This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

High 5 for day 1. I have sent Mr Mindwarp to the shops to get more meat veg and eggs :). I am having encores for breakfast. That should make him wince, he is not a fan of sprouts or mornings...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

IrishHeart Veteran

I will be wincing myself ----as I am unable to eat eggs alone without nausea (can do them baked IN things)

and have no clue what's for breakie...except ..encores. Coffee with full fat coconut milk and no sugar was....er, um interesting.

:lol: and when 5:00 happy hour rolls around soon....I may be wincing then too..

I am doing this for the sole purpose of seeing if I can reduce inflammation. Losing weight is a side benefit

of course, but the reality is, I do not feel well most days and the pain index... just plain sucks.

GottaSki Mentor

WOOOO!!!! I'm waiting until I'm free to eat bacon to make some. I know I could just make it and refrain from eating it. I know that in theory I have the willpower to refrain, after all I've made it this far with all this other crap. But I'm also honest with myself, I'll tell myself to double up my topamax and dig in and probably still end up half blind. :lol:

Totally with you on this train of thought -- my will power has gained a lot of strength this year -- getting taken back out last spring clinched it for me -- I can now sit comfortably with all sorts of treats others are munching, crunching and praising without blinking an eye (well maybe I blink, but it is easier than it used to be) -- even the RBJ waited a month before I tasted -- finally gave in to "make sure" it really is as good as reported ;)

PS...I trained the teen chef in the family to make RBJ this morning -- I'm certain this family will not be without it for long -- hubby said something like they have been eating too much bacon as they were munching candied bacon on Christmas morning -- could have heard a pin drop on the carpet -- needless to say all are happy that Mom does the grocery shopping once again -- things are right in our world!

jerseyangel Proficient

If I may kinda sorta jump on the bandwagon and commiserate --as of today I am embarking on the 8 Hour Diet. 8 hours of eating (sensibly but normally), 16 hours of fasting (no cal beverages ok).

I'm weak and can not give up dairy--had to for years and now that I have it back....I...just...can't :unsure:

Today has been ok so far. I figure I'll give it 6 weeks.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I did have a small handful of macadamias mid afternoon when I thought I might keel over, but that was because my daughter woke at 5 this morning. I had my decaf with creamed coconut. The milk I tried a few weeks ago was better. My tum feels happy, full but light if that makes any sense. I confess I spent some time looking at suitable mayo recipes earlier. There are some and it appears to be a acceptable :).

I spent a long time in denial about dairy. I am secretly hoping when I reintroduce it it will be ok. Fingers crossed (I'd happily do bribary if I thought it would work)

GottaSki Mentor

Good Luck Patti -- hope it isn't too hard on you :)

jerseyangel Proficient

Good Luck Patti -- hope it isn't too hard on you :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

If I may kinda sorta jump on the bandwagon and commiserate --as of today I am embarking on the 8 Hour Diet. 8 hours of eating (sensibly but normally), 16 hours of fasting (no cal beverages ok).

I'm weak and can not give up dairy--had to for years and now that I have it back....I...just...can't :unsure:

Today has been ok so far. I figure I'll give it 6 weeks.

Good luck with your new regime! :)

yes, losing dairy (and grains and legumes..... and booze ) is a tough one, but I've done it before and I can handle it for a month or so (she said with enthusiasm....)

I spent a long time in denial about dairy. I am secretly hoping when I reintroduce it it will be ok. Fingers crossed

Fingers crossed!!!.

jerseyangel Proficient

yes, losing dairy (and grains and legumes..... and booze ) is a tough one, but I've done it before and I can handle it for a month or so (she said with enthusiasm....)

I remember how when I lost those (plus some more), how freakin limited my diet was--but worth it in the end. Now, I just want to lose some weight.....I am on some meds that have cause a weight gain :angry: , and the clothes are getting tight :(and....I finally was honest with myself and my knee pain getting worse coincided with the weight gain, which was pretty sudden with the onset of the med. <_< So..... time to get my arse in gear B)

love2travel Mentor

Good News on the Cabana Boyz front (& backs ;))

We need look no further than the volleyball courts of South Mission Beach - I spied many glorious candidates this morning - no pics - I know a few people down there - with my luck a photo of me taking pics of/oogling at our candidates would end up on FB!

Sounds like you are enjoying yourself on your cabana assignment. Maybe go incognito?! We need pictures for inspiration. I mean project. I mean, well, you know... ;)

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I've been grain free for over a month now, and have been 99% sugar free for over a year.

Honestly, I freaking hate it, but I just force myself to not think about it, because my bowels

are the closest to normal they've EVER been, and my general level of inflammation was

just getting way too out of hand. I may give 'fringe' grains (buckwheat, quinoa) a shot next

summer. For now, I'll stick with it because it's working. Hopefully when my general stress

levels are able to recede a bit food will stop biting back!

love2travel Mentor

Gin and juniper-marinated lamb chops with Dijon walnut crust

Hasselback potatoes with lots of bay and garlic

Red cabbage vinegary slaw

kareng Grand Master

The recipe for the sour dough crust PLEASE !!!!!! :D

Here we go. This is from Mireille on Delphi forums:

1 1/4 c. rice flour

2 c. tapioca flour

1 c. dry milk powder

3 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

1 tsp salt

2 t. dry yeast granules

1/2 c. warm water (or a little more depending how thick is the dough)

1 c. sourdough starter*

1 Tbs sugar

3 Tbs shortening

1/2 c. hot water

4 egg whites, at room temp.

