This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

GottaSki Mentor

Caught a bug that was going around. I've still sort of got it. :blink: I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It'll be a week tommorow that i've had it. Though, i have been feeling better, my stomach is taking its sweet time.

Good thing you have experience with such matters - hope you are full strength very soon - you'll need it with the overload of units this semester - take care :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Encore bol.

And turns out yogurt is a no on the reintroductions. Might try dairy again in a few months.

GottaSki Mentor

Encore bol.

And turns out yogurt is a no on the reintroductions. Might try dairy again in a few months.

Sorry to hear about yogurt -- just wanted to add -- make sure you try other dairy -- yogurt can be hard on the healing digestive tract for other reasons than dairy. I can't eat it because of my issue with high histamine/histamine inducing foods -- my damaged small intestine can't make the two enzymes necessary to regulate histamine....here are a couple links - just so your familiar with this random group of potential problem foods:

http://www.urticaria.thunderworksinc.com/pages/lowhistamine.htm

http://www.allergyuk.org/downloads/factsheets/intolerances-and-sentivities/Histamine%20Intolerance.pdf

http://www.ehow.com/info_8110125_high-histamine-foods.html

along with a great article IrishHeart found:

http://thatpaleoguy.com/2011/04/11/histamine-intolerance/

GottaSki Mentor

Hey, Lisa!! Looked like Dorner offed himself!

Unfortunately he took a couple more Big Bear police with him - asshat. Sad story from start to end, but glad it is done -- tired of them shutting down the roads to my sanctuary ;)

Thanks Ski

I have several of those symptoms, eczema, menstrual stuff, rhinitis headaches, and known reactions to red wine, beer, alcohol, chocolate cheese and yogurt, paprika included. And the list of things not to eat more or less describes my current food intake.

I am going to try taking the diet back to whole30 for a couple of weeks, then decide what to add or remove next.

I feel the need for an enormous spreadsheet (and maybe a week off...)

Dinner still far from my mind, might manage breakfast by 2pm :)

GottaSki Mentor

Thanks Ski

I have several of those symptoms, eczema, menstrual stuff, rhinitis headaches, and known reactions to red wine, beer, alcohol, chocolate cheese and yogurt, paprika included. And the list of things not to eat more or less describes my current food intake.

I am going to try taking the diet back to whole30 for a couple of weeks, then decide what to add or remove next.

I feel the need for an enormous spreadsheet (and maybe a week off...)

Dinner still far from my mind, might manage breakfast by 2pm :)

Yep...I had to use Excel to create a chart to track everything back when I was trialing...I'll send it to you...it's not complete because I just learned about the histamine issue this past Fall -- interestingly many of my one-off items were on the histamine no-no list.

Cool :)

I am very out of practice, but did used to do such things for a living (and suspect a least mild discalclia :) )

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

For Goodness Sake....

If anyone is seeing the nonsense that our friendly news vultures are putting out regarding the blaze that ended Dorner....Angeles Oaks which is where the cabin that burned is located is NO WHERE near the town/of Big Bear or major population. It is about 45 minutes down a mountain road -- a few cabins - maybe two campgrounds and a diner are the entirety of where this cabin was located. He likely hiked out a bit...stole a car or two down the mountain and ended in Angeles Oaks. I am not defending Dorner's actions -- just the misinformation running rampant.

Our family continues to mourn the officers killed and pray for those wounded along with their fellow officers and families.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I'm just trying to figure out how they found his ID in that charred rubble. I've dug through a

burned-down house.....

Adalaide Mentor

I'm just trying to figure out how they found his ID in that charred rubble. I've dug through a

burned-down house.....

You know, I have asked myself that same question many times. How does a body get burned so badly that you can't identify it but you can read the ID? Something seems fishy in Denmark.

I am also quite in the habit of taking the national news with a grain of salt. There was a news story several months ago about a dude in Salt Lake City who was trapped in some tunnels below the city for a few days with a compound fracture of his leg and when no one came to rescue him and he had no food and water he eventually had to get himself out. It was all blah blah blah, he's such a hero and a trooper for saving himself. The local news talked about how it is illegal to be down there, he fell off the side of a walkway and frankly is a moron for spending like three days without food and water before crawling out since he obviously could. <_< So with the difference in stories like that I just sort of shrug and always assume there is more that I don't know.

In good news, I was at the store this week and found strawberries for $1 a box and got so excited I bought 3 boxes. After I got home I realized I had no idea what I wanted them for since in the past the only reason I buy them is for shortcake and I usually either made shortcake or just bought an angel food cake. Well, I can't exactly just go buy an angel food cake and for all of my baking experience I have never made one before. :blink: So, queue google. I eventually picked out a recipe I liked and only made half just in case it sucked. (That is the way it is meant to be done right?) I popped the cake out of the oven and waited an interminable hour, I thought I might die... and finally unpanned it and cut a very small piece. It was like heaven! I just used the recipe from the King Arthur website and my pastry flour blend from my Christmas cookies from the Dec issues of Living Without.

