Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat
3 3

9,867 posts in this topic

Yes, IH! I just typed that in sort of tongue-in-cheek. At our house we do not exactly plan our conversations! :lol:

Anyway, more on the gluten-free compound location. What are your considerations? Mine are as follows:

- warm climate (such as Croatia)

- beautiful scenery (such as Croatia)

- wondrous food and ingredients (such as Croatia)

- surrounded by sea (for example, Croatia)

- amazing ancient art, culture, language and architecture (did I mention Croatia?)

- welcoming people - bet you can't guess where I'm thinking of!

Was lookng at the real estate ads in Colorado. Perhaps 2 communes? That way we have somewhere to vacation?

Not too sure who "we" is/are,

I like the idea of loosening up the topic. Good thought! And a thought for some future threads. :)

I got this thread talking about settlements & communes and who would do the snow plowing. I asked a few (sorry not all) people who participate in the thread if they minded that the topic went astray (as I don't post often in it). They said they liked it that way & thought changing the title to reflect the "chat" aspect was a good idea. Then they all thought I could change the title but I had to ask The Oracle to make the magic. :D

I agree. Like Bacon.

A worthy topic in most any thread! :lol:

Ads by Google:

Noooo! Bacon is nourishing for the soul. Surely that counts?

I reckon I could load the dishwasher. Not unload though. Hate that job.

I got this thread talking about settlements & communes and who would do the snow plowing. I asked a few (sorry not all) people who participate in the thread if they minded that the topic went astray (as I don't post often in it). They said they liked it that way & thought changing the title to reflect the "chat" aspect was a good idea. Then they all thought I could change the title but I had to ask The Oracle to make the magic. :D

Yes...good idea! :D I'm a bit out of the "loop" these days. :rolleyes:;)

-snort- colorado is in the middle of a heat wave. We need snow.

no idea whats for dinner.

Yes...good idea! :D I'm a bit out of the "loop" these days. :rolleyes:;)

I'm a bit loopy too! :)

The cure for loopiness? Bacon :)

Good for what ails ya!

The cure for loopiness? Bacon :)

Good for what ails ya!

cheering.....Eat more bacon! eat more bacon!

How do I love bacon? Let me count the ways...

1. As is, crispy with just a little flexibility around the edges. About 26 pieces, please.

2. In bacon jam on baguettes. Heck, straight from the jar.

3. With eggs about a billion ways including souffle, omelettes, scrambled...

4. Along with mire poix in things such as soups, stews, braised dishes. For example, I am making a mean black bean with chiles en adobo and lime today. And bacon.

5. In potato salad and crumbled onto other salads.

6. Warm bacon dressing.

7. Spaghetti Carbonara.

There. That's a start. Now it's YOUR turn! :)

Anyone else keep bacon fat around for baking and cooking? When making bread I use it to grease pans. Especially good with cornbread.

German Potato Salad! I'm making some tomorrow to take to Thanksgiving. So good-- and bacony!

Recently went to the PA Renaissance Faire and had "bacon on a stick". Decadently delish:)

Maybe we should have changed the title to: Ode to Bacon

German Potato Salad! I'm making some tomorrow to take to Thanksgiving. So good-- and bacony!

Recently went to the PA Renaissance Faire and had "bacon on a stick". Decadently delish:)

Don't you just adore GPS? What was the "bacon on a stick" like? Anything else with it?

Forgot to mention that if you brush slices of bacon lightly with maple syrup and bake it becomes like bacon candy in a GOOD way.

For some strange reason, I have a terrible craving for bacon! :blink:

I may have to make pancakes and BACON for breakfast tomorrow...yum!

Tonight is chicken drumsticks served with garlic parmesan rice that is mixed with sauteed onions and peas.

I may have to make pancakes and BACON for breakfast tomorrow...yum!

Tonight is chicken drumsticks served with garlic parmesan rice that is mixed with sauteed onions and peas.

I think a little bacon would perk that rice dish right up!

Don't you just adore GPS? What was the "bacon on a stick" like? Anything else with it?

Forgot to mention that if you brush slices of bacon lightly with maple syrup and bake it becomes like bacon candy in a GOOD way.

I do adore the GPS. :) My MIL taught me to make it, probably 35 years ago.

The BOaS was a slab, about 4x10 inches, fried and literally eaten like a huge lollipop. There was a very light amount of a slightly sweet BBQ-like sauce on it. They also offered fried potato chunks. After questioning the cook, I found out that the potatoes are the only thing that gets cooked in the oil so I got to have them. With sour cream. B)

Not the healthiest lunch I've ever had, but mighty tasty :D

I candy bacon with brown sugar. Just coat thickly with brown sugar and bake on a cooling rack set on a baking sheet. I've actually never had it last long enough to put away. :ph34r:

I think a little bacon would perk that rice dish right up!

That would be delicious and I do have bacon at home :)

That would be delicious and I do have bacon at home :)

No fridge is complete without bacon!! :ph34r:

The maple syrup and brown sugar on bacon suggestions sound really good!

I would just like to cast my vote for Croatia- if it breeds men like Goran Visjnic,

I am SO THERE. :ph34r: :ph34r:

1. As is, crispy with just a little flexibility around the edges. About 26 pieces, please.

4. Along with mire poix in things such as soups, stews, braised dishes. For example, I am making a mean black bean with chiles en adobo and lime today. And bacon.

6. Warm bacon dressing.

7. Spaghetti Carbonara.

Anyone else keep bacon fat around for baking and cooking? When making bread I use it to grease pans. Especially good with cornbread.

I keep the fat and use it for cornbread too! And fried potatoes and potato soup and.....

#8 Quiche with double smoked bacon

For dinner tonight it will be something with ground pork but I don't know what yet.

I would just like to cast my vote for Croatia- if it breeds men like Goran Visjnic,

Oh, it does. Believe me. Not that I have noticed or anything... :rolleyes:

6. Warm bacon dressing.

7. Spaghetti Carbonara.

You could write a bacon cookbook.

I admit to having a can in the freezer, like my Mom does.

I also admit to making our eggs in the bacon grease like my Mom does.

Mom is 86 and healthy as a horse, works out at a gym 3X a week and walks 2 miles without huffing and puffing,

therefore I conclude bacon is good for us.

Maybe we should have changed the title to: Ode to Bacon

with poems like "Shall I compare thee to a Slab of bacon?"

Yowzers and ditto.

And if he knows how to make a BLT....and bring home the bacon.......well, you're all set, Bunz. ;)

For dinner tonight it will be something with ground pork but I don't know what yet.

Didn't you tell me your daughter brought home BACON flavored candy canes? :lol:

Dinner tonight is stuffed peppers, but I feel compelled to drape bacon over the top for some reason........