This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I have no idea what all this robotics is, but I think my son would love it.

Good luck to all of you with kids involved :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

GottaSki Mentor

Good Morning Dinner Peeps!

Yes, I am back and feeling great this morning -- this week really was tough -- still have no idea what caused the anaphylactic crisis -- part of me suspects a combo of environmental and food -- was the freshly baked chicken to blame? tossed the left overs just in case.  Was the extremely high pollen count last Sunday or the heat in my kitchen while baking to blame?  maybe.  The 20 minutes I spent in the direct sun without hat while planting some herbs?  Or perhaps the mass number of gluten eaters attending son's "house show" the day before contaminated our home a bit?  don't know -- fed the masses fresh popcorn and other gluten-free treats, but one never knows...house has been scrubbed from top to bottom including all door knobs - just in case.

Feel like celebrating today -- so something sinful for desert for my men -- youngest comes home today from visiting my oldest and her kids for the past four days -- miss him a lot and will be glad to see his smiling face :D

Adalaide Mentor

Glad to see you are feeling better. :) One of the worst things in the world for me is not knowing something, so I'd be pretty close to criminally insane by now if I were in your place.

Got some beautiful lettuce this morning. I popped a chicken breast in some balsamic vinaigrette to do something like get delicious. I'll throw that on my indoor grill and make some apple walnut salads for dinner. I have one fuji left from last week that will be perfect for salads.

I'm also going to throw together an apple crisp with my green apples and something resembling macintosh maybe. Not sure really, but they're little and red and I'm sure they'll be fine with the tarts. Since that isn't enough to fit my Grammy's rule of 3 types of apples I'll probably throw in a pear for good measure. There are some rules of life you don't break, and Grammy's rules (especially baking rules) are on the top of that list.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Glad to see you are feeling better. :) One of the worst things in the world for me is not knowing something, so I'd be pretty close to criminally insane by now if I were in your place.

Got some beautiful lettuce this morning. I popped a chicken breast in some balsamic vinaigrette to do something like get delicious. I'll throw that on my indoor grill and make some apple walnut salads for dinner. I have one fuji left from last week that will be perfect for salads.

I'm also going to throw together an apple crisp with my green apples and something resembling macintosh maybe. Not sure really, but they're little and red and I'm sure they'll be fine with the tarts. Since that isn't enough to fit my Grammy's rule of 3 types of apples I'll probably throw in a pear for good measure. There are some rules of life you don't break, and Grammy's rules (especially baking rules) are on the top of that list.

If that crisp comes out good, post the recipe :lol:

Mac and cheese.... Its been a while since i've had it.

Adalaide Mentor

I don't know what is wrong tonight. I'm not contaminated or anything, but I am having the worst stomach pains. I had a little earlier, but it went away and I thought nothing more of it. Then tonight when I dragged my husband out for shopping it came back. With a vengeance no less.

So, the apple crisp is on hold until tomorrow. Hoping this passes by morning and my stomach gets a hold of itself and knocks this crap off. I can handle all the intestinal nonsense in the world, but stomach pain? I'm such a baby. :ph34r:

ETA: For the record, I'll just use the recipe out of my Betty Crocker cook book and use a different flour. I am fine with oats and I wouldn't call it an apple crisp without them.

GottaSki Mentor

Hey Addie...hoping your tummy is all better in the morning -- if not hope it is a very short lived little bug.

mushroom Proficient

Hubs cooked dinner last night. He made a mushroom gravy with shallots to smother the swedish meatballs and we were both at a loss as to the sweetness of the gravy.  I accused him of using powdered sugar by mistake to thicken it but he claimed not.  I had recently introduced him to the cannned condensed milk I keep in the pantry for run-out-of-milk emergencies (along with the boxes which had all been used up :rolleyes: ) and was unaware he had used that since we had milk in the fridge.  However today, I opened the refrigerator and there was an opened can of SWEETENED condensed milk :lol: -- sweet gravy explained!!  It was not overly sweet wine or overly ripe shallots or any of a hundred other explanations proffered :P:lol:  It was an interesting touch to a savoury meal.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Interesting indeed...sweet story...sweet meal and sweet hubs,

Mine made me my fave.....cauli fried rice :D

Gotta love a really great partner in crime and fun!

PS...and yep - those of us that have lived the "in sickness" part of the vows and fulfilled them...really do have a lot more fun -- nuf said ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

Gotta love a really great partner in crime and fun!

