Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat
3 3

9,867 posts in this topic

these look AWESOME !!! now I want some :( I really need to stop reading this thread :P

They tasted incredible. Really incredible.

Ads by Google:

Got invited over for beef stew (made with gluten-free broth 'cause he was hoping I'd come over :) :) :):wub: )

Got invited over for beef stew (made with gluten-free broth 'cause he was hoping I'd come over :) :) :):wub: )

Awwww :wub:

We just had pan fried steak with onions, mashed taters, and brussels sprouts.

Garlic pepper steaks with roasted "crash" potatoes.

I thought I was SO over potatoes, and then you had to go and post this :( They look and sound awesome :D

I thought I was SO over potatoes, and then you had to go and post this :( They look and sound awesome :D

Shroomiekins, I forget if you can do broccoli, but I sliced broc stems crosswise into thin oblongs and fried them in a bit of bacon grease with garlic and paprika. It was just a bit of grease, and I had the burner turned really low 'cause I was doing stuff, anyway, they got really crispy and tasted fabulous. Now I'm trying to figure out what other veggies I can crisp up in that manner.

We had leftover chili over rice tonight. Sometime this week I'm going to try to make these: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Irish-Egg-Rolls/Detail.aspx

Only use rice paper wrappers in place of the egg roll wrappers and bake them instead of frying them (rice paper seems to tear up when I try to fry it).

Shroomiekins, I forget if you can do broccoli, but I sliced broc stems crosswise into thin oblongs and fried them in a bit of bacon grease with garlic and paprika. It was just a bit of grease, and I had the burner turned really low 'cause I was doing stuff, anyway, they got really crispy and tasted fabulous. Now I'm trying to figure out what other veggies I can crisp up in that manner.

Hey, thanks Jess, that sounds great, and thrifty too :P

It's also weird since I only started eating meat since my diagnosis, so I have 0 experience preparing meat.

I'm just curious, were you a vegetarian before, and then wanted more food choices so turned to meat? I was not a vegetarian but didn't eat a lot of meat. After my diagnosis I started craving it like crazy. I'm guessing since I was cutting out one major food source my body needed fulfillment from something else. I still eat small portions of meat, but my meat repertoire has greatly expanded.

Anyway, dinner tonight is quinoa tabouli from Bob's Red Mill: http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes_detail.php?rid=927

Looking forward to seeing everyone else's meal ideas!

I was alone on Saturday and wanted something just for myself so I made Salmon in Rice Papers wrappers with rice and a delicious dipping sauce made from soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, brown sugar and rice vinegar. Had a few that night and tightly covered and refrigerated the rest. For Sunday's dinner I sprayed a pan with some butter flavored non-stick spray and browned both sides for 3 or 4 minutes. This gave the wraps a wonderful flavor and texture. This recipe is so versatile because you can add any veggies you can tolerate like small amountes of shredded carrots, chopped green onions, chopped mushrooms, toasted sesame seeds, baby spinach leaves etc. I love making these rolls as appetizers too.

I was alone on Saturday and wanted something just for myself so I made Salmon in Rice Papers wrappers with rice and a delicious dipping sauce made from soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, brown sugar and rice vinegar. Had a few that night and tightly covered and refrigerated the rest. For Sunday's dinner I sprayed a pan with some butter flavored non-stick spray and browned both sides for 3 or 4 minutes. This gave the wraps a wonderful flavor and texture. This recipe is so versatile because you can add any veggies you can tolerate like small amountes of shredded carrots, chopped green onions, chopped mushrooms, toasted sesame seeds, baby spinach leaves etc. I love making these rolls as appetizers too.

That sounds really good. I have done something similar with chicken instead of salmon. I also sometimes put cellophane rice noodles or bean thread noodles in the wraps to vary the texture. I love how you can do just about anythign with rice papper wrappers and the results are usually good cold for lunch too!

That sounds really good. I have done something similar with chicken instead of salmon. I also sometimes put cellophane rice noodles or bean thread noodles in the wraps to vary the texture. I love how you can do just about anythign with rice papper wrappers and the results are usually good cold for lunch too!

