was raised on elk and moose. My husband used to hunt when he had time. Sometimes I would go along with him to camp (we have a camper). I would stay in the camper and read and cook and have steaming hot chocolate ready for him when he got "home" from hunting, often with snow on the ground as there is right now.

love2travel Mentor

Vichyssoise Soup

Homemade Italian Breadsticks with Fresh Green Olive Oil and Fleur de Sel

Lisa Mentor

Hummm... tried to post a picture of dinner, with no success.

Shrimp, green onions, bacon with cherry tomatoes in a butter garlic sauce, served over cheese grits.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I love a good elk burger.

At any rate, I had a cheese wrap with a big bowl of broccoli.

love2travel Mentor

Sweet and Spicy Cocktail Meatballs

Saffron Pilaf with Almonds

Creamed Peas

DavinaRN Explorer

Homemade beef stroganoff with a salad

love2travel Mentor

I am making crispy baked fish (cod) and chips with a light batter and crispy coating. Oh, and onion rings, too. Crudites with Green Goddess dressing.

Dessert? Today I made pecan cinnamon buns you ROLL out. Delicious. You can actually peel the layers apart.

Adalaide Mentor

Turkey day today! I'll make cornbread pudding (from the new Living Without holiday issue), mashed taters, gravy, and pumpkin pie shakes. I'm far too lazy to make a real pie on top of actual cooking.

sora Community Regular

Beef stew. I am feeling chilly today.

IrishHeart Veteran

Bison meatloaf

Sauteed collard greens with shallots and our perennial favorite, ba-con.

Orange olive oil bread (yup, it sounds funny, but it is fabulous)

IrishHeart Veteran

I am making crispy baked fish (cod) and chips with a light batter and crispy coating. Oh, and onion rings, too. Crudites with Green Goddess dressing.

Dessert? Today I made pecan cinnamon buns you ROLL out. Delicious. You can actually peel the layers apart.

stop it ,stop it ,stop it you temptress jezebel!

fish and chips and O-rings ...Oh my!

and (whimper) pecan cinnamon rolls too? My fav!

waaaa!...why, oh why do you have to live

2,588 miles away from me?

kareng Grand Master

When I start my gluten-free compound/settlement Lovie has to come cook for us! Probably give her the main house cause it will have the best kitchen.

Can't say what I'm having. :ph34r: Irish told me I can't say left-overs or a meal with less than 3 ingredients. :P

Persei V. Enthusiast

Steak with fried onions. Juice. And a carob coconut bar. My dad just came back from a trip and brought me those fabulous treats, as well as my always favorite soy chocolate aaaaand 2,5 kilos of almonds. Which makes me happy because I starved last week since I didn't have any almonds to make butter and neither could bake goodies with flaxseed flour (since I have to rotate the flours I bake with and the almonds were an hour away by car).

So I am a happy girl with my carob coconut bars and 2,5 kilos of almonds. I have almonds for the rest of my life.

love2travel Mentor

stop it ,stop it ,stop it you temptress jezebel!

fish and chips and O-rings ...Oh my!

and (whimper) pecan cinnamon rolls too? My fav!

waaaa!...why, oh why do you have to live

2,588 miles away from me?

Temptress! You kill me. :lol:

I love good fish and chips - the real thing, not the fake insipid purchased icky commercial stuff. Oh, and did I neglect to mention my homemade tartar sauce with lots of capers? Oh, man. I almost can't stand it.

The pecan rolls are good but need a couple of tweaks. At least they unroll like they should... :rolleyes:

And you know you would always be welcome here (as long as you and Sylvia shovel for us! :lol: )

IrishHeart Veteran

When I start my gluten-free compound/settlement Lovie has to come cook for us! Probably give her the main house cause it will have the best kitchen.

Can't say what I'm having. :ph34r: Irish told me I can't say left-overs or a meal with less than 3 ingredients. :P

Lovie will most def be our "chef" and we will give her whatever she needs. (I can help)

Sylvia will shovel the snow (that's a given--she promised) and I can't (whine whine--my arms. my shoulders)

And let us be clear...I said we call it "encores".

uh un!....I never said a meal "should be less than 3 ingredients"....show me where I said that? :P proof, I want proof. Cuz, baby I use more than that.

kareng Grand Master

Lovie will most def be our "chef" and we will give here whatever she needs. (I can help)

Sylvia will shovel the snow (that's a given--she promised) and I can't (whine whine--my arms. my shoulders)

And let us be clear...I said we call it "encores".

uh un!....I never said a meal "should be less than 3 ingredients"....show me where I said that? :P proof, I want proof. Cuz, baby I use more than that.

You told me a real meal has more than 3 ingredients. :)

And we would have a tractor or truck with a plow so you could " shovel"

IrishHeart Veteran

You told me a real meal has more than 3 ingredients. :)

And we would have a tractor or truck with a plow so you could " shovel"

yes..that is correct...... a real meal does have more than 3 ingredients...so we agree? :)

I refuse to shovel- My "talents" lie elsewhere.... :lol:

sa1937 Community Regular

Turkey day today! I'll make cornbread pudding (from the new Living Without holiday issue), mashed taters, gravy, and pumpkin pie shakes. I'm far too lazy to make a real pie on top of actual cooking.

I bought that Holiday Issue so did you like the cornbread pudding?