Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat
3 3

9,867 posts in this topic

2 people I haven't seen since before I started said how well I look today :)

:) fantastic, buddy!

I think brussel sprouts, asparagus and sweet potatoes are three of my new favorite foods. Yum!!!

:DThey are 3 of my fav foods, too Alex. Ditto on the Yum!!!

Ads by Google:

I have been dying for burgers so I finally got myself to the store today for some shopping sans kid. I really love shopping during the day but hate shopping with a borrowed kid. Cooked up some arepas for my burgers and a pot of buffalo pepperjack mac & cheese. I scored a load of fresh fruits so I'll be following dinner with a bowl full of berries and fresh cream.

Something different- pot roast! Hhahahahahaha......

Something different- pot roast! Hhahahahahaha......

Haha! I'm jealous though. None of the stores here have been having roasts on sale, not decent sales anyway. :( Maybe I should come to your house for dinner.

I have been dying for burgers so I finally got myself to the store today for some shopping sans kid. I really love shopping during the day but hate shopping with a borrowed kid. Cooked up some arepas for my burgers and a pot of buffalo pepperjack mac & cheese. I scored a load of fresh fruits so I'll be following dinner with a bowl full of berries and fresh cream.

What is your recipe for arepas?

The plan was for fried chicken but I had forgotten to buy buttermilk. The milk from the dairy has been being rationed due to the tank being broken so I had to get regular buttermilk instead of making my own. <_< Anywho, with my plans ruined for tonight's dinner and my chicken safely in a baggie of milk until tomorrow I managed to score a pork loin on sale while I was out trying not to freeze to death. Ten more minutes.... a couple fried green beans and some reheated buffalo mac & cheese with some extra hot sauce and I should be toasty inside and out again in no time!

Last night men over-ruled the pork chops in favor of steak - go figure

Tonight I'm doing K's pork chops along with a new to us - very old cornbread recipe and cucumbers in herb sour cream sauce.

Encore sloooow cooked beef, mushrooms and zucchini.

Snowed briefly yesterday, gone today. . A balmy 0 for us here.

My husband is really the perfect dream husband. Last night he made us salmon cakes, red potatoes and his special corn (he adds milk and sugar). He used Kentucky kernal seasoned flour for the salmon cakes (gluten-free). He also uses that stuff for fried chicken. Then brownies topped with cherry ice cream and whipped cream. Am I lucky or what. Tonight is still a surprise but I'm sure will be amazing.

Colleen

Colleen, that sounds fantastic. Gonna be tough to top brownies and cherry ice cream.

No idea what's for dinner here, I am halfway through finding places for all the Christmas stuff, and my dining table has vanished for now. I got some of the lounge back though. Hoping the brain fog doesn't strike :)

I have a pretty fantastic husband, but I need one of them cooking men. He sounds awesome! I actually have to cook my own food like a normal human being. :P I suppose between all of the other amazing stuff mine does for me though I can learn to live with cooking for myself. :lol:

http://glutenfreegirl.com/arepas/

I only make 1/2 or 1/4 even and just throw the whole cast iron pan right in the oven. I make them burger sized, so it makes either 4 or 2.

Just reading this recipe. What is " pre-cooked corn meal" ?

Karen, I'm with you. I looked at the photos and said "Cornmeal????" And then I looked at the recipe which called for "pre-cooked WHITE cornmeal"?? and said WTF???

Karen, I'm with you. I looked at the photos and said "Cornmeal????" And then I looked at the recipe which called for "pre-cooked WHITE cornmeal"?? and said WTF???

I doubt the color matters.

I just looked at some Mexican brand corn meal I have. I just noticed it said " instant cornmeal". The only ingredients are corn and lime, slim not sure what makes it " instant". I made hot water corn bread ( basically cornmeal & hot water & fried) and it worked fine.

I've got a cooking husband -- thank goodness -- otherwise the family would have starved during certain periods of time -- I'm grateful for him and that I taught my kids to cook too -- although they are all very happy to let me take care of it for awhile ;)

I've got a cooking husband -- thank goodness -- otherwise the family would have starved during certain periods of time -- I'm grateful for him and that I taught my kids to cook too -- although they are all very happy to let me take care of it for awhile ;)

Same here. Without him, we both would have starved. He carried the burden for a long time. He can do it, but I am the "better cook" he says.

(I am. That's da truth, :lol:)

I went to the gym again today, Ski. So far, so good. I cannot begin to express my sheer joy at being able to use my muscles again--the same ones that were once so weak, bordering on atrophy that I was unable to even dress myself. So much for the doubters (before DX) who said I would need a hoveround. <_< because of "fibromyalgia". It was from celiac, you idjits. I told them it wasn't that.... Fibro, my arse.

And until I can ride my bike, the pink and white bicycle streamers you sent me are dangling from my gym bag!!!xx

J cracks up every time he sees them.

Dinner tonight:

Bison meatloaf, sweet potatoes, sauteed chard.

Just reading this recipe. What is " pre-cooked corn meal" ?

So far the only brand of this that I have found is PAN. (While it does have a cc warning, the bakery I frequent uses it and tests it regularly and it has never tested positive for gluten.) It is not cornmeal treated with lime, which is an entirely different animal. Or corn as the case may be. Corn treated with lime is masa harina, precooked cornmeal is masarepa. I have found the PAN brand of masarepa in both yellow and white, and don't find that the flavor is particularly different with either although I have always had a preference for white corn which started as a little girl.

Same here. Without him, we both would have starved. He carried the burden for a long time. He can do it, but I am the "better cook" he says.

(I am. That's da truth, :lol:)

I went to the gym again today, Ski. So far, so good. I cannot begin to express my sheer joy at being able to use my muscles again--the same ones that were once so weak, bordering on atrophy that I was unable to even dress myself. So much for the doubters (before DX) who said I would need a hoveround. <_< because of "fibromyalgia". It was from celiac, you idjits. I told them it wasn't that.... Fibro, my arse.

And until I can ride my bike, the pink and white bicycle streamers you sent me are dangling from my gym bag!!!xx

J cracks up every time he sees them.

Dinner tonight:

Bison meatloaf, sweet potatoes, sauteed chard.

I used to think things like, that woman with bike streamers on her gym bag is eccentric. Or, that 35 year old woman wearing the giraffe hat is just weird. Now I wonder what someone went through to end up with the philosophy that life is too short for any of that nonsensical stuff, and that if it makes you happy, just do it, no matter how people look at you.

I'm not a gym kinda person, but I'm lugging my fat arse back onto my elliptical again. Yay? That folate supplement is making a real difference already in my energy and pain levels and it hasn't been quite a week yet.

Tonight is my first ever homemade fried chicken. I can't wait! No soy, no Crisco? No problem! I have an entire tub of lard in the pantry. :ph34r:

Oh, and I should point out that my husband is an awesome kitchen helper. I think it is probably better that way than him actually cooking. I like the spare set of hands, and I like being able to heap vegetables on his plate when he isn't looking.

Go IH Go!!!

smileys-cheerleading-755332.gif

Ya...docs suggested a wheelchair to me -- I'm too stubborn -- I'd rather crawl ;)

And another three cheers for Addie's elliptical...

smileys-cheerleading-755332.gifsmileys-cheerleading-755332.gifsmileys-cheerleading-755332.gif

Hip Hip Hooray :)

I used to think things like, that woman with bike streamers on her gym bag is eccentric. Or, that 35 year old woman wearing the giraffe hat is just weird. Now I wonder what someone went through to end up with the philosophy that life is too short for any of that nonsensical stuff, and that if it makes you happy, just do it, no matter how people look at you.

What. She. Said. (yeah, I do not give a flying fig what anyone thinks of my "eccentricities" anymore. One of the perks of getting older. :lol: )

And "good on you" as my friend says.... for getting back on the machine. ;) yep, that folate deficiency was a real energy zap on me. Glad you are feeling better!

And another three cheers for Addie's elliptical...

smileys-cheerleading-755332.gifsmileys-cheerleading-755332.gifsmileys-cheerleading-755332.gif

Hip Hip Hooray :)

That makes two excited people, the other one being my husband who has been complaining that we paid for this thing and I'm not even using it. I should be excited, and I am excited about my ability, but the whole getting used to it again and sore muscles is not high up on my list of exciting things. :lol: Hopefully IH is faring better at the gym.

That makes two excited people, the other one being my husband who has been complaining that we paid for this thing and I'm not even using it. I should be excited, and I am excited about my ability, but the whole getting used to it again and sore muscles is not high up on my list of exciting things. :lol: Hopefully IH is faring better at the gym.

We'll just keep being excited for you until your muscles start cooperating ;)

OMG Burgers on Buns made with Pamela's Bread Mix - I buy OMG burgers premade at my favorite market in Santa Rosa -- maybe I already told this story -- pardon the frog -- anyway if I haven't they are made with grass fed beef, cheese, bacon and bbq sauce all premixed into the patty. Haven't bought them on the past two trips because I cannot eat them -- Son kindly reminded me last weekend to purchase them. They'll be having them with avocado, extra cheese and bacon along with sweet potato fries

I'll have zu-noodles, chicken and the fries :D