This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

Takala Enthusiast

What looks like fat and makes you fat, but isn't fatty fat?

Gelato!

Husband is making chile for dinner, because we finally ran out of the Indian curries we made last thurs/friday. Our 14 year old microwave is not wanting to start anymore, so we are having to boil water on the stove for coffee.... I managed to set off the smoke alarm doing this. :rolleyes: I would like to get a new mic just like the old one, and of course, now they are different, stylish, and fancier, which I do not need :P.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

mushroom Proficient

I would like to get a new mic just like the old one, and of course, now they are different, stylish, and fancier, which I do not need :P.

Now you're starting to sound like me. I took my old one in and had it fixed, paid almost as much as for a new one, because I liked it better :D

kareng Grand Master

Gelato!

Husband is making chile for dinner, because we finally ran out of the Indian curries we made last thurs/friday. Our 14 year old microwave is not wanting to start anymore, so we are having to boil water on the stove for coffee.... I managed to set off the smoke alarm doing this. :rolleyes: I would like to get a new mic just like the old one, and of course, now they are different, stylish, and fancier, which I do not need :P.

I know what you mean. My microwave does 40 things and we use 3 of them - time, one minute button and sometimes the power level when defrosting.

GottaSki Mentor

micros...ya mine died about two years ago...it was at least 20 years old...was great. hubby decided because of the age of our old one and i was whining about the new ones...he could bring home a jobsite jobby -- ewwwwww! Then I tried a cheap model...thinking simple is what i need...couldn't even pop corn for the teens.

saw a nice simple one at target...this conversation reminded me...i'm buying it.

IrishHeart Veteran

What looks like fat and makes you fat, but isn't fatty fat?

Answer: Edema. i.e., water, H20!!!

Oh yeah. I have a pic of me where I look as if someone had injected me with air. Think the Michelin Man. Edema--even my knees were fat

when I was deathly ill and headed towards emaciated.

Now that I have reduced some of that inflammation? I look like I lost a lot of weight, even though the jeans are still a bit snug..

So, yes, I still have some "adipose tissue" (as Lovey calls it ) that needs to go.

As for the microwave, I confess I did not even own one until I met the hubs. He thought I was a dinosaur even back then. I like things simple and I adapted to this new toy in the kitchen. The one he had for so long did two things. defrost and timed heating. I liked it. Then, it broke. Had to "learn the new one". Have no clue what 3/4 of those buttons do and I really do not care to learn. I'm so "old school"--- I know.sigh

I mostly use it for the heat packs for my neck and back. :lol:

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Well, dinner in the next 20 minutes and still a bit rough. Got to try and find something quick for the glutenhedz that doesn't make me want to hurl. And something for me, the same..

Tomorrow will be better :)

love2travel Mentor

Oh, Mindwarp, that's a great attitude! Tomorrow is a new day. :)

I am making pasta with a delicious marinara sauce (homemade, of course). Smaller portions than in my previous life (up to yesterday). And a simple baby greens and arugula salad with "candied" pecans caramelized pear vinaigrette. No dessert - we are on a mission to lose this adipose tissue!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Managed a bit of sweet potato and a cheese omelette. Much happier now :)

alex11602 Collaborator

Chicken rice soup tonight since that will feel good on my sore throat and ears.

GottaSki Mentor

Grumps here is having a heaping plate of Japanese Sweet Potato Fries

Men are having TriTip with something white and something green ;)

Edited after a small attitude adjustment - aka a glass of SinZin :D

Hope all my silly pals are feeling strong manana!

shadowicewolf Proficient

Beef noodle soup. Its almost done :)

IrishHeart Veteran

We have a blizzard bearing down on us, so I just made some rolls, and I am making bison chili for backup

and for dinner tonight:

Roasted chicken.

Sage stuffing with apples.

Sweet potato, carrot, apple and cranberry gratin

Butternut squash, goat cheese, leeks and hazelnut gratin

Tossed mixed greens, radishes, cukes, yellow baby tomatoes with champagne vinaigrette.

I can always reheat things on the wood stove if the power goes out and the generator does not start (or fails).

but if we lose the internet, well, I'll see you in a few days!

sad-penguin-smiley-emoticon.gif

shadowicewolf Proficient

There's a reason to love the wood stoves :)

I kinda/maybe overcooked the pasta in my soup. Hard to tell really. It says not to, but i didn't see any difference. Maybe i hit it right on the mark? They were the ancient harvest quinoa shells by the way. I think it might be because they supposably desolve? Meh, no matter, still was good. :)

Stir fry tonight, turkey, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms rice and gluten-free soy sauce.

Looks like a few steps back then start the reintroductions again next week.

IrishHeart Veteran

Guys.

Make this!

Butternut squash, leeks, goat cheese and toasted hazelnut gratin

One of my old tried and true favs and I made it again today after a long time.......and the hubs said "outstanding, babe"

You will not be sorry ! :) .

http://www.epicuriou...azelnuts-240412

sora Community Regular

IH your dinner sound mighty good.

So so cold here today. We had Maple bacon, maple sausage, eggs and tater tots. I feel much warmer now.

I think I will make some banana bread for later.

love2travel Mentor

Simply made a bowl of shrimp fried rice crammed with lots of veg. Back is absolutely killing me so that is all I could do.

IrishHeart Veteran

IH your dinner sound mighty good.

So so cold here today. We had Maple bacon, maple sausage, eggs and tater tots. I feel much warmer now.

I think I will make some banana bread for later.

Considering I know the pain you are in, :(that's a lot of cooking, honey. I hope the doc can help you ASAP. xx

Simply made a bowl of shrimp fried rice crammed with lots of veg. Back is absolutely killing me so that is all I could do.

I am so sorry to hear this, sweet girl :(

My back and neck are squawking at me, too today. Dammit, this celiac-related pain just plain sucks. There, I said it. <_<

So, I got the Taza Chocolate Mexicano sampler for the hubs to try it. Early Valentine's gift. (made in a gluten-free facility near my hometown of Boston).

My honest opinion? Yuck. Everything tastes like pepper(even in the orange flavored one) and the texture is awful. Tastes like sandy grit in every bite. Just not rocking my world at all.

I am a purist, so take it for what it is worth. And to each his/her own. :)

Adalaide Mentor

So, I got the Taza Chocolate Mexicano sampler for the hubs to try it. Early Valentine's gift. (made in a gluten-free facility near my hometown of Boston).

My honest opinion? Yuck. Everything tastes like pepper(even in the orange flavored one) and the texture is awful. Tastes like sandy grit in every bite. Just not rocking my world at all.

I am a purist, so take it for what it is worth. And to each his/her own. :)

Not good as chocolate for eating. On the other hand, if you grate a whole disk for a cup of hot chocolate, which I make with milk while the traditional way is in water (YUCK!!!) I like it just fine. I'm also pretty snobby about my chocolate, and it is quite a bit cheaper than I am used to so I didn't have particularly high expectations for it as food. I really only wanted it for hot chocolate anyway and will probably buy more for that purpose.

I've been kinda MIA lately I know.. but I couldn't resist the urge to talk about chocolate! I've been lurking but not posting, I feel like hell. In the past few weeks the issue with my left leg has escalated from painful to cry myself to sleep at night sort of pain. Only 12 more days until my Dr. appt. At this point I am barely a functional human being. I am somehow still managing supper most nights. When I just can't I have vast quantities of milk and fruit or something. There are times I'm lucky I can navigate the stairs to the kitchen, I seriously need an escalator. :D Tonight, because I'm some sort of masochist or something, I am keeping my promise to myself to finally attend the local support group. I sure hope there is food!

IrishHeart Veteran

I noticed you were missing but I did not want to bug you on email, asking...whassup??

but you were missed, honey.

Sorry you are not feeling well. I GET pain and I know how much it sucks.

I hope you feel better soon and I hope the doc gives you answers and relief.

Hugs, IH

Looks like we are all having some pain issues lately. :(

GottaSki Mentor

Logged on too late - will try the butternut squash recipe tomorrow :D

Huge batch of ribs almost ready to come outta the oven to the bbq - they were marked down as they needed to be used by Sat - no problem - family and neighbors will be happy to help use them up tomorrow.

Crazy day in SoCal today - son's HS called to say they were on lockdown then got email that our "home" mtn that is 130 miles north - was shutting down for safety - crazy both were triggered by the same guy.

IrishHeart Veteran

Crazy day in SoCal today - son's HS called to say they were on lockdown then got email that our "home" mtn that is 130 miles north - was shutting down for safety - crazy both were triggered by the same guy.

:o everything ok?

sora Community Regular

yellow-smiley-confused-emoticon.gif What's up?Everyone is feeling poor today.

Hope everyone starts feeling better soon.

GottaSki Mentor

:o everything ok?

Fine with our family and friends - but am worried for search & rescue and sheriff up there this evening - the story is on cnn tonight....sad situation all around.

Hope everyone is feeling better soon - too much pain circulating with sillies this week - oh stay warm Irish!

kareng Grand Master

Whoa, Lisa! That's some crazy s&%&!

I made some ground turkey chili in the crockpot