PS...and yep - those of us that have lived the "in sickness" part of the vows and fulfilled them...really do have a lot more fun -- nuf said ;)

And you always know for sure who your best friend is. :)

Nothing says love like someone holding your hair back while you hurl.

Dinner tonight:

Corned beef and cabbage, potatoes, carrots and turnips

(it's not just for St. Paddy's in our house) and while it simmers, we'll continue our house cleaning.

Got through the 5 weeks of mail. they held for us. Very interesting the volume of trash we get.

85% catalogs,fliers and coupons--went right into the recycle bin.

10% statements or receipts (which I already get on email and told them to stop wasting paper)

One thank you note (yer velcome!)

One invitation to a bridal shower (Missed it and what a shame--not--I loathe those things)

One new baby pic (awww adorable! My Godchild has a kid now. Crap, I'm old)

One envelope with funnies and an article on a celiac  vaccine they are working on from my Mom (she's old school--no computer and we saw that article 3 weeks ago)

and one "save the date" for a wedding in DEC.(really, who plans that far ahead?) 

We just eloped.

Mail isn't fun anymore. The last fun thing I got in the mail were my pink bike streamers from SKI. :wub:

Well, just got back from a shopping trip. Managed to get to a bathroom for 1st round of D, in the car for 1st V. Very focused yoga breathing for 40 min journey home ( last time I had to do that was in a small airplane on a windy day, over the grand canyon. Mr Mindwarp was not so lucky that time). Finished the job at home. Rest now, narrowing possible culprits later :(:)

PS hello everyone x

IrishHeart Veteran

Well, just got back from a shopping trip. Managed to get to a bathroom for 1st round of D, in the car for 1st V. Very focused yoga breathing for 40 min journey home ( last time I had to do that was in a small airplane on a windy day, over the grand canyon. Mr Mindwarp was not so lucky that time). Finished the job at home. Rest now, narrowing possible culprits later :(:)

PS hello everyone x

Poor babe! Nothing like trying to keep things in check while in public. Sorry. Get some rest.

If it makes you feel any better to have a buddy in distress, I have not felt well for 4 days.

Many potty trips and on Thursday, I had to find one QUICKLY in a grocery store. That hasn't happened to me in a year.

Not a glutening, no way. no how. Methinks I overdid the "fun foods" and the wine.

Or I've got some type of gastroenteritis.

meh, we could speculate endlessly, I guess.

I've doubled the probiotics and I am back on the short food list.

What the heck is going on with all the dinner chat peeps? :blink:

GottaSki Mentor

Rest is right!!!

feel better soon :)

Adalaide Mentor

I'm not going to spend all my time speculating on what happened to my stomach. I will simply curse it until it knocks off this stupid crap. I feel "better" this morning, but that is simply relative. I think I feel better enough to be making apple crisp though. Those apples aren't going to use themselves up.

Everybody needs to feel better.

Dinner tonight will be easy. My husband was dying for some kielbasa I can't have cause of the MSG, I told him just to get it and I would make it for him. I will have mac & cheese and a burger and asparagus. Hah! I win.

Oh, and on the old front, my daughter will be graduating from high school in a month. A month! How did 18 years just happen that fast? I'm pretty sure they took a hell of a lot longer when I was in school. One more to kid to keep on the college path for a year and then they're both all grown up.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Left over mac and cheese with asparagus...

I omitted the butter last night, reduced the amount of milk, a touch of corn starch, and kept the amount of cheese the same. It came out cheesier than before. That's a keeper.

GottaSki Mentor

Our youngest turns 18 this month and graduates HS in june and - NO - it can't possibly be true - me thinks our calenndar is broke ;)

Hoping my sister makes it to Sunday dinner so we are having nothiing green - well I am as id starve without that color of food.

Pork Chops and baked apples or maybe dessert should be something like apple crisp - great idea. Macaroni and Cheese - oh and for that yooungest kid - he gets his own mini honey baked ham as he was traveling when we had Easter 2.0 last week.

Edited to add:

Apple Crisp in the oven which got me two rather nice hugs from my sons -- thanks Addie :) -- also happens to sneak something green into Sissy ;)

Also think we'll switch to scalloped potato as that never got made last Sunday. 

Edited by GottaSki
Adalaide Mentor

I made a fruit crisp instead of apple crisp. My husband took my fuji apple for work so I improvised. I used my tart apples, some pears and some strawberries. It could have used some corn starch or a flour dusting to thicken the fruit, but otherwise it is awesome. I used this recipe for the topping and six cups of fruit. http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/apple-crisp/3715a45c-3c00-430c-bbe2-9865f9013238 I can't remember, I used either sorghum or brown rice flour, one of the ones in my freezer, and cold butter, not soft. I have no idea why they would print something that stupid on their website.