I agree. This is such a versatile method of cooking. I only discovered it about a year ago. I use the wraps if there is a little leftover food from dinner, I just add some rice and make some rolls and then take them to work the next day. I think I like the taste and texture after frying them in non-stick spray. The wrapper becomes tender and crispy. I bet with rice noodles or bean thread noodles the taste would be excellent. Thanks for the suggestion.

salmon chowder with coconut milk.

salmon chowder with coconut milk.

Yummmy, do you have a recipe? I can't do dairy so coconut milk should be great.

I put sliced celery, carrots, green pepper, green onion, cauliflower in the crock pot with a couple cups of chicken stock and cooked it on high for about two hours (also threw in salt, pepper, and garlic powder). I also put in about a cup of cooked bacon (maybe three strips cut up). I then poured in a can of coconut milk and a splash of white wine, sprinkled with smoked paprika, and cooked for another hour. Finally laid a slab o' frozen salmon on top and cooked for another hour or so until the salmon was mostly cooked. I peeled off the skin and stirred the bits in. The salmon finished cooking as the chowder cooled.

Veggies are crunchy. If you like soft veggies in your chowder, cook it longer before adding the coconut milk. Don't overcook the salmon.

Sometimes for parties we do a spring roll bar. Just put out dishes of fillings, a plate of the wrappers and a pan full of warm water and everyone makes their own. It's pretty easy to prepare and a unique treat that people don't even think about it being "special diet" food.

I like mango in mine and dipped in a sweet chili sauce.

Sometimes for parties we do a spring roll bar. Just put out dishes of fillings, a plate of the wrappers and a pan full of warm water and everyone makes their own. It's pretty easy to prepare and a unique treat that people don't even think about it being "special diet" food.

I like mango in mine and dipped in a sweet chili sauce.

What a great idea! I've done taco bars and loaded baked potatoes bars before. I'm going to have to try this next party. My only prblem is I don't know how to make very many types of sauces yet for dipping. I make a spicy peanut butter based sauce and a faux soy-ginger-honey sauce using coconut aminos instead of soy. I will have to figure out how to make a sweet chili sauce next. Do you happen to have a recipe or do you use bottled? I wish I could find more bottled Asian sauces that are dairy/soy/gluten AND seafood free. I can eat fish but I don't risk any sauce with fish in it because sometimes they can be shellfish based. One of these days I'm going to try making my own fish sauce.

scratch minestrone soup and buttermilk biscuits (best I've made yet!!)

Tonight I made 'Salmon with White Chocolate Sauce'. Served it with fresh asparagus. The recipe is on a site called cacaoweb. The recipe is easy and fun to serve. I did not have any fish broth so I just used chicken broth. Worked fine. I used cornstarch in place of the flour. I mixed the cornstarch in a little cold water when I added it.

Now mole and cooking nonsweet with chocolate is something I've always been afraid to try :unsure:

Now mole and cooking nonsweet with chocolate is something I've always been afraid to try :unsure:

I've put chocolate in chili before but nothing else til last week. I did an 'Everything Chocolate' Dinner Party: Chocolate Covered Bacon, Spinach and Strawberry Salad with Chocolate Balsamic Dressing, Chocolate Flank Steak with Pineapple Salsa and of course a Chocolate Shamrock Cake (yellow cake with mint, topped with Hot Fudge Sauce and whipped cream). I was surprised at how good the Flank steak and salad were. Go ahead and try something. I found all the recipes online.

Tonight we're having Sweet and Sour Chicken stir fry with broccoli, mushrooms, and pineapple over rice. YUM!

Stuffed Pepper Casserole. When I made it last I made enough for the freezer. I need to clean and inventory the freezer so I'm trying to just eat out of the freezer this week.

recipe here:

Pork Chops Brined in Apple Cider, Juniper and Vanilla Bean with Caramelized Onion Apricot Chutney

White Rice Infused with Apple

Leek Gruyere Gratin

Double Layer Coconut Cream Cake with Coconut Buttercream

Tonight I fixed oven-fried chicken using Zatarain's Seasoned Fish-Fri (Crispy Southern Style) and Ore-Ida Sweet Potato Fries.

I would never have thought of using that type of breading but read it in Living Gluten-Free for Dummies (Danna Korn).

Brined Pork (as in same as last night) but with an apricot Dijon pan sauce

Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto

Mushy Peas with Mint

and Coconut Layer Cake