This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

Jestgar Rising Star

To make up for yesterday's chip dinner I had split pea squash soup for breakfast.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

jess-gf Explorer

My adventures in meat continue with a pot roast recipe that looks easy enough that I can do it: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/pot_roast/

I'm making it in a crockpot - I didn't have any red wine so instead I used 1/4c beef stock 1/4c sherry and I added 1 tsp cinnamon as one commenter suggested (I love cinnamon!). This is my first pot roast ever so we'll see how it turns out! I also plan to add carrots and new potatoes in the last hour.

Rowena Rising Star

HAWAIIAN HAYSTACKS. Man I love my crockpot. Makes working and being your stereotypical housewife so much easier.

Recipe? Heck yes, I will post it...

Cut the chicken up into small cubes and toss into the crockpot.Chop up half an onion and toss that in. (The yellow onion that is out on the top shelf.)There are some cream of chx soup mixes in the cupboard. Take two of those (they are in little box like things) and put them in the crockpot.Add the rest of the open soy milk carton and the rest of the open rice milk carton to the soup and chicken mix. Add about an eighth of a cup of arrowroot starch.Spice with Salt, Pepper, Poultry Seasoning (not too shabby on the poultry seasoning)Turn crockpot on high, and then when you leave this afternoon turn it on low.(Don't forget to stir now and then... Especially after you put the arrowroot in)

Sorry I copied the recipe from my email when I sent it to my husband so its got more notes that I don't care to take out. (For the record you do not have to use soy milk, I personally prefer rice milk, but I had just a little bit left in the carton so I said use that too. Sorry I don't have exact measurements... I rarely do)

Wenmin Enthusiast

Eye of the Round Roast, White beans and rice and steamed cauliflower, carrots, and mushrooms.

Dixiebell Contributor

Homemade chili and corn chips.

jerseyangel Proficient

Tonight--homemade macaroni and cheese with spinach sauteed in olive oil and garlic.

kitgordon Explorer

Hormel flavored pork loin with oven roasted potatoes and broccoli was last night's dinner. Tonight I am being lazy and having frozen gluten-free pizza.

The Betty Crocker liveglutenfreely website is a great resource for recipes. I have used a number of them with great success.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Gluten free pizza! Using King Arthur's recipeand flour mix. This is only my second time making it. It was really good the first time though.

Dixiebell Contributor

Baked ham, gluten-free/DF scalloped potatoes and green beans.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

Protein shake <_<

:P

Jestgar Rising Star

turkey soup

jerseyangel Proficient

Sausage and black olive pizza.

sa1937 Community Regular

The absolute last of the Thanksgiving leftovers! Ugh! I skipped the past two nights by eating other things and now I need to get these things out of my fridge. tongue.gif

Juliebove Rising Star

I had a big bowl of leftover cranberry salad and a prepared falafel wrap from the grocery store. The wrap wasn't gluten-free but I don't need gluten-free. The store does make prepared falafel patties and I do get those sometimes. They are gluten-free. I also get some lettuce and tomato slices from their prepared food bar. We make sandwiches out of them. I put a patty between two tomato slices and daughter uses the lettuce on the outside because she dislikes tomato.

Daughter had some things from the salad bar and again a toasted cheese sandwich.

Tomorrow night? Have to take daughter to the dance studio for a private lesson. Have to leave early and pack her a dinner. I will come home to eat. For her I will chop up a prepared Hormel chicken breast in gravy, make some instant mashed potatoes and also send in some baby carrots and apple slices if I still have some. If I don't, then some applesauce.

Not sure what I will have. I have a can of chili, some frozen hamburger patties, Ian's chicken nuggets, refried beans and corn tortillas. Also have some shredded lettuce and of course the baby carrots. Will be one something from that list.

mushroom Proficient

Microwave reheated some barbecued butterflied leg of lamb in an Orgran gravy mix, with some reheated Parsnip/cabbage Colcannon, and a microwave jacket potato setting yam. which is another way of saying leftovers with a yam :P

wildwood Apprentice

I got called in to work a temp job today so it will be a super easy "hamburger goulash". I chopped an onion, put it in the crock pot with a pound of ground beef and a can of Progresso cream of mushroom soup and some additonal mushrooms. I will serve with Sam's Mill corn bow ties or microwaved baked potatoes and a yet to be named green vegetable. Have not decided yet........

mbrookes Community Regular

Oven roasted pot roast with carrots, onions, potatoes. I put lipton onion soup in the water, and made gravy with potato starch. I made a brussel sprouts casserole with dried cranberries and almond slivers.

Be careful with the Lipton's onion soup. They have changed the recipe and the last box I looked at had barley.

jenngolightly Contributor

Tonight it's chili in the crock pot: hamburger, onions, green pepper, kidney beans, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper. I'll add some cheese on top.

Green salad with homemade salad dressing: lemon juice, shallots, mint, mustard, salt, olive oil.

That's me on my gluten free/specific carb diet. 6 months on the SCD diet, 6 to go! I can't wait to have chocolate. Whoever posted the brownie in a mug recipe... omg, I hate you. :-) But I copied it into a document so I can make it on May 23, 2011.

sa1937 Community Regular

Homemade veggie-beef soup pulled from my stash in the freezer. I also made banana bread and have already eaten 3 slices. Argh! ph34r.gif I had planned to have that later tonight. Guess "later" will be a couple of clementines.

jess-gf Explorer

I have a question. I have some leftover pot roast, a box of opened beef stock I don't think I'll use within a week, and some leftover tinkyada noodles. Can I made a soup out of this stuff? Or should I freeze it?

kareng Grand Master

I have a question. I have some leftover pot roast, a box of opened beef stock I don't think I'll use within a week, and some leftover tinkyada noodles. Can I made a soup out of this stuff? Or should I freeze it?

Yes or Yes.

One thing I like to do with left over stock is freeze it in measured amounts that you use for a recipe. If you make something that calls for 1/4 cup, freeze it in 1/4 cup sizes.

Juliebove Rising Star

Leftover pot roast makes the best soup! I would also add some veggies such as onions carrots and celery at a minimum. Maybe also green beans, corn and peas. Heat it through and then add the noodles since they are already cooked.

sa1937 Community Regular

I have a beef chuck roast in my freezer and plan to use part of it for veggie-beef soup. It makes great soup! I'll have some of it as a roast (browned and then put in my crockpot) and then use a portion of the meat for soup by adding celery, onion, tomatoes and a bag of mixed frozen veggies. If need be, I'll add a box of Progresso beef broth. Most anything goes. I live alone so no way could I just eat it as a roast. Last time I made soup like this I used a package of beef stew meat. Couldn't live with my crockpots!

In years past I used to make beef stroganoff out of leftover roast and serve it over rice or noodles (avoiding dairy right now so that's out).

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Tonight we're having Kung Pao chicken with fried mung bean noodles (I'm getting tired or rice, lol).

jess-gf Explorer

Hmm I'll have to try those soup suggestions. Thanks guys :)

Tonight I am using my crockpot again, I love that thing! I'm cooking a whole chicken in there (though I bought it already in pieces). I'm following this recipe http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/baked-slow-cooker-chicken/Detail.aspx but I added in some potatos and carrots at the bottom.. just realized now I forgot onions, oops.. then I added butter to the top, freshly squeezed juice of an orange and I also tossed in what was left of the orange itself, a drizzle of honey, extra paprika. I have no idea if it will taste good or not.