In bowl of a mixer, - mix flours, dried milk, xanthan gum & salt.

In small bowl or cup: Add sugar to ½ cup warm water and dissolve. Add the yeast and stir. Let sit until bubbling.

In small bowl or cup: Melt the shortening in the hot water

Blend the dry ingredients, and with the mixer on low, add the hot water/shortening, then, the egg whites, and finally, the sourdough starter & yeast/water/sugar.

Mix at High for 4 minutes.

Oil 2 pizza pans (I use large cookie sheets with rims) and sprinkle with cornmeal.

Spoon the dough onto the pans. It is very sticky. Dip plastic gloves or saran wrap or your fingers in olive oil pat the dough until not more than 1/4" thick. Let rise a little. Time varies depending of temperature. Hard to get smooth. Mine was very bumpy and didn’t rise much. It will smooth a bit when it cooks.

Bake at 475F for a few minutes until it starts to brown. Freeze at this point if you want it for later. If you use it right away, add your topping and bake until cheese is bubbly and the outer of pizza dough is golden.

*Starter:

2 1/4 tsp dry yeast granules

1 cup lukewarm water with 1 tsp of instant potato flakes (mix well)

1 tsp sugar

1 c. white rice flour

Use a big jar, or the such.

Dissolve yeast into the potato water. Stir in the sugar and rice flour. Cover with a saran wrap and let the jar sit out until fermented (1-3 days), stirring every few hrs at first. The mixture will bubble up and ferment and then die down with a skim of liquid on the top. Be sure to stir well before using. The consistency should be about that of pancake batter.

Replenish after use by feeding the remaining starter with 1/2 cup to 1 cup of water and 3/4 cup rice flour, each time you use some. I didn’t try to replenish. Most gets used in the recipe.

&#12288;

GottaSki Mentor

Good luck with your new regime! :)

Fingers crossed!!!.

You can do it!!!

I've been dairy, grain and legume free for 16 months!!! It gets easier....loads easier once you find safe ingredients :)

booze - now that I suggest trialing at least once per month

GottaSki Mentor

Sounds like you are enjoying yourself on your cabana assignment. Maybe go incognito?! We need pictures for inspiration. I mean project. I mean, well, you know... ;)

I've been practicing pretending to text while walking so that I can capture a shot or two without impacting my reputation too much ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

smileys-cheerleading-755332.gif

Here's a little cheerleader for us ALL to continue doing what needs to be done as we collectively kick the celiac monster and her b%$@#y friend Ms. Inflammation's butts into submission.

GO DINNER CHAT TEAM!!

IrishHeart Veteran

and for added inspiration, this guy (whom I think resembles Johnny Depp a bit) would like

to apply for a position as a cabana boy....

84221-800w-1.webp

sora Community Regular

Or worse.

News at 11: Crazy ski-goggled woman caught taking semi nude pics of bronzed young men.

Claims it's for a "secret society of women who need them for their enclosed private compound to perform various duties such as shoveling, serving drinks, eating gourmet meals and just being hunky. Possible reanimation of dead handsome male celebs also involved in the bizarre cult plans..... Charges pending..."

seriously....anyone reading that sentence on its own?....would wonder exactly what the hell we are up to on this thread.....

and congrats on all these victories. :)

That news report was hysterical!! :lol: Almost choked on my dinner.

Italian sausage with sweet peppers, onion and garlic. Broccoli and a bit of rice.

sora Community Regular

I have been craving beef short ribs so may do some up on the weekend.

Any recipe ideas?

Adalaide Mentor

I think I'm going to have some squash tonight with my burgers. I'll probably yank a pack of cookies out of the freezer too for a snack or something later.

I sort of feel like I should be all jumping on this whole new year, try some new diet thing but frankly I'm scared to try anything until I'm done testing all my tyramine foods to see what bothers me and what doesn't. I'm a good way through my list though and hoping that maybe by the time I head back to my neurologist in March that I'll be able to embark on something new since I'll have a lot more options open to me.

Marilyn R Community Regular

i'm sort of bummed at my roommate. He came home with salmon cakes and salmon loaf that were clearly identified as containing gluten. I'm feeling sanctimonious that I didn't Mace him or something. Gosh, I better go shopping tomorrow. Waa.

mushroom Proficient

i'm sort of bummed at my roommate. He came home with salmon cakes and salmon loaf that were clearly identified as containing gluten. I'm feeling sanctimonious that I didn't Mace him or something. Gosh, I better go shopping tomorrow. Waa.

I hope you didn't let him escape unscathed! Those are weapons of war :ph34r:

GottaSki Mentor

GO DINNER CHAT TEAM!!

smileys-cheerleading-755332.gifsmileys-cheerleading-755332.gif

kareng Grand Master

and for added inspiration, this guy (whom I think resembles Johnny Depp a bit) would like

to apply for a position as a cabana boy....

84221-800w-1.webp

Isn't he a bit overdressed for an interview?

GottaSki Mentor

Those are weapons of war :ph34r:

True!

Is he still with us ;)