This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

IrishHeart Veteran

Sora, I love short ribs. The following are amongst my favourites:

http://www.epicuriou...-233706?mbid=RF (yes, they contain chocolate, but it is sort of almost mole-ish).

http://www.napastyle...25S6-_-p-_-Ribs

http://www.saveur.co...Ribs-1000068952

http://www.cookstr.c...rt-ribs-of-beef

http://tastykitchen....rint=1/#size3x5

Let me know if you want more ideas. I haven't even gone through any of my hundreds of cookbooks yet!

See. Sora---told you she would give you some amazing resources!

Love2, .....I gave her ONE recipe idea yesterday ...but said " throw it out to the master."

(Look at that smug little smile it's wearing) :P

........it's because he knows he is worshiped and adored by us all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

sora Community Regular

Sora, I love short ribs. The following are amongst my favourites:

http://www.epicuriou...-233706?mbid=RF (yes, they contain chocolate, but it is sort of almost mole-ish).

http://www.napastyle...25S6-_-p-_-Ribs

http://www.saveur.co...Ribs-1000068952

http://www.cookstr.c...rt-ribs-of-beef

http://tastykitchen....rint=1/#size3x5

Let me know if you want more ideas. I haven't even gone through any of my hundreds of cookbooks yet!

Thank you, It's a toss up between #1 and #3

IrishHeart Veteran

Dinner tonight:

Burgers with mushrooms and onions

Avocado halves with bacon crumbles and balsamic glaze (thank you, Sora for that recipe)

Green beans or asparagus--have to see what they look like at the market.

Day 2 ....and fortheloveofmike, I swear I am having w/d from sugar and cheese ...and this is not fun at all

GottaSki Mentor

Not to worry....Superman has returned!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSvnykfR_BE

For dinner -- thai curry chicken -- with get this -- no curry powder -- found an interesting recipe in the newspaper's food mag -- wish me luck!

sora Community Regular

Dinner tonight:

Avocado halves with bacon crumbles (thank you, Sora for that recipe)

Day 2 ....and fortheloveofmike, I swear I am having w/d from sugar and cheese ...and this is not fun at all

Didn't that bacon article say something about bacon being good for sugar withdrawal?

love2travel Mentor

Not to worry....Superman has returned!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSvnykfR_BE

For dinner -- thai curry chicken -- with get this -- no curry powder -- found an interesting recipe in the newspaper's food mag -- wish me luck!

So happy you are getting excited about Thai chicken! I have never, ever used curry powder in Thai dishes but instead make all my pastes from scratch with kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, chiles, etc. Curry powder to Thai chicken is as authentic as Spam is to bacon. Who needs curry powder? I LAUGH in the face of curry powder. :lol:

love2travel Mentor

Thank you, It's a toss up between #1 and #3

I know what you mean. Both are equally good, actually, and completely different from one another. Let us know what you decide! Short ribs should be its own food group, as bacon should be. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Luck! and if it is edible, please share? thanks, toots. I am not crazy about the overwhelming taste of curry powder (I think it tastes like soap) , although I love Thai dishes....go figure...Nice superman. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

So happy you are getting excited about Thai chicken! I have never, ever used curry powder in Thai dishes but instead make all my pastes from scratch with kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, chiles, etc. Curry powder to Thai chicken is as authentic as Spam is to bacon. Who needs curry powder? I LAUGH in the face of curry powder. :lol:

this is what I prefer.....curry powder (blech) ....where do I find kaffir lime leaves.? Asian market probably..

sora Community Regular

I know what you mean. Both are equally good, actually, and completely different from one another. Let us know what you decide! Short ribs should be its own food group, as bacon should be. :)

I am thinking #1. If I am risking a migraine then I might as well go for wine and chocolate!

love2travel Mentor

this is what I prefer.....curry powder (blech) ....where do I find kaffir lime leaves.? Asian market probably..

Definitely not around here but when my husband takes me to the nearest city (three hours away) every two months on culinary escapes (as we call these trips) we find the lime leaves (fresh and frozen) at an Asian market. We stay in a tiny boutique hotel that is so charming. It only has about 12 rooms I think and each time you get a different one. They are all plush but very different from one another as the building is old (for our standards) and all higgledy piggledy. It is a treat, that is for sure. So, we book the sweet hotel, make dinner reservations at amazing restaurants and go food shopping. We hit the Asian market, the Latino shop, the huge Italian Centre, large indoor Farmer's Market, and gluten-free shop. We usually come home with an enormous haul but this is what we love to do. This is our entertainment. Anyway, we are going next weekend and I cannot wait. Though I'm in lots of pain we are going. As you know, I always lie down in the Jeep en route, but nothing will keep me away from those stores.

How do you like that for a short concise answer? :lol:

love2travel Mentor

I am thinking #1. If I am risking a migraine then I might as well go for wine and chocolate!