Sounds like some improvement all round, good news :)

I am tired but no migraine or frogs, so chief suspect is turkey steak which didn't get chucked, so I assumed was ok (not that I am shifting the blame or anything ;) ). So common or garden food poisoning.

Managed scrambled egg for breakfast.

You folks managed to have kids at a much more sensible age than me. I will be in my mid and late 50s when mine get to that age (menopause and puberty set to coincide. Think Mr Mw may move to the garage).

How exciting to see them grown up :)

Have a good week everyone x

GottaSki Mentor

Glad dinner peeps are feeling a bit better -- IH - how about you today?

So some of you may have seen my Cobalt Blue toenail picture -- today I am sporting matching sparkly cobalt blue fingernails -- a bit of back story:

One of my favorite local tv anchormen -- also a staunch environmentalist and natural remedy for home and garden guru was diagnosed with a huge brain tumor in January -- he called it "blob" and had Blob removed within a day of it's discovery -- he has since been blogging and talking on the radio whenever possible about his journey - which has now been renamed "Blue on You" -- you see the day he got out of the hospital he went to the salon with his wife - never having been to this type of establishment he thought - why not and asked for a manicure -- when the nail gal asked he wanted polish - he said - no, then changed his mind and said "why, not!" 

He asked his wife what color he should get as he was stumped by all the choices -- she said she had read that Cobalt Blue is a healing color so he chose that and has sported bright blue nails since -- not just him -- very formal newscasters thru-out san diego painted their nails as a show of support along with a few radio show hosts that started talking about it -- before you knew it there was an outbreak of blue nails in san diego county -- I painted my toes when I heard about it in honor of our fellow c.com member KristenL and sent her a bottle to paint her own nails with -- she has a very scary surgery tomorrow and another fellow member GFLover has had other very tough procedures this week so now my finger nails are blue too!!!  Since bright blue nails are a bit out of character for me - when folks comment I tell them the story I have typed here and ask that they add their healing thoughts in with mine for all of our friends, neighbors and even strangers that are struggling to heal.

Hey Addie!!!  Thanks for the great idea -- I made my crisp with an EZ button -- lots of butter, brown sugar and gluten-free yellow cake mix -- but got even more hugs and words of gratitude from hubby, sons and my dad :)

Tonight is Rosemary Chicken and some other stuff -- everyone continue to feel better and if not eat something yummy!

IrishHeart Veteran

I will be in my mid and late 50s when mine get to that age (menopause and puberty set to coincide. Think Mr Mw may move to the garage).

Mr. Mw may move to the States :lol: .

Glad dinner peeps are feeling a bit better -- IH - how about you today?

I tell them the story I have typed here and ask that they add their healing thoughts in with mine for all of our friends, neighbors and even strangers that are struggling to heal.

Better, thanks. Obviously, the high histamines and lack of DAO enzyme are still my nemesis for now (damn you, celiac! <_< ) so it's back to the

"short list" and back to the gym this AM.

I simply cannot believe how much pain that darn inflammation causes. Last night, I was on fire, my neck and back in spasms and quite frankly, it made me cry. I never do that unless it is god-awful....argh. geesh. 

ah well, Life goes on. And I should not complain when others have bigger battles right now.

.....and your blue toes and fingers are a fabulous idea.. I'd paint myself cobalt blue all over if it would help all our peeps get well.

Let's all keep Kristen and Colleen in our thoughts. We send them  :wub: 

Dinner tonight:

A pork tenderloin

applesauce

the potatoes, carrots, cabbage etc, from the CB dinner--will most likely be made into a hash of some sort.

GottaSki Mentor

You folks managed to have kids at a much more sensible age than me. I will be in my mid and late 50s when mine get to that age (menopause and puberty set to coincide. Think Mr Mw may move to the garage).

How exciting to see them grown up :)

Have a good week everyone x

Not to worry Mw -- you will be a healthy mid 50 - rather than an undiagnosed Celiac!  You'll be running circles around those grumpy teens -- Me thinks menopause will be a cakewalk comparatively -- and before anyone jumps me -- yes -- I've been thru "the change" -- early thanks to my silly body's inablility to create enough necessary hormones - not sure exactly when it happened but do know I had hormones run four years ago and they were at normal levels then last summer - zip, nada - no wonder I was a mess -- oh...might add needed the blood tests to tell me as I got rid of my dear "Prudence." ten years ago along with all the cancer cells hanging about down there ;)

Feel better Irish!  Ez going at that-there gym and make something yummy for dessert with your short list

PS...off to class -- don't ya love all the "studying" I've been doing this morning - lol that procrastination gene runs strong in our family.