In bad news, I don't think there will be any cake left for dessert tonight so I'm going to have to make another. :lol: What? Pancakes and fruit are a breakfast food so why not cake and strawberries? It already started as half a cake, then I was so in love I kept cutting little pieces and well to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure how it got mostly gone. :ph34r:

IrishHeart Veteran

It already started as half a cake, then I was so in love I kept cutting little pieces and well to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure how it got mostly gone. :ph34r:

little teeny mice?

eating-cake.gif

alex11602 Collaborator

Tonight I'm making our traditional Valentine's Day pizza for the girls (hopefully Gluten Free Pantry crust will come through and it will be a heart shape like I used to be able to make.) I'll be making about 4 different pizzas since we are having dinner with the neighbors. One will be pepperoni (shaped like a heart), a cheese, a meat and broccoli (my favorite) and then we will have mini heart shaped brownies for dessert.

Whatever Mr Mindwarp appears with from the kitchen. I think it involves salmon and samphire.

And he brought home flowers :)

Adalaide Mentor

Well, there wasn't enough angel food cake left for it to make dessert tonight. :ph34r: So, I have a daffodil angel food cake cooling and waiting to come out of the pan now. I just popped a bowl of lemon curd into the fridge. I'll also get a blueberry glaze together in a bit. I'm just taking a few minutes to rest my leg before getting going again while I wait for my cast iron pan to get hot. Next step is to get the lard melting to make fried chicken. I'll have a baked potato but I'm sure that he'll want french fries. If I have time I may even get around to some fried green beans.

This is as good as it gets for V day for us. It just seems silly to me to celebrate beyond a meal with mildly more than usual effort since our anniversary is this month every few years.

GottaSki Mentor

Left my electronics shut down last night...

Dinner was:

Steak - everyone's favorite

Baked Mac and Cheese - one son's favorite

Cauliflower "Fried Rice" - my favorite when hubby makes for me -- which he did and added halved baby brussel sprouts -- YUM!

Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting for extended family.

I licked my finger when making the frosting -- no adverse reactions to report :D

GottaSki Mentor

Oh...tonight I'm stealing Alex's idea -- was going to make pizza for the other son yesterday as a Valintine, but ran out of time -- hadn't thought of making heartshaped ones, so toight we'll have heartshaped personal pizzas for everyone - except me ;)

Adalaide Mentor

Tonight will be easy. I am dying for some mac and cheese so I think I'll throw some together this afternoon. Besides that I always make enough fried chicken to have some the next night because of how labor intensive it is to make. And cake, there is still plenty of cake. Know the song I want a hippopotamus for Christmas? I've got that stuck in my head now only I think I'm going to BE a hippopotamus for Christmas if I don't stop baking. :lol:

kareng Grand Master

Anyone know what "sweet rice flour" is? I have a recipe for lime bars that uses white rice flour and sweet rice flour (about 1/4 of the total flour) for the crust. WF didn't have any. I think I'll try it with just white rice flour and see what happens.

mushroom Proficient

Synonymous terms: sweet rice flour; sticky rice flour; glutinous rice flour; i.e., any rice flour that isn't called white or brown :D

kareng Grand Master

Synonymous terms: sweet rice flour; sticky rice flour; glutinous rice flour; i.e., any rice flour that isn't called white or brown :D

They didn't have any flour named those. Think it will work with just the rice flour?

GottaSki Mentor

They didn't have any flour named those. Think it will work with just the rice flour?

I've used regular white rice flour in similar circumstance -- worked fine.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Making mac and cheese tonight. Stomach decided that milk stuffs was okay.

At any rate, I was going to go do some food shopping today, but the wind picked up like mad and started to spit snow.

CommonTater Contributor

We had fish, fries, hush puppies and slaw. OH MY GOSH was it good, I was in HEAVEN! We ordered the hush puppy mix from from a Grist mill from back home and it makes the BEST hush puppies we've ever had! I just recently realized we could order it online. We did add finely chop onion to the batter. HAVE MERCY. They were VERY light and fluffy and naturally gluten free because they don't process any wheat in there! We also ordered grits, cornbread mix and rice. It is the best we've ever had. I would share a photo but it won't let me post it unless I have an URL.

In case anyone is interested,

http://palmettofarms.com/

Salmon, rice, stir fry peppers, zucchini, mushrooms.

And an evening of singing and unexpectedly catching up with a load of old friends, some of whom I haven't seen for over 15 years. It was great :)

love2travel Mentor

Lemon and orange Roast Chicken au Jus

Roast Baby Potatoes with Fresh Herbs

Steamed Broccoli

Strawberries with balsamic and pepper