You are sure to love it. It will grow on you and then you will become addicted like me. Heck - once we had something similar only with blue cheese added! FANTASTIC. So, if cheese causes migraines as it used to me, go all out...

sora Community Regular

L2T and Irish (Irish knows) in one of my past lives ;) I lived in Thailand and it was an all day process to make our curries. Shopping for ingredients, sitting on the floor and pounding the spices and cooking it. Then eating it, the best part.

I can actually smell it right now. Must make curry soon.

love2travel Mentor

Dinner tonight:

Avocado halves with bacon crumbles (thank you, Sora for that recipe)

This looks soooooooooooo darned good. Sometimes you've just got to have a great burger. And I know yours will be no ordinary burger.

love2travel Mentor

L2T and Irish (Irish knows) in one of my past lives ;) I lived in Thailand and it was an all day process to make our curries. Shopping for ingredients, sitting on the floor and pounding the spices and cooking it. Then eating it, the best part.

I can actually smell it right now. Must make curry soon.

I did not know that! Or if I did I had forgotten. :( Obviously you know your Thai curries like no other! Anyway, there is something so gratifying and therapeutic about making curries from scratch, isn't there? I made one last week. I don't know which I like better - red or green. I'd have to say both.

love2travel Mentor

bacon2.gif

YES! YES, that's right....I found DANCING BACON!!! booyah!

LOVE this. Where on earth do you get your...uh...thingers? This bacon guy is so cute I could just pinch his fatty cheeks.

sora Community Regular

I did not know that! Or if I did I had forgotten. :( Obviously you know your Thai curries like no other! Anyway, there is something so gratifying and therapeutic about making curries from scratch, isn't there? I made one last week. I don't know which I like better - red or green. I'd have to say both.

We always had red when there but now days I prefer green. We used to make red with those giant lovely Thai scampi and fresh pineapple chunks. So delicious, try it if you can get some scampi on your shopping trip.

love2travel Mentor

Here is the article that was in my inbox this morning -- like I need more reasons to want bacon ;)

http://articles.merc...30103_DNL_art_1

This is an interesting article. I know that occasional bacon makes my heart happy! :wub:

love2travel Mentor

We always had red when there but now days I prefer green. We used to make red with those giant lovely Thai scampi and fresh pineapple chunks. So delicious, try it if you can get some scampi on your shopping trip.

MMMMMM! On our culinary trips we take along our coolers, of course, so will be on the lookout for scampi (which will not be the freshest as the nearest sea is about 2,500 miles away). But the combination with pineapple sounds wonderful.

IrishHeart Veteran

LOVE this. Where on earth do you get your...uh...thingers?

well, let's see.....I get the emoticons by googling words like " bacon emoticons" and dancing boy here popped up

and I get my uh ...thingers..... elsewhere ;) he he he

Adalaide Mentor

well, let's see.....I get the emoticons by googling words like " bacon emoticons" and dancing boy here popped up

and I get my uh ...thingers..... elsewhere ;) he he he

LOL! I was also thinking all sorts of inappropriate things when I read that. :lol:

GottaSki Mentor

Menu change -- the recipe I had called for lime zest -- my curiosity has spiked for some ingredients L2T has posted -- so a field trip to the asian market is now on my to do in the morning list.

Tonight will be enchiladas with cream/green sauce -- need to make an extra cassorole for a neighbor and this will do nicely.

zu-noodles and cilantro "pesto" for me

Sinful Choc Cake for men and neighbor.

Choc "Mousse" for me :)

IrishHeart Veteran

How do you like that for a short concise answer? :lol:

I loved it ! Compared to some of my long answers on the board, it was just a telegraph. :D

I felt as if I were right there with you shopping. Sounds like fun.

and by the way, only you can use the term " higgledy piggledy" and get away with it.

:huh:( now, if I had said that, Adalaide and/or Karen would have been all over it like a cheap suit.)

Your expeditions are much like our trips to NYC..I like to hit .the wine shops in particular..then, pack up the car and haul it all back home.

Gotta keep our kitchens and pantries stocked!

notme Experienced

and for added inspiration, this guy (whom I think resembles Johnny Depp a bit) would like

to apply for a position as a cabana boy....

84221-800w-1.webp

eew, no! and let me tell you why:

our son goes out with us to shows (most times at bars) so last saturday night, we are out seeing a local band reunion and (YES they stock redbridge for me!!) some woman, younger than me, but not tooo much younger, is dancing beside me and making motions at harry (son, 26 - yeah, he's a hottie, lolz) who is standing in front of me close to the stage. i made a face at her and she hollers in my ear: don't you just want to put him in your pocket and save him for later? i said: NO! at that point harry turned around and tells her: that's my mom......

now. the guy who plays 'brady black' on "days" - he looks like he can wield a shovel while fixing a mai-tai...... ;) oh, hell, he doesn't hafta do anything. except get naked :D1047132-T800600.webp

notme Experienced

Okay, guys, I'm going to have to take computer lessons from Ginny, because all I can do is post a URL for y'all, but here is the ultimate bacon melange:

http://shine.yahoo.c...-165400311.html

THIS is pure, artistic, delicious genius !!!!!!!!!!! :D thanx, shroomie!!!! i stole it and put it on my facebook as 'serendipity' lol