Edited by GottaSki

oooo, I have glittery cobalt blue nail polish here, what a fantastic excuse, I usually save it for music festivals. There sure are some folks need us thinking of them this week, and glittery blue toes would remind me very well.

IH sorry it is all a bit ick at the moment, we are all there with you (but not in an inconvienient visitors you could do without sort of way). Get well soon.

I had sweet potato and a chicken and veg in tomato sauce type of thing. Fortunately Mr MW has come back with some shopping, so real food tomorrow :)

notme Experienced

turned down VIP seats at the California Speedway for Sunday  :o  :blink:  :wacko: I took a sip o' zin and says -- ah honey - why would you turn down those tixs?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT?????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in tennessee, that there's grounds for dee-vorce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that being said, my friend (who is a bms track official) had free tix for me to the sprint cup race at bristol (carried them around in his pocket all day just in case i changed my mind lolz) and i had too much to do to leave for florida that wednesday.  so i had to turn them down.  annnnd, while hubs was rototilling for the garden, he dug up 4 baby bunnies.  we saved them from the cat who was lurking, just to have them die 3 days later.  they were the youngest i ever tried to rehab, they had fur but eyes still closed, so less than a week old.  i feed them kitten replacer milk and have successfully rehabbed probably 20 all told.  but i was researching and they need (haha irony) digestive flora when they are that young and they can only get from their mother's milk or if you feed them rabbit droppings.  so sad, as they were hopping around tuesday night and by wed morn they were dropping like flies.  o well, at least i didn't have to take them to florida lolz

y'all sure have been busy while i've been gone!

tonight it's what i had last night:

seared ahi tuna w/green onion & ginger relish over a garden salad - hubs added goat cheese to his and said it was good, but i had already had enough dairy yesterday.  i also made him a steakk,, as he has been a good boy :)

had daughters in, back to back - got home from florida on wed night, friday the youngest comes in, stays til sunday night when her sister arrived with her husband and the boys, 9 and 4.  they stayed for a week and just left yesterday afternoon.  the 4 had a 1 1/2 hr meltdown not wanting to leave and not wanting to stay without his mother.  every time they come in, i think my sil the marine is getting closer to not re-enlisting - this time he actually looked into a few civilian employment options.  meemo <that's me!< has her fingers crossed!!  i sure miss my kids  :(

IrishHeart Veteran

IH sorry it is all a bit ick at the moment, we are all there with you (but not in an inconvienient visitors you could do without sort of way). 

:lol:  :lol:  that brightened things immensely (thanks, silly girl) xx

GottaSki Mentor

Wow...recently I attended something called the Celiac Awareness Fair when it's nationwide tour stopped in San Diego -- small, but nice with good samples, coupons, etc. and I got to take a couple free yoga for digestion classes -- and the vendor of my "astronaut" food (organic baby food in little pouches that I carry for emergency food - well a bit more often then emergencies was there and I told them they need to make adult versions for those of us with multiple allergy/intolerance issues -- they are which is great news for us big babies!

Now... I just got an email from a local food market that I won a $25 gift card from their raffle -- lol -- could mentioning I post often on here helped my entry find it's way to the winner's basket?  Don't care -- happy for the freebie - will report back on their store in the coming days -- seems they have expanded their gluten-free section, but I had no idea as it happened since I developed my shopping strategies -- hopeful for good prices on some of the gluten-free items my men eat often -- bread, pretzels, rice chips, etc.

Adalaide Mentor

I went to the dentist at noon for a checkup and cleaning. They did a deep cleaning and offered to do it without gassing or numbing me. I about fell out of my chair laughing at the girl. I still can't feel the bottom right side of my face and the bottom left is so sore I could just die. At least I got a free pink toothbrush. I need to start making plans for next week, I go back Wednesday to start bridge work. :ph34r:

Dinner will be soft and easy tonight. I'll probably open a can of beef or turkey and make some mashed potatoes and gravy. At least I have a fruit crisp for dessert. I also have some chocolate ice cream to plop on top of the crisp.

My oldest was home from her First competition and is gone again for another competition. This time she is simply competing for scholarships. Too bad they don't do as many art scholarships as academic and science ones or my youngest would be set too. Then again, as artistic as she is she doesn't want to go to school for art. She actually wants to make a living when she graduates college. :lol: