This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

IrishHeart Veteran

Hey buddy, we did it!

Off on school run, so more details later, but headline is 14lbs, 3 and half inches of my waist and more energy than in years :)

WHOOHOO! :) Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The strangest "mixed blessing" I can report is that while eating so much spinach, tomatoes, fish, avocado, strawberries, etc, I learned I have a histamine intolerance...I know, how is that a whoohoo exactly ? --well, this is actually good news as both SkiLisa and I have it and we both researched it and we have compared notes. I have supplemented with the enzyme DAO (which can be depleted in a ravaged gut) and amino acids (ditto) which has helped enormously.

It was causing terrible burning in my skin and has been plaguing me for a long time. (this is not the same as an allergy and no testing ever revealed anything at all)

By removing high histamine foods (and the list is very long, unfortunately) I have started knocking it down, which, in turn has also stopped the erratic heart palps and frequent awakenings during the night, (now say Whoohooo!!!)

So, in summary, I am sleeping better, I have more energy and I returned to the gym after being unable to do anything very strenuous with my muscles in a dozen or more years..I can walk a brisk mile, do 8 strengthening machines, lift some weights and do yoga.

Not bad for a woman who could barely walk her driveway without gasping for breath and having terrible pain and cramping in the legs and back (celiac is so much fun!!).

My weight loss report is only 6 lbs. (but I'll take it!) as I had to resort to some grain (brown rice) in lieu of the loss of so many foods, BUT I do not look like the Michelin man anymore (you know the commercial guy who looks like he is wearing a stack of donuts?) :lol:

A good bit of reduction of inflammation is the major bonus -- as my rings are loose, my skin is not red and on fire anymore and I am not at all tired during the day.

A win-win for us both, I would say. I was not faithful in that I had the brown rice, but otherwise, it was not a major struggle at all.

I have to stick with the low histamine diet for a awhile, but for my "celebratory lunch" I had fish and chips at the gluten-free cafe and it was delicious and I have no ill effects at this point. Thanks for being a good "diet buddy" and for chatting with me all along. I am so proud of your accomplishment!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

alex11602 Collaborator

IrishHeart, I am so happy to hear that your pain is less. You have always been an inspiration.

For dinner, I'm making chicken and bacon bbq with a tiny bit of cheddar over baked potatoes. I had to multitask tonight since I needed some of the chicken and bacon made for tomorrow, have to make a birthday cake and needed dinner and have only one rack in my oven :(.

On the plus side the chicken and bacon are being made for some dips for my neighbor's birthday party. I'm bringing buffalo chicken dip, bacon cheeseburger dip and chocolate cake. I definitely had to help she is making pretty much the entire thing gluten-free so that my family can be included ( and now we have a :) for amazing friends).

shadowicewolf Proficient

Tomatos make my body feel like its on fire (mainly my head, neck,and sholders area). Went to the allergist, had the skin prick test done and found that it was one of the biggest reactions (hives) he saw from tomatos. So yep, none for me :)

IrishHeart Veteran

IrishHeart, I am so happy to hear that your pain is less. You have always been an inspiration.

For dinner, I'm making chicken and bacon bbq with a tiny bit of cheddar over baked potatoes. I had to multitask tonight since I needed some of the chicken and bacon made for tomorrow, have to make a birthday cake and needed dinner and have only one rack in my oven :(.

On the plus side the chicken and bacon are being made for some dips for my neighbor's birthday party. I'm bringing buffalo chicken dip, bacon cheeseburger dip and chocolate cake. I definitely had to help she is making pretty much the entire thing gluten-free so that my family can be included ( and now we have a :) for amazing friends).

Thanks so much, hon! You're inspirational too ---as I know what you have done to get you and your family feeling well! ;) xx

CommonTater Contributor

We had homemade potato, leek soup.

kareng Grand Master

We had homemade potato, leek soup.

Tater- wanted to say I love your name and picture!

Last night we had " steak soup". Not sure why its called steak soup as its made with hamburger. I used some instant mashed potatoes to thicken it a little instead of the stick of margarine and 1/2 cup of flour. I made it so I could take some to my parents.

I'm making them some BBQ chicken and twice baked taters, too. Maybe some cookies, but I don't think I have time.

Tonight we are eating at Pei Wei ( PF Chang's fast casual restaurant ).

For Super Bowl, we will be gone until kick- off, so I'm making some ribs in the crockpot, Rotel dip and chips, carrot sticks, celery sticks, grapes, etc.

IrishHeart Veteran

That sounds yummy, K. :)

I'm going out on a ledge tonight and trying:

Quinoa and black bean stuffed peppers tonight.

Making some bread for the hubs today: Bette Hagman's Four Flour Blend. (it's very good)

For SuperBowl, I am thinking turkey soup and wings--but maybe honey glazed instead of "hot"?

Don't want to screw up my progress . :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Sis hasn't been out much lately so I have bribed her to get her over here for a scrabble match and dinner -- she LOVES bacon and is my biggest fan since L2T introduced us to RBJ:

Bacon Jam covered Pork Chops

We will have some other stuff - but nothing green for her!

Lemon Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting

LFitts Apprentice

We made some delicious Strawberry cupcakes by modifying the Betty Crocker gluten-free cake mix. I used 1 box of mix, 1 stick of softened butter, some vanilla, a 10 oz container of strawberry Greek yogurt, about 1/3 packet of strawberry jello, 3 eggs, and about 1/4 cup or a little more of chopped fresh strawberries.

For the frosting, I used two sticks of butter and 1 pound of powdered sugar and about 1/2 cup of chopped strawberries. They were so good!

IrishHeart Veteran

This dinner chat crowd loves people who skip dinner and go straight for the cupcakes. :lol:Those sound yummy.

shadowicewolf Proficient

This dinner chat crowd loves people who skip dinner and go straight for the cupcakes. :lol:Those sound yummy.

I just made a coffee cake. :lol: I'm about to go cut into it.

No dinner for me either :lol:

GottaSki Mentor

folks tonight from half time on....

Heated RBJ on top of small square of cream cheese - served with crunch master crackers

Steak Nachos with guac, sour cream and heirloom tomato salsa :)

Dinner:

Simple Baked Chicken Thighs - salt, pepper and lemonthyme

Mashed Red Potato - milk, butter, garlic, salt and white pepper == Japanese Sweet Potato for me

Baby Brussel Sprouts - stir fried with onion - bacon added at the end for everyone else

Saved batter to make a second lemon cake with lemon cream cheese frosting -- this has been a big hit for all.

BRM Vanilla Cake Mix + one tsp lemon extract

Frosting = 8 oz cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, 5 cups powdered sugar, 1 tsp lemon extract

Single layer with thick frosting on top - i don't bother to frost sides -- yellow sugar sprinkles on top...made a few extra small cakes for neighbors that I hadn't done something for in a long while...smiles all around :)

shadowicewolf Proficient

coffee cake was good, but its better with apples in it. On a random note, does not eating a lot of crunchy foods make your jaw sore? I've noticed this with a variety of things (beef and my crunchy topping on my cake to name two). It feels like i've gritted my teeth all day (which i probably was because i took my retainer out earlier).

I'm not a big fan of crunchy things (except coffee cake topping, even then it was kinda on the softer side).

Ah, just looked it up. Looks like it might have something to do with the muscles in the area where my jaw hinges. One of the biggest factors for this... issue... is gritting or grinding of the teeth.

Its not too bad, just feels like i've gritted my teeth all day :(

Edited by shadowicewolf
Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

So – my Whole30 experience (a bit epic, apologies :huh: )

I decided that going gluten free had started me on the road to recovery, but there was still a way to go. I had previously done elimination through doing Atkins (when I worked out wheat was a problem. If only I realised then what gluten was...). I knew I needed to clean up, and that I couldn’t handle gluten-free processed foods (not even my Friday morning brownie, sob).

So – I had already eliminated over the past 10 years – gluten, coffee, sesame, alcohol, corn, quorn, paprika, and knew I shouldn’t have too much fruit or sugar, but wasn’t good at sticking to it.

The Whole30 has you remove for 30 days (!) all grains inc ‘pretend’ ones, soy, dairy, legumes, alcohol, sugars except fruit, white potatoes, additives (MSG, carageenan etc) and recommend grass fed meats where possible. So you get meat, fish, veg, fruit, nuts, some seeds, and a whole lot of good oils. I also decided to limit fruit, as I know I have some sort of sugar thing going on, and spices.

You are not allowed to weigh in during the 30 days, but before and after.

Sooo, I discovered I really do have an issue with sugar. I could handle a few dates, but apricots and raisins sent me straight back in to cravings again. It acts as a good way of observing your own food habits, and starting to change the bad ones. I had more energy within the first week, and have lost my brain fog most of the time (I thought it had gone already, but I was wrong). My belt kept needed extra holes, and at weigh in I have lost 14 pounds, and 3 and a half inches off my waist. No glutenings this month. Hmmm, interesting.

I have started to eat different combinations of foods, and enjoy the flavours more, as I seem to taste more. I have fallen in love with brussells sprouts, coconut oil, avocado oil, sweet potatoes and avocados (sorry IH!) I survived a month without cheese or bacon :wacko: . Breakfast is now my largest meal, and usually looks like lunch. Dinner is smaller, with little starchy food. I barely need to snack between meals now, unheard of for me.

Probably the most important thing for me has been feeling in control of my relationship with food. I was ‘doing’ gluten-free, but was starving between meals, had low energy and was topping up on chocolate and potato chips. Lots of them. I have had none of either, and that has been fine. No desserts either (unless you count once I had sweet potato with coconut milk. Mmmmm :D ). One of the things that helped me go through the early gluten-free days and all the testing was that Mr Mindwarp said that he had never seen me not achieve something if I wanted to do it, so it made sense to him that problems I had dieting were physiological not psychological. Getting a grip on food and removing some of those which are physically addictive for me has started to give me back my confidence.

I am fitter, and was at a ceilidh (folk/barn dance) at the weekend, and danced for an hour and a half. I couldn’t do 10 minutes last summer. :ph34r:

I am now starting to reintroduce foods one at a time, once a week. Done cheddar cheese. Might get away with it occasionally. Thinking of trying rice on Friday. I am doing half a portion Friday, whole portion Saturday, double portion Sunday. The 4 days clear and on to the next. It is gonna be a loooong old job. But I am in control, and feeling healthier.

Thanks to all of you for support, and of course to my buddy along the way, IH :wub:

LFitts Apprentice

Lol, Dinner was great too, but I was def more excited about the cupcakes.

Dinner was make your own taco salad bar -- all toppings on the counter and everyone puts what they want - taco meat, lettuce, tortilla chips, assorted veggies & cheeses, salsa, dressing. A favorite, for sure!

IrishHeart Veteran

Yes, I am replying to myself (we can if we want to! :lol: ) and I am adding: But then, go back and eat some real dinner.

I just made a coffee cake. :lol: I'm about to go cut into it.

No dinner for me either :lol:

**see my note--I meant dessert FIRST is okay,sometimes...we still need protein and a real meal, hon! ;)

Lol, Dinner was great too, but I was def more excited about the cupcakes.

Dinner was make your own taco salad bar -- all toppings on the counter and everyone puts what they want - taco meat, lettuce, tortilla chips, assorted veggies & cheeses, salsa, dressing. A favorite, for sure!

Always a fav here too!! and yes, excitement about cupcakes is something I share with you.

IrishHeart Veteran

. But I am in control, and feeling healthier.

Thanks to all of you for support, and of course to my buddy along the way, IH :wub:

:wub: You're a rock star, babes! You are one determined cookie! Good for you--feeling healthy is what it's all about. I'm over-the-moon delighted for you!

kareng Grand Master

For Super Bowl, we will be gone until kick- off, so I'm making some ribs in the crockpot, Rotel dip and chips, carrot sticks, celery sticks, grapes, etc.

We were at robotics until half-time! the ribs were falling off the bone! I told hub to cut them up a bit and he picked up some and the meat fell off. I told he he failed and couldn't even do one simple thing I asked! ;)

I think Gracie, The Accidental Kitty wants to tell you what she had for Super Bowl. A piece of Velveeta! And she loved it!

Throw ribs in a crockpot with whatever sauce you like and leave them on low for 7-8 hours!

kareng Grand Master

coffee cake was good, but its better with apples in it. On a random note, does not eating a lot of crunchy foods make your jaw sore? I've noticed this with a variety of things (beef and my crunchy topping on my cake to name two). It feels like i've gritted my teeth all day (which i probably was because i took my retainer out earlier).

I'm not a big fan of crunchy things (except coffee cake topping, even then it was kinda on the softer side).

Ah, just looked it up. Looks like it might have something to do with the muscles in the area where my jaw hinges. One of the biggest factors for this... issue... is gritting or grinding of the teeth.

Its not too bad, just feels like i've gritted my teeth all day :(

The coffee cake needs some apples and cinnamon. Canned or fresh peaches or canned pie cherries might be nice, too. Or some fresh pineapple on top.

Try to relax your mouth. Make a concious effort to have your mouth closed (open a bit is OK if your nose is stuffy) and don't let your tongue touch anything. It takes a little practice but this is a good "exercise" for when you are stressed, or can't sleep or have been grinding/biting wrong.

kareng Grand Master

Yes, I am replying to myself (we can if we want to! :lol: ) and I am adding: But then, go back and eat some real dinner.

**see my note--I meant dessert FIRST is okay,sometimes...we still need protein and a real meal, hon! ;)

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! b%$@#slap2.gif

I have to disagree with you here! Wolfie is always eating her broccoli and stews. If, once a week, she wants to eat cake only for a meal.....I say ENJOY! No one thinks its odd to eat pancakes for a meal. Not much diference in my mind.

corn meal

shadowicewolf Proficient

You guys are so helpful :)

I love that smily :lol:

In all seriousness, i do eat quite a bit of protien every day (anything from meat to peanut butter to cheese, etc).

Yeah, i should have added the apples in. I wasn't up for standing there and slicing them. Excuses, I know, but hey it still tasted good.

GF Lover Rising Star

Where do you guys get these smilies. How do you put them in a post.

For Super Bowl I made pizza rolls in those spring roll wraps. They were a hit, even with the glutinaters.

kareng Grand Master

Where do you guys get these smilies. How do you put them in a post.

For Super Bowl I made pizza rolls in those spring roll wraps. They were a hit, even with the glutinaters.

That's a secret! wontsayaword.gif

Pizza rolls! smileyvault-excited.gif

notme Experienced

saturday night we went to a mardi gras themed party - it was ALL ABOUT THE FOOD. my friend is an awesome cook. i ate beforehand and brought beers. and sat and drooled as course after delicious-looking course was brought out. they even ordered smoked crawfish sausage shipped in from nola and a real king cake complete with baby...... sigh....... but i was strong and didn't give in to temptation.

super bowl party at our son's house <still seems so wierd to say! when did they get this old?

husband made his 'famous' marmalade-soy wings

i made gluten-free lobster pizza. which i didn't share as my revenge for saturday. so ha. ;)

and mixed salad w/peach compote and munster cheese

and they made a bunch of stuff i couldn't eat, too. oh, they had REAL pretzels like the NYC garbagecan lid kind. but i did not eat them either. (jerks. lolz at least they could make food i dislike!!)

GFreeMO Proficient

I am making taco salad tonight. :)

I'm kind of not digging Pace salsa anymore. Anyone know of any